re: .

Posted on 7/22/14 at 7:21 pm to
Posted by fleaux
section 0
Member since Aug 2012
8741 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 7:21 pm to
quote:

Korkstand, do you think that the water company in Detroit should cut off the water of people who have not paid their water bill in a year or two?

Actually, those people all died from cholera and the city just had to write it off
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 7:38 pm to
quote:

Korkstand, do you think that the water company in Detroit should cut off the water of people who have not paid their water bill in a year or two?

Of course! But they shouldn't let it go that long to begin with. There should be programs in place to address the problem (like payment plans based on means). If a problem is so bad that it comes down to what's happening in Detroit, it is a failure of government, not the people.

Posted by Al Dante
Member since Mar 2013
1859 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 7:43 pm to
quote:

Of course!

Then why are you giving everyone shite in here? You agree with them.

quote:

If a problem is so bad that it comes down to what's happening in Detroit, it is a failure of government, not the people

It's not a failure of government, it's the consequence of the left constantly expanding the definition of the term "human right" to include all kinds of ridiculousness like "free birth control" and "free health care". It's not a stretch for people to begin to believe that "free running water" and "free electricity" are human rights too.
This post was edited on 7/22/14 at 7:45 pm
Posted by Al Dante
Member since Mar 2013
1859 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 7:50 pm to
quote:

There should be programs in place to address the problem (like payment plans based on means).

It's a fricking water bill. How much is that? 50 bucks? You're telling me that if they cut it to $10 they would pay it? If you can't pay 50 bucks for water it'd still be difficult to pay 10. You're basically advocating that someone else pays for them, I believe.
Posted by TT9
Global warming
Member since Sep 2008
82952 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 7:52 pm to
quote:

Losers are protesting paying their fricking bills

Color me shocked....
racist!!
Posted by CptRusty
Basket of Deplorables
Member since Aug 2011
11740 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:10 pm to
quote:

But what do you want me to do, Google for "poor people"?

I'd like you to provide evidence to back up your claim or kindly admit you are wrong. Quite simple
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:22 pm to
quote:

Then why are you giving everyone shite in here? You agree with them.
Short answer: because it's fun.

Long answer: because, while I agree that running water is not a basic right or that it should be free, I disagree with the way the problem is being handled, and with everyone here talking shite about everyone whose water is cut off.
quote:

It's not a failure of government, it's the consequence of the left constantly expanding the definition of the term "human right" to include all kinds of ridiculousness like "free birth control" and "free health care". It's not a stretch for people to begin to believe that "free running water" and "free electricity" are human rights too.

And I also dislike the fact that every problem is blamed on "the left" around here, and that anyone who disagrees with the group think is a "libtard".

What is happening in Detroit is absolutely a failure of government. All sides included.
Posted by CptRusty
Basket of Deplorables
Member since Aug 2011
11740 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:37 pm to
quote:

What is happening in Detroit is absolutely a failure of government.

No. It is a failure of people to pay their bills.

This is a shining beacon of responsible "tough love" decision making by government, a rare thing indeed these days. It should be imitated at all levels, federal and state, and applied to a broad spectrum of issues, not just water.
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:40 pm to
quote:

It's a fricking water bill. How much is that? 50 bucks? You're telling me that if they cut it to $10 they would pay it? If you can't pay 50 bucks for water it'd still be difficult to pay 10. You're basically advocating that someone else pays for them, I believe.

I know that $50 doesn't matter to everyone, but it matters to some.
Posted by CptRusty
Basket of Deplorables
Member since Aug 2011
11740 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:40 pm to
quote:

And I also dislike the fact that every problem is blamed on "the left" around here,

This problem in particular is the direct, inevitable, and predictable result of the entitlement culture perpetuated, primarily, by those on "the left".
Posted by themunch
Earth. maybe
Member since Jan 2007
64835 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:42 pm to
If a problem is so bad that it comes down to what's happening in Detroit, it is a failure of government, not the people

wrong
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:47 pm to
quote:

I'd like you to provide evidence to back up your claim or kindly admit you are wrong. Quite simple

So several thousand people in one city who got their water cut off isn't enough evidence that some people can't afford a $65 water bill? Surely you don't want evidence that some people have less income than that, or that the water bill should be the first check in the mail if they do, do you?

Do you want a list of tax returns? Not sure what you want.

Some people can't afford water, some can't afford food, some can't afford electricity, some can't afford housing. The proof is all around you if you care to look outside your bubble.
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 8:57 pm to
quote:

No. It is a failure of people to pay their bills.

So, it's not a symptom of the failure of government to create an environment where businesses thrive and jobs are plentiful?

It's not a failure of the water dept. to handle collections in a timely manner, and to deal with what has obviously developed into a serious matter without garnering international attention?

Yeah, if only those poor people would pay their water bills, Detroit would be paradise!
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:01 pm to
quote:

So, it's not a symptom of the failure of government to create an environment where businesses thrive and jobs are plentiful?

Not governments job

In fact all they do is make this difficult and if you view it as a failure of government, why does it bother you when people acknowledge which political philosophy has resulted in this mess?
Posted by Al Dante
Member since Mar 2013
1859 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:05 pm to
quote:

It's not a failure of the water dept. to handle collections in a timely manner, and to deal with what has obviously developed into a serious matter without garnering international attention?

You're absurd. If they "handled collections in a timely manner" they would have been cut off 3 months after they stopped paying, evoking cries and outrage from people like you demanding that they be given more time. If the customers are given that time and are cut off two years later instead of 3 months we here complaints like the water dept. "needs to handle collections in a timely manner". Pathetic.

Posted by CptRusty
Basket of Deplorables
Member since Aug 2011
11740 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:06 pm to
No one is claiming that there aren't thousands of unpaid water bills.

I have no doubt that there are many people who don't have the money to pay their water bill. My position, is that these people have spent money on frivolous things instead of necessities.

Case in point:

Notice hair coloring (more than likely a wig though), manicured nails, tattoos, whatever she's wearing with the spikes probably costs more than a tshirt, not to mention the fact that she obviously doesn't miss any meals.

quote:

Not sure what you want

I want you to provide some kind of evidence on which you base the following claim:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, some people take advantage of the system, but a whole lot of people genuinely need help

I want some kind of substantial proof that a "whole lot" of people are so destitute that, despite the abundant financial assistance available to them, they are unable to come up with $65 per month for the single most vital basic need a person can have.

I don't expect any will be forthcoming. You're talking completely out of your arse, and despite your constant deflection and now this strawman that I live bubble, you don't have a damn thing to back up what you're claiming. You're entire argument is based in emotion. "Ohh the poor people can't afford their water. It's the governments fault. It's the low population's fault" - Yeah, it's everyone's fault except the dead beats who didn't pay their bill.
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:08 pm to
quote:

This problem in particular is the direct, inevitable, and predictable result of the entitlement culture perpetuated, primarily, by those on "the left".

This is what I'm talking about.

To you, the problem is the people who are causing a fuss over access to water. Some are lazy and feel entitled, sure, but some are struggling and don't want handouts. These people are a symptom of the deeper issue of a failed economy and a failed government.

Very often, deep seeded problems come to a head and present themselves like this. Your instinct is to blame the people affected, mine is to think about what's really going on.
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:09 pm to
quote:

wrong

Please, don't elaborate. Please.
Posted by CptRusty
Basket of Deplorables
Member since Aug 2011
11740 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:11 pm to
quote:

but some are struggling and don't want handouts.

there's that claim again.

People are struggling so badly that they cannot afford water and do not spend money on frivolous crap.

Please do substantiate it before tossing it around further, because I'm just going to flat call bullshite on this.
Posted by Korkstand
Member since Nov 2003
28746 posts
Posted on 7/22/14 at 9:17 pm to
quote:

Not governments job
What? As far as I'm concerned, that should be government's only job.
quote:

In fact all they do is make this difficult and if you view it as a failure of government, why does it bother you when people acknowledge which political philosophy has resulted in this mess?
Because things are not as clear cut as this board believes.
Jump to page
Page First 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 9 of 15Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram