I think this plays into the politics of the military.
1) Drones, and the ilk, are becoming increasingly important
2) Part of the promotion mechanism is acquiring awards and ribbons (this is one of the complaints of women not being allowed in combat...limited ability to acquire these awards)
3) The military wants some of its best to become dedicated to these areas
4) The best want promotion options
5) Create a pathway that makes it desirable for career minded guys to WANT to go into these areas.
This post was edited on 2/14 at 8:06 am