Page 1
Page 1
Started By
Message

Opinion on GPU: upgrade to 1080Ti or wait and see?

Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:31 pm
Posted by Hu_Flung_Pu
Central, LA
Member since Jan 2013
22574 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:31 pm
I currently have the GTX 1080 FTW from EVGA and they have a 90 day step up program. I'm thinking of stepping up to a 1080 Ti and it would cost 200. I have 9 more days to decide.

I only play in 1080P and get really good fps in the games I have which are Fortnite and Destiny 2 (could be more though in Destiny).

I have a 1080p freesync monitor that is 240Hz.

Should I just hold onto this card and see if the AMD Navi is worth while? I really want to use the freesync or should I upgrade and call it a day?
Posted by LSU Coyote
Member since Sep 2007
57337 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:35 pm to
Wait and see what? If you aren't pumping out 1200 then get the 1080 Ti @ $200.

Now you will see DR with driver optimization in newer games. It is last gen. Drivers won't be priorotized.

Edt: Navi, never wait on hardware. Esp something 10months out.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 4:41 pm
Posted by Hu_Flung_Pu
Central, LA
Member since Jan 2013
22574 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:37 pm to
quote:

Wait and see what?


If the Navi can be similar or better than the 1080 Ti.

quote:

No you will see DR with driver optimization in newer games. It is last gen. Drivers won't be priorotized.


Don't know what this means.
Posted by LSU Coyote
Member since Sep 2007
57337 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:40 pm to
quote:

the Navi can be similar or better than the 1080 Ti

And that is what it will be and not at $200.
quote:

Don't know what this means.


Deminishing Returns

As time goes on the next gen gets less attention. The return of your investment becomes less significant/impactful.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 4:44 pm
Posted by Hu_Flung_Pu
Central, LA
Member since Jan 2013
22574 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:43 pm to
miscommunication.

Step up is what I paid for my GPU + difference between the cost of the cards. I would get 450 for my 1080 from EVGA and I add 200 to it to get a 1080Ti.

I would have to sell my 1080 to get money for the Navi.
This post was edited on 10/9/18 at 4:44 pm
Posted by LSU Coyote
Member since Sep 2007
57337 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 4:46 pm to
Gotcha

Still not a bad price

My yhing is you should never wait on hardware if an upgrade is wanted or needed.

Esp on something 3 to 4 quarters out like Navi which will only compete slightly above Pascal.
Posted by Korin
Member since Jan 2014
37935 posts
Posted on 10/9/18 at 6:03 pm to
At 1080p? Not worth the $200.
first pageprev pagePage 1 of 1Next pagelast page
refresh

Back to top
logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on X, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

Facebook•X•Instagram