83927 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:32 am to
Wtf is an organic garden?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:33 am to
No he wanted it, but after I heard "offended" I told him to beat it. The bigger issue above all is he can't see how he fricked up the communication and by being late. I can get someone else.

Maybe he should've been there on time
Posted by KG6
Member since Aug 2009
10920 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:33 am to
How do you know they were illegal. My yard guy doesnt speak english well, and I doubt his workers do at all. But it's a legitimate business and the guy is awesome. Trouble with my sprinklers and I cant get someone on the phone, my guy has a company that he works with (white guy too) there in 15 minutes. Just because they cant speak english well (or at all) doesnt mean they are illegal and not good workers.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:34 am to
Beats me. But my wife likes to grow things in it, and I wanted to make sure they'd be watered by sprinkler heads
Posted by donRANDOMnumbers
Hub City
Member since Nov 2006
16901 posts
they do better work. most GC's are using them.
Posted by dagrippa
Saigon
Member since Nov 2004
11286 posts
quote:

inassume there would be messicans. No problemo. I just thought they'd be supervised by "the expert"

I'm paying a lot of money. I understand you get what you pay for, so I didn't hire cheap petes

Many of those laborers are the experts. Sometimes the company guy is just a dude that can communicate to the client FYI.
Posted by stout
Smoking Crack with Hunter Biden
Member since Sep 2006
167131 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:35 am to
quote:

I'm paying a lot of money. I understand you get what you pay for, so I didn't hire cheap petes

$100 says you are getting builders grade parts. The cost is in the labor.
Posted by Salmon
On the trails
Member since Feb 2008
83527 posts
I think the contention is that you felt the need to type "organic garden" instead of just garden
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
I don't know they're illegal. I'm not an idiot so I can take a wild guess. I don't care either.
Posted by NOFOX
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2014
9933 posts
You live in TX and don't know enough Spanish to figure out that their foreman was running late? fricking troglodyte. As others have said, you can try to find a crew of english speaking laborers, but it will cost twice as much and take twice as long for lower quality work.

The company likely didn't just go grab some workers at Home Depot that morning. If you did any research before hiring them and know they do good work, then the crew has been doing this shite a while and are good at what they do.
Posted by moneyg
Member since Jun 2006
56404 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:36 am to
quote:

Illegal or not. I can't know for sure, but I can make a pretty educated guesstheir immigration status was not my objection

Their inability to speak English was, and it wouldn't have been had someone else been there

totally reasonable.
Posted by dagrippa
Saigon
Member since Nov 2004
11286 posts
quote:

I can get someone else.

I'd bet you a dollar the next crew will be all spanish speakers too.
Posted by yellowfin
Coastal Bar
Member since May 2006
97615 posts
Yup

Some people are just a pain in the arse and it's not worth it to do work for them
Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166146 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:37 am to
quote:

None of them speaking English and no foreman, with heavy machinery ready to dig up your yard, how would you feel?

I asked them if I could speak English, no. So non verbally gestured for them to not do anything

I called the company 10 times with no answer so I told them "vamanos" because I don't speak Spanish. Then they answer the phone and I was upset telling them I could go to Home Depot myself and not pay thousands of dollars. Well the owner/foreman was running behind and he didn't seem to get my objection or concern. How was I supposed to know? Finally after somewhat understanding the middle ground i asked him if he wanted to try again tomorrow, which was being generous. I'd rather get someone else.

He told me the problem was that his crew of undocumented, non English speaking workers that I couldn't speak to had been offended so that was it.

He's not charging me cancellation because he's probably concerned I'll report his hiring practices which is what I threatened to do when I couldn't get him on the phone

To be clear my objection was paying top dollar for a crew I couldn't speak to, couldn't ask questions to and couldn't answer question from were ready to "expertly" install a sprinkler system and dig up my years.

Was I in the wrong here?

ahh... you paid top dollar so you can conversate with the white man.

Yes you sound like a dick.

you will get a shittier irrigation system now. Congrats.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:37 am to
No, it's in these giant planters not in the yard. I don't know the word for it, but it's why I needed to speak to them.

I can get someone else. If you think it's fine to pay thousands of dollars for 3 dudes who can't speak your language to dig up your property unsupervised without you being to ask them questions, then what can I say. Difference of opinion
Posted by Salmon
On the trails
Member since Feb 2008
83527 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:38 am to
quote:

I don't care either.

according to the OP, you do care...alot actually
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:38 am to
The guy I was ready to pay was Hispanic, but he spoke English and looked professional. Apparently he has problems communicating and showing up on time
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:39 am to
Illegal is one word that paints the picture. There's an implied value illegals don't speak English.
Posted by Salmon
On the trails
Member since Feb 2008
83527 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 9:40 am to
quote:

If you think it's fine to pay thousands of dollars for 3 dudes who can't speak your language to dig up your property unsupervised without you being to ask them questions

well I've worked in SW Texas with drilling crews where is is 100% mexicans, and in all the cases, at least one of the guys could speak enough English to answer any questions

quote:

Difference of opinion

you wanting a person you could communicate with is one thing, you threatening to report the owner for illegal hiring practices based off his employees lack of English is another
Jump to page
Page First 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 15Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram