Posted by udtiger
Over your left shoulder
Member since Nov 2006
98977 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 10:20 am to
quote:

lack of color (much like the lack of sound) makes it incomplete to me

But...

With B & W you typically get a sharpness from a movie in the 30s/40s/50s (and even beyond [a number of the movies I listed were from the 60s {and one from the 80s}]) that is only matched in color HD today.

Also, with those older B & W's (and...I am kicking myself for forgetting Arsenic & Old Lace and Bringing Up Baby) you truly get some classic storytelling and fantastic acting.
Posted by Fewer Kilometers
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
36073 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 10:28 am to
quote:

It's a bastardization of our normal lives.

It's art. It's a representation of life. Anything short of a live, interactive performance would be a "bastardization".

Posted by Hoodoo Man
Sunshine Pumping most days.
Member since Oct 2011
31637 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 10:53 am to
quote:

Heavy handed to over acting mainly. Was just the style back then. Maybe it was a slow transition from silent film. Where expression was needed as was gestures.
This is what takes me out of those films.
I know if you grow up with that stuff, it seems normal to you, but it bugs me.

I suspect it's a carry over from theater before they realized they didn't have to act so "big" in front of the camera.

And of course, I feel like I can't relate to a lot of the stuff that happens on screen.
Posted by Fewer Kilometers
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
36073 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 11:00 am to
I can't imagine the world without the Marx Brothers films, the Three Stooges shorts, the original King Kong, Frankenstein, Dracula...

Citizen Kane, Stalag 17, Village of the Damned, A Hard Day's Night, Raging Bull, Psycho, The Apartment...

Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton...

Jesus, why would you pass on all of that?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 11:18 am to
I misspoke, corrected
Posted by ipodking
#StopTalkingAboutWomensSports
Member since Jun 2008
56303 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 11:59 am to
I got my 4 year old nephew into black and white films. He loves Creature From The Black Lagoon.
Posted by H-Town Tiger
Member since Nov 2003
59125 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 12:14 pm to
i don't think the comp to silent films is a good one (that compares more to foreign films imo). What has always made foreign films a challenge for me, is, i read slow, so if i miss a word or sentence, it's just distracting, plus it is hard to concentrate on the visual and read at the bottom of the scene. With silent films, the piano music is distracting and the acting tends to be overly dramatic, but it is often much faster, limitations of the tech at the time.

B&W vs Color is just aesthetics. Some of if is people don't like older movies, but i can't imagine Schindler's List in color, that would take away the power frankly, especially of some key scenes.
Posted by GoldenSombrero
Member since Sep 2010
2651 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 12:42 pm to
I think it's pretty simple.
1. They are very dialog heavy, that you need to actually pay attention to to fully grasp whats going on and have very few scene changes compared to current movies where even "non-action" movies are always in motion. My wife can't just watch a movie without being on instagram at the same time.
2. They aren't as easily accessible...even compared to when movies stores were still around. Netflix has some occasionally but not a large library to look thru, same with Amazon. If it becomes "trendy" to watch B&W movies and post to instagram you'll see their popularity rise significantly.
Posted by SEClint
New Orleans, LA/Portland, OR
Member since Nov 2006
48769 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 12:53 pm to
The original night of the living dead and the twilight zone are some of my favorite things in motion pictures.

That was during an era when people had to use what they had to the best of their ability, inspired creativity. What always holds up over time is good story.

People have preferences though and if they didn't grow up appreciating a black and white production at least once, it's probably more difficult later on in life especially with the 4K quality 350 million budget films of today.
Posted by mizzoubuckeyeiowa
Member since Nov 2015
35568 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 1:03 pm to
This thread reminds me of The Muse with Albert Brooks.

He's a screenwriter who thinks he has a meeting with Spielberg but instead gets an appointment with Stan Spielberg...Steven Spielberg's cousin Stan (Steven Wright), who doesn't do anything other than offer advice about future movies.

"Whatever you do, just remember, make it in color," Stan says. "People like color."
Posted by mizzoubuckeyeiowa
Member since Nov 2015
35568 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 1:10 pm to
quote:

It's a bastardization of our normal lives. We see color everywhere. Clothing, TV, advertisements, nature, etc. Our world is filled with vibrant colors that get our attention. Watching a movie with no color just almost feels...substandard. Idk, I don't really feel that way, just giving reasons to answer your question. Probably the same reason some people don't like foreign movies with subtitles, it's against the norm and it's not as "easy" to digest as a regular film.

But people tend to really like Black and White photography...especially nature...

Some of our most famous photos are black and white...even when they didn't have to be...it's considered art obviously and captures the essence and play of pure light without interference. Color also plays tricks on us with our brains and how we interpret them. It's not as pure. Light affects how we see color.

Take your veins...blood is red, veins look blue, because how our eyes interpret the filtering of colors through our skin...Veins look blue because light has to penetrate the skin to illuminate them, blue and red light (being of different wavelengths) penetrate with different degrees of success. What makes it back to your eye is the blue light.

Black and white photography seems to have a higher regard than black and white films (which seem to have a regard as a product of their time) - I find that odd.
This post was edited on 6/7/16 at 1:12 pm
Posted by GoldenSombrero
Member since Sep 2010
2651 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 1:27 pm to
quote:

Black and white photography seems to have a higher regard than black and white films (which seem to have a regard as a product of their time) - I find that odd.

Good example. Which is why I don't think the fact they are B&W has anything to do with it. It's the content and the fact they usually move at a slower pace with more dialog and fewer scene changes. People are easily bored these days.
Posted by GeorgeTheGreek
Sparta, Greece
Member since Mar 2008
66456 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 1:41 pm to
Because I'm not a dog.
Posted by tigerfan84
Member since Dec 2003
20305 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 2:08 pm to
Not enough cgi and stuff blowing up
Posted by Kafka
I am the moral conscience of TD
Member since Jul 2007
142188 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 2:36 pm to
The most interesting thing about this thread is that I once started a similar one and got nothing but "you old fart" replies. At least this one is getting some serious responses.
quote:

I think that due to the limited capabilities, the better films of that era were dramas, mysteries, etc.
Actually IMHO the greatest silent films were comedies. Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd mastered both the craft of visual storytelling and the art of visual comedy.

Those unfamiliar with silent comedy should watch this:
Comedy: A Serious Business
It's an episode from my all time favorite documentary series, Hollywood: A Celebration of Silent Film, produced by the great film historian Kevin Brownlow and narrated by James Mason.
Posted by Kafka
Member since Jul 2007
142188 posts
quote:

2. They aren't as easily accessible...even compared to when movies stores were still around. Netflix has some occasionally but not a large library to look thru, same with Amazon.
I have a couple of thousand YouTube bookmarks. I'm willing to post them here more often, but since my most recent pathetic attempt at a recommendations thread has met with such underwhelming response, I haven't bothered keeping it too active.
Posted by Kafka
Member since Jul 2007
142188 posts
quote:

I will add:

Kind Hearts and Coronets
Posted by tigger1
Member since Mar 2005
3476 posts
Posted on 6/7/16 at 5:48 pm to
If I made a top 200 movie list more than 1/2 would be black and white films.

Also one of those would be silent film.

Silent movies are good, but when sound hit it destroyed many actors.

Black and White sound films in many ways can not be equaled today, as there is no studio system, so many fought the system, and it hurt only the thousands who made a living in the studio system, when the actors finally beat the system.

Today's cgi off spring of the early movies are mostly action, action, action with little in the way of story and character creation, which is one reason you see the push into the comic book movies, as a long story line is in place and it only needs to be put to screen.

The cgi's for the most part are average at best and normally very sub par to the writing one saw from the late 20's-mid 60's movies.

Will we see a movie like Fitz Lang's M ever made as good as it was in 1931?

This post was edited on 6/7/16 at 8:13 pm
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram