Posted on 2/23/17 at 11:42 am to
Posted by gjackx
Red Stick
Member since Jan 2007
16527 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 11:42 am to
quote:

my problem with Mario platforming difficulty is it's rarely a challenge

Clearly you haven't played any of the IMPOSSIBLE SMB hacks on the original NES.

I think there are roughly 493032465454 SMB hacks for the original NES...not all are hard though.
Posted by oauron
Birmingham, AL
Member since Sep 2011
14518 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 11:48 am to
quote:

Clearly you haven't played any of the IMPOSSIBLE SMB hacks on the original NES.

A hack made by someone other than Nintendo doesn't make Mario hard lol. That's not the game that they released.
Posted by gjackx
Red Stick
Member since Jan 2007
16527 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 12:02 pm to
quote:

A hack made by someone other than Nintendo doesn't make Mario hard lol. That's not the game that they released.

It's still a game, that someone put a lot of time into to create. Sure, it's not "legit", but it's still cool to see other people's take on a classic.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 12:37 pm to
The nes marios vary in challenge but none of them leave me unsatisfied

Snes Mario was the first to add exploration, and those secret ways to beat some levels were challenging

Flying under the bar on the bridge level in world 4 to get the island and flying up and then ducking through a tiny hole in the fortress on world 7 still stick out

Mario 64 had a few challenging platform worlds but what was lost in challenge they made up for in the added exploration and figuring out where and/or how to get a certain star. It was way too easy if you just wanted the minimum stars to get to bowser

Galaxy, the same but every other iteration of Mario has been way too easy and the only challenge comes from collecting coins and flags and you don't really feel rewarded for doing that.

Super Mario world was the last truly great non sandbox Mario. Not that the games haven't been fun as shite. I really like almost all of them
Posted by DannyB
Bagram, Afghanistan
Member since Aug 2010
6141 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 4:17 pm to
Because people weren't spoiled pussies back then. We now live in the everybody gets a trophy days...to even include getting one for finishing pussy arse tutorials for the games made today.
Posted by tigertown80
tigerland
Member since Oct 2009
1398 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 6:58 pm to
I read somewhere a while back that it had to do with making you go buy the games because they were too difficult to beat just renting them for a day or two.
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 9:25 pm to
quote:

I read somewhere a while back that it had to do with making you go buy the games because they were too difficult to beat just renting them for a day or two.
It may have evolved into this but hard Nintendo games existed before renting video games was widespread enough for this to impact sales. I remember when my family finally found a video store that rented out NES games and that was a big deal and a couple of years into the NES's life. The first game I ever rented was Mega Man 1.
Posted by AshLSU
Member since Nov 2015
12868 posts
Posted on 2/23/17 at 9:48 pm to
Also you have to keep in mind that the NES generation of games were the first games to really have an "end". Most Atari games you just kept going with monsters getting faster, levels getting bigger, etc, etc... there wasn't exactly a "main boss" character to most of these games.

There were a lot of reasons for this. Mostly being that Atari games were just console version of arcade games that the goal of playing was to get the highest score and put your initials on the screen. Having your initials in the number 1 spot on certain games in the locale arcade made you quite popular in some places. (Of course a lot of people just wanted to put arse on the screen and that was their driving force).

NES was the first console to really break into the "console only" games. The designers had to come up with another motivation to make these games popular as being "number 1 ranked" on a game that only you and maybe two other people played wasn't all that exciting.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 4Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram