Posted on 2/14/19 at 7:44 pm to
Tetris 99 is pretty fun
Posted by PEPE
Member since Jun 2018
8198 posts
Posted on 2/14/19 at 10:37 pm to
quote:

Links Awakening switch? I'm in

LA is probably the most underrated Zelda title of all time. You hear tons about OOT, LTTP, and even WW and MM, but never LA. Obviously being a handheld title from the early 90's it's going to have some limitations of its era but it's a great game, especially story wise, it's very philosophical.

LA and Majora's Mask probably are the most two interesting Zelda games in terms of plot, and prove you can have a legit Zelda game experience without the "save Zelda, defeat Gannon" template.

That having been said, not really digging the art style they chose for the Switch version. I think some people like Zelda's art style dramatically changing all over the place almost every title but I don't.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37260 posts
Posted on 2/14/19 at 10:55 pm to
quote:

That having been said, not really digging the art style they chose for the Switch version. I think some people like Zelda's art style dramatically changing all over the place almost every title but I don't.

I'm excited but this as well. I didn't like the art.
Posted by jefforize
Member since Feb 2008
44085 posts
Posted on 2/14/19 at 11:07 pm to
Posted by PEPE
Member since Jun 2018
8198 posts
Posted on 2/14/19 at 11:25 pm to
The only entry that supposedly ever applied to was Wind Waker and I still absolutely despise that artstyle with a passion.

I also think the idea that people mass changed their mind about its artsyle is imagined. The big Wind Waker love fest that has arisen over the past few years is driven mostly by people in their 20's, who would have been very young when they were first playing it on their Gamecube's and wouldn't have thought twice about the artstyle. It's very easy to spot people who's first Zelda game was the Wind Waker. Arstyle aside, the WW is a solid Zelda game but it's currently enjoying the sweet spot in the nostalgia window.
Posted by Drewbie
tFlagship
Member since Jun 2012
57812 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 4:52 am to
quote:

The only entry that supposedly ever applied to was Wind Waker and I still absolutely despise that artstyle with a passion.
As an edgy kid with a gamecube waiting on the OoT/MM sequel words cannot express how much I fricking LOATHED WW on release. Absolutely hated the style. Never appreciated it for what it offered until much later into adulthood. Ironically it has held up arguably better stylistically than any other old Zelda title.

That said, TP still blows it out of the water IMO. That's still one of the best E3 reveals of all time. It's so obvious the fanbase likes the darker feel of Zelda.

TP reveal at 2004 E3.
Posted by sicboy
Because Awesome
Member since Nov 2010
77579 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 7:20 am to
What a load of horse shite.
Posted by imjustafatkid
Alabama
Member since Dec 2011
50405 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 9:47 am to
quote:

I also think the idea that people mass changed their mind about its artsyle is imagined. The big Wind Waker love fest that has arisen over the past few years is driven mostly by people in their 20's, who would have been very young when they were first playing it on their Gamecube's and wouldn't have thought twice about the artstyle. It's very easy to spot people who's first Zelda game was the Wind Waker. Arstyle aside, the WW is a solid Zelda game but it's currently enjoying the sweet spot in the nostalgia window.

I agree with all of this. It was a great game, but the art style was lame.

I don't feel the same way about this Link's Awakening release. I think they did a great job with what they had to work with in a game made originally for Game Boy. I'm pretty excited about it, because being on Game Boy is the main reason I've never played this entry in the series.
Posted by BulldogXero
Member since Oct 2011
9763 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 10:43 am to
the art style of the Link's Awakening remaster makes it look like a mobile game, but that might be my only criticism
Posted by FourThreeForty
Member since May 2013
17290 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 12:29 pm to
quote:

makes it look like a mobile game

I mean...technically all titles on the switch are mobile games.
Posted by Korin
Member since Jan 2014
37935 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 1:33 pm to
quote:

I agree with all of this. It was a great game, but the art style was lame.

I don't feel the same way about this Link's Awakening release. I think they did a great job with what they had to work with in a game made originally for Game Boy. I'm pretty excited about it, because being on Game Boy is the main reason I've never played this entry in the series.

I think the backlash against WW's art style was because of that awesome tech demo they originally showed at Spaceworld 2000 of Link and Ganon fighting. So people got all hyped up and then they showed WW a year later and it was like WTF.
LA was actually my first Zelda game (I had to settle in 98 since I wanted to play OOT but didn't have an N64). I'm not digging this remake though.
Posted by Greace
Member since May 2009
4696 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 1:33 pm to
Looks pretty crisp to me. Its the exact same game in a more modern art style. I imagine thats what they wished they could of done with Link's Awakening at the time it came out if they had the technology
Posted by jefforize
Member since Feb 2008
44085 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 1:38 pm to
looks pretty sweet

Posted by Korin
Member since Jan 2014
37935 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 1:46 pm to
It was all about LADX with the extra dungeon.

Oh and you could print pictures out with that stupid Game Boy Printer.
This post was edited on 2/15/19 at 1:47 pm
Posted by PEPE
Member since Jun 2018
8198 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 4:50 pm to
quote:

Ironically it has held up arguably better stylistically than any other old Zelda title.

Cartoony art styles always 'hold up' better over the years because they aren't going for realism. You can't fail a test you aren't trying to pass. It's the games went for realistic that can look weird later because what passed for realistic 20 years ago looks fugly now.

But I wouldn't never be inclined to make a game look cartoony purely so it won't look strange later. I mean MGS1's graphics look hilariously awful in 2019 but its artstyle and tone was absolutely perfect for the game.

quote:

I think the backlash against WW's art style was because of that awesome tech demo they originally showed at Spaceworld 2000 of Link and Ganon fighting. So people got all hyped up and then they showed WW a year later and it was like WTF.

Def. true but I think it was going to cause a ruckuss no matter what. Link went from cartoony but tough and appealing to young males (very Ninja Turtles or GI Joe)

to looking straight up like a 4 year old girl

This post was edited on 2/15/19 at 4:55 pm
Posted by sicboy
Because Awesome
Member since Nov 2010
77579 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 4:53 pm to
quote:

You can't fail a test you aren't trying to pass

Not every game needs to pass the "realism" test.
Posted by BCLA
Bossier City
Member since Mar 2005
8065 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 5:00 pm to
Yeah, I groaned when I saw the WW graphics for the first time too, but once I started playing I completely got lost in the game and never thought about the graphics again.
Posted by Freauxzen
Utah
Member since Feb 2006
37260 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 5:21 pm to
quote:

I literally grew up with zelda (had a Nintendo when I was 6 when the game was 2 years old)....

And WW is still my favorite Zelda, it captures the essence of Zelda better than any game. ALttP is second for me. ANd while OoT and BotW are superior games from A gameplay, challenge, and innovation perspective, WW is the pure experience.

I agree with the above that the big backlash was strictly because of the more realistic preview than the art style really being a problem.
Posted by PEPE
Member since Jun 2018
8198 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 6:57 pm to
Of course not. I was just pointing out that cartoony games hold up graphically over the years because they never tried to be realistic to begin with.

Cartoony can work great. It's not inherently bad at all. Most Nintendo franchises are and it's fine. Mario's art syle has pretty been extremely consistent for 30 years over dozens and dozens of games.

But WW is still one of the most jarring artstyle curveballs in video game history. To do such in one of the most notable franchises if all time was always going to lead to some REEE'ing.

I just find the narrative that people who hated the WW art style suddenly feel madly in love with and now praise it completely manufactured by the games media. The gameplay was good enough that most people who hated the artstyle just got over it and enjoyed the Zelda game.
Posted by FourThreeForty
Member since May 2013
17290 posts
Posted on 2/15/19 at 7:13 pm to
Grew up in the same era of the WW sympathizers and I still hate it. Worst creative decision Eiji and Shigeru ever made.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram