77625 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:33 pm to
My expectations as well. I thought 72 was done for
Posted by c on z
Zamunda
Member since Mar 2009
127601 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:34 pm to
It wasn't anything special the previous few years before 2010 either.
Posted by Patrick O Rly
y u do dis?
Member since Aug 2011
41187 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:37 pm to
For what they had, they've under-performed. There's no question about it.

And this whole "Any NBA franchise would take 2 championship in 4 years." Thanks captain obvious. That's beside the point. Only one team has the best player in the world, and that team has plenty of other star power to win every year.

It's mediocrity.
Posted by Patrick O Rly
y u do dis?
Member since Aug 2011
41187 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:40 pm to
Sup Fox?

Posted by Patrick O Rly
y u do dis?
Member since Aug 2011
41187 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:41 pm to
Happy Fathers Day.

Posted by The_Hornet
Member since Jun 2014
546 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:49 pm to
quote:

Something like 27 a game on 60% from the field and 61% from 3.

Impressive hollow numbers are still hollow numbers if you ultimately quit on your team. In every single game of this series, he'll have one great quarter in which you say damn this guy may just still be the best basketball player and have a place among the all-time elites. Then you see that he went through the motions in the other 3 quarters, including disappearing in all of the 4th quarters.

Going 8-10 from the field and scoring 20 points in a quarter is great. However, it is not that impressive when you go 2-8 the rest of the game with 6 points. His fanboys have said that he has very little help, which isn't true, but I'll allow it for this argument. Why doesn't he take more shots then? No one will fault him for it. He's the best player on his team and the best scoring option. It's the Finals. Take 30-40 shots if that's what it takes to win. There are no more games after this. You have 3-4 months to rest. Hell at least you can say that you did everything you could to win.

No one really criticizes the all-time greats for losing in the Finals because they left it all out there. They put in 100 percent the series and whether they won or not, at least they can hold their head up and said they left it all on the court. LeBron doesn't seem interested in that.

And can we please cut the shite about LeBron getting no help? It's patently false. No one on the Heat including Lebron seems to be interested in playing team ball right now. No one wants to stay disciplined on defense. No one wants to share the ball. No one wants to sacrifice their own glory for the betterment of the team. No one has stepped up and been a leader. They've been frontrunners since they came together and now it's showing again. It showed in the Mavericks series and it's showing again now. They don't handle stacked odds well. They are the anti-thesis of the Spurs and most great championship teams. They want to play hero ball. They want to play 2K14 highlight ball. They have no interest in play NBA Champion ball.
Posted by Sun God
Member since Jul 2009
44874 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:49 pm to
Can anyone name any other teams that have "underperformed" by going to the championship every year and winning 2/4 titles?
Posted by emmanuellewis
Baton Rouge
Member since May 2009
3266 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:50 pm to
quote:

While failure is technically the right word for how I see it, It is very harsh

How about "wrong." Failure is the "wrong" word to use here. As has been pointed out, there is no way that 4/4 to the NBA Finals and winning 2/4 titles is a failure. I think your reworded description a few pages back is better but winning two titles in four years is a successful outcome. Put whatever qualifiers you want on it.

I understand why Lebron's pep rally comments are brought up in this thread and agree with many of the comments about them (although outlandish, they were at a pep rally and he clarified his comments in the next sentence).

The bigger point is who goes to Lebron James or any athlete for objective analysis about how his team is going to do. I'm sure every great athlete believes they are going to win a title at some point. Their opinion should have little bearing on how someone objectively looks at the success/ failure of their team.

quote:

these guys thought they'd win fricking 8.

At what point would those comments have not been taken at face value? What if he had said 20 titles? Because obviously is not enough that: 1) these were comments at a pep rally that were immedietelly clarified and 2) it is tough to win 8 titles in 4 years. Might actually be impossible.

quote:

the first season after losing to the mavs, they look like they "got it" and played determined and intense ball.

What does "got it" mean? It seems like you define it as them winning a title then looking backward and making assumptions. Would they have not had enough intensity last season if Ray Allen missed the Game 6 3?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:53 pm to
Posted by emmanuellewis
Baton Rouge
Member since May 2009
3266 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:53 pm to
quote:

If they lose, it's still a success. If two titles and four conference titles in four years aren't considered successful, our expectations are out of control.

That said, they fail to join the all-time great teams in my opinion. They're not the Russell Celtics, the 1980's Lakers or Celtics, the 1990's Bulls or even the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

They'd fall on that second tier of all-time great teams with the Bad Boy Pistons.

+1. Agree with everything here.
Posted by c on z
Zamunda
Member since Mar 2009
127601 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:55 pm to
quote:

Why doesn't he take more shots then?

That would play right into the Spurs' hands.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:56 pm to
you saw "failure"

and preston j gary jr just rose right to the top of your mind
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 5:58 pm to
quote:

"Any NBA franchise would take 2 championship in 4 years."

probably the dumbest thing I keep hearing. Like they're just any other team
Posted by emmanuellewis
Baton Rouge
Member since May 2009
3266 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:00 pm to
quote:

My expectations as well. I thought 72 was done for

First two words are the problem with any argument that would define the last four years of Heat basketball as a a failure. Your expectations to not define others achievements. Any rationally thinking basketball fan would never use the word failure with the first four years of the Lebron-era Heat.
Posted by Patrick O Rly
y u do dis?
Member since Aug 2011
41187 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:08 pm to
quote:

Can anyone name any other teams that have "underperformed" by going to the championship every year and winning 2/4 titles?

*and had the best player in the world (pssst...that's pretty important)
Posted by Patrick O Rly
y u do dis?
Member since Aug 2011
41187 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:09 pm to
No, I just saw your avi. Happy Preston J Gary Jr Day buddy.
This post was edited on 6/15/14 at 6:10 pm
Posted by rocket31
Member since Jan 2008
41819 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:11 pm to
wait, there are actually ppl who think 4 finals appearances & 2 titles is unsuccessful???

FN PLEBS (WE LOL AT YOU ALL)
This post was edited on 6/15/14 at 6:12 pm
Posted by The_Hornet
Member since Jun 2014
546 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:11 pm to
quote:

The Heat have not had a post presence or point guard the entire 4 years

Neither of these is true. Bosh was a damn good post scorer when he was in Toronto. He sacrificed his game the most because it took him out of the post. For whatever reason, Spoelstra thinks he's Dirk and not Chris Bosh. He needs to be posted up on the low block and take shots from the high post and that's about it. That's where he's most effective from. If you want a 6'10 guy shooting threes, then acquire Matt Bonner, Steve Novak, or dig Peja up from somewhere.

Yeah the Heat don't have a top flight point or a next tier point. So? You spent 85 percent or so of your cap money on 3 players and none of them play point. Two of them are ball-dominant players. Exactly who do you want them to get? They needed guys who can play a little d and shoot effectively from range.

Chalmers has made 394 of the 1,018 3 pointers he has taken since 2010 for a 38.7 clip. That's a great percentage. He's had a 10.1 defensive win shares which is pretty damn good for a guy who has averaged 27-28 minutes per game.

Cole has been a 34 percent 3 point and has been a decent defender as well. Given the ball dominance of the big three, they've given you about as much as you can want and expect from the position.

As for the bigs, they don't need scorers from their centers. Andersen and Haslem are defensive minded players who will protect the rim and rebound effectively. You aren't going to get a 10-12 point a night low post threat when he doesn't fit in with what the Heat want to do.

The Big 3 chose this. They built the team and Riley was happy with it. I kept hearing about how much money these guys sacrificed, but where is all of that money? They have 54-55 million of a 63 million cap committed to 3 guys. Yeah some big sacrifice. I kept hearing that great role players were would be tripping over themselves to join the Heat and would take huge paycuts to do so. They've picked up a mid 30's Ray Allen and mid 30's Shane Battier. And why the hell would you waste the vet minimum on Greg Oden? You know the guy isn't going to play any, so at least get a guy who can throw himself out there for 5-6 minutes a night and grab a rebound or two.

Either way, the Heat made their bed. They have to sleep in it. Any faults/flaws their team has is their own doing.
Posted by OutofTownAlumni
Member since Nov 2013
3036 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:13 pm to
The_Pelican

Tldnr
Posted by The_Hornet
Member since Jun 2014
546 posts
Posted on 6/15/14 at 6:14 pm to
quote:

Wade has still not improved his 3pt shooting.

Wade never has been and never will be a 3 point shooter. What made you think he'd ever try to be more than a 6 feet and in kind of guy?
first pageprev pagePage 7 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram