Member since Oct 2007
22385 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 2:52 pm to
quote:

Really not much more then a .380.

That's extremely uninformed.

quote:

along with cops too!

police agencies across the US are going back to the 9mm in large numbers.

Posted by hardhead
stinky bayou
Member since Jun 2009
5745 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 2:54 pm to
quote:

For my truck, I carry a .357 revolver. One doesn't have to keep it clean and that SOB will fire no matter what. And yes, it will take a head off at 20 yards easy if the need ever came up.

fully agree
Posted by blackmamba
Baton Rouge
Member since Jul 2011
765 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 2:57 pm to
I wouldn't say it is a must for every person but it is for me. I am a farely new shooter and it is too expensive to practice with the .45. Cheaper bullets, availability, velocity, magazine size, and recoil are all advantages of the 9mm.
This post was edited on 7/10/14 at 2:59 pm
Posted by DownshiftAndFloorIt
Here
Member since Jan 2011
66763 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 3:24 pm to
IMO the advantage of a 9mm is the initial cost of the platform and high ammo capacity. Ammo cost between .38spl and 9mm is negligible from what I've seen lately. Not sure about the other auto calibers.

A good new 6 shooter will run you at least $600 where a good new 9mm can be had for $400 easily. That's a good chunk of practice ammo.

When I get my CCL I'll be carrying a smith M66
Posted by mkibod1
South of the Donna Dixon Line
Member since Jan 2011
4744 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 3:53 pm to
quote:

they told me they get G17s for like $250

I need this in my life haha thats a great deal for a vehicle gun.
Posted by GREENHEAD22
Member since Nov 2009
19595 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 3:55 pm to
Yea tell me about it, I am currently thinking if I know and LEO.
Posted by TigerOnThe Hill
Springhill, LA
Member since Sep 2008
6812 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 5:04 pm to
quote:

they told me they get G17s for like $250.

Wow! Now that's a real "sweetheart deal." They must be using a law enforcement discount of some sort. Has anyone seen similar deals for civilians? (Other than the occasional, "A friend of mine knew a guy who's wife got sick and he needed some money real bad so he sold his M17 to my friend for $250.)
Posted by Ole Geauxt
KnowLa.
Member since Dec 2007
50880 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 5:21 pm to
GREAT VIDEOS.. I almost smiled.
Posted by Hammertime
Will trade dowsing rod for titties
Member since Jan 2012
43030 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 5:22 pm to
That was exactly the point. The discount for cops is very significant. They'd have to straw purchase and then sell it to you though, because I think the department orders it for them. No idea though, I'm just guessing
Posted by SmackoverHawg
Member since Oct 2011
27331 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 5:28 pm to
I think a 9mm is a must due to ammo cost. It's a helluva lot cheaper to shoot and stay sharp. Weight and recoil will be much closer to your larger caliber pistols than a .22. I do 99% of my target shooting with .22 and 9mm.
Posted by dawg23
Baton Rouge, La
Member since Jul 2011
5065 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 6:30 pm to
quote:

The law in Texas says I can't have a firearm in my vehicle unless it is concealed.

I'm sure you're correct, but I have looked at their statutes, and don't see this requirement. I do see this requirement for those who don't have a CHL.

Would you by any chance have a cite for this ? I'm always interested in learning about CCW laws & rules in other states.

Posted by TigerOnThe Hill
Springhill, LA
Member since Sep 2008
6812 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 7:06 pm to
quote:

That was exactly the point. The discount for cops is very significant. They'd have to straw purchase and then sell it to you though, because I think the department orders it for them.

Kinda what I figured. Given the Supreme Court's recent ruling on "straw purchases" I wouldn't want to put myself or a law enforcement buddy at risk just to save me some $$.
Posted by VetteGuy
Member since Feb 2008
28164 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 7:08 pm to
Yes.

Because after you shoot and kill the guy that tried to shoot you, you can take his ammo and use it in your 9.
Posted by bapple
Capital City
Member since Oct 2010
11889 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 7:19 pm to
quote:

I hear about magazine capacity vs round capability

I have said this numerous times and most will agree that 9mm, 40, and 45 all do about the same thing. One is light and fast, one is slow and heavy, and the other splits the difference. While you may be able to find one that is slightly higher on the power scale, how big of a difference will 10 foot pounds of energy yield when shooting a human target? Probably not much. True "stopping power" comes from the barrel of a rifle or shotgun. A pistol is merely a compact compromise.

I like 9mm for the higher capacity when concealing a small firearm and the fact that my follow-up shots will be quicker due to the lessened recoil. While recoil from a 40 or 45 will not be a whole lot more than 9mm, it still will be more. I want every advantage I can get when carrying my small CC handgun. So, the extra capacity and the ability to fire more accurate follow-up shots is my reason for 9mm.

I go into more detail about calibers and felt recoil in this video:

Caliber and Felt Recoil

quote:

is it practical to keep a cheap piece of plastic in my car, and if so is the 9mm the obvious choice...

If you're of the opinion that polymer handguns are cheap pieces of plastic, you are severely mistaken. Polymer handguns are very popular for a reason and to pretend they aren't durable and reliable shows me you're severely limiting yourself. While someone may prefer a steel or aluminum framed handgun, to bash any polymer handgun is idiotic.

If you want another pistol chambered in 45, have you considered a polymer 45? Two of my favorites are the S&W M&P45 and the new Ruger SR45.

quote:

aside from magazine capacity what discernible benefit does it give me

Magazine capacity to me is the biggest one. But 9mm is also cheaper at the range, is standardized in some Law Enforcement, is the standard military sidearm caliber, and offers an absolutely massive ammo selection. 45 has its merits and offers variety too, but not to the degree of 9mm.

I am not a 45 hater. I own a 1911 and love it. But to pretend a 9mm is a weakling and that a "plastic" pistol is less than capable is very short-sighted.
This post was edited on 7/10/14 at 7:21 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 8:06 pm to
I don't think it's a weakling. I just shoot better with a .45 than a 9mm

At first because of .45 reputation I was anticipating recoil but now it's smooth. I shoot it better and I keep a better grip on it because it's a short barreled pistol so it's a bit snappy.

I would Occassionally limp wrist 9mm for some reason. Or did. Bigger problem with the 5.7. (Too much polymer)

By cheap piece of plastic I mean not paying a grand for a gun and buying used. I'm not dismissing it. I might reacquire an sr9c used. But I don't like the polymer frames. I almost bought a kimber ultra with a steel frame but I decided the aluminum frame was the perfect compromise

Everyone took that as derisive it wasn't
This post was edited on 7/11/14 at 1:14 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 8:26 pm to
Also I think the polymer guns (particularly the S&W M&P, all the FN .45s) are quite good looking

They just feel super top heavy to me. I know my aluminum frame is a bit like that, but it's a conceal gun and it's a bit more balanced
Posted by LSUmakemewanna
Houston, TX
Member since Aug 2010
1733 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 10:07 pm to
quote:

Would you by any chance have a cite for this ? I'm always interested in learning about CCW laws & rules in other states.

I'm on the ipad, so let me know if this turns out funky.
Texas DPS Statutes

Look down to Sec 46.02

Further down in Sec 46.035 governs where I can't carry even as a permitted carrier.

Also from the FAQ DPS
Look at question 33
This post was edited on 7/10/14 at 10:10 pm
Posted by Bleeding purple
Athens, Texas
Member since Sep 2007
25315 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 10:56 pm to
I live here too and he is correct in your vehicle it must be concealed.
Posted by bapple
Capital City
Member since Oct 2010
11889 posts
Posted on 7/10/14 at 11:21 pm to
quote:

I don't think it's a weakling. I just shoot better with a .45 than a 9mm

Well that's pretty sound reasoning then. Can't really argue with a dude's preference.

quote:

Or did. Bigger problem with the 5.7. (Too much polymer)

I would never drop a grand on something with THAT much polymer that shoots an expensive bullet that is insanely difficult to reload. I highly doubt the 5.7 ever becomes "uniform" as you hope. It's a cool round but think of all the energy lost when shooting it in pistol form. If you had it in a P90 platform, then it makes little sense to not be shooting the more-powerful 5.56. I just have a tough time seeing the niche. Maybe the large magazine capacity in both the 5-7 (up to 30) and the P90 (50) are the biggest selling points.

I think the reason I may have thought your comments were negative is that you obviously prefer something with a metal frame. And while the metal frame has its merits, polymer is way too common to pretend it isn't effective. But then again, that's obviously not what you were shooting for (punny).

quote:

Also I think the polymer guns (particularly the S&W M&P, all the FN .45s) are quite good looking

They just feel super top heavy to me. I know my aluminum frame is a bit like that, but it's a conceal gun and it's a bit more balanced

Can't argue with that. They are definitely top-heavy. Most polymer guns have a very low bore-axis though and give a very comfortable "push" in recoiling, very similar to the 1911. Also, the savings in weight is really big when you're gonna lug your handgun around all day.

Then again, if you comfortably carry an aluminum-framed Kimber, then stick with what you know. That will do just fine in stopping an attacker.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 7/11/14 at 12:56 am to
Don't dismiss the 5.7 round. It was advantageous to me for several reasons

my wife could pick it up if the need ever arose, it's soooooo light (unfortunately I had the tendency to hold it like a toy because that's what it feels like) it carries 20, the good ammo is freaking incredible, check out elite ammo T-6, but that's too scarce. The factory stuff is junk in comparison. They're just not making a lot of the ammo that utilizes the pistol's capabilities. Contrary to internet lore, this stuff isn't illegal. Plus I love the ergonomics (love the safety) it has a mag release safety and a loaded chamber indicator that is subtle but highly effective (just rub your finger on the ball bearing) I hope the round catches on because the 5.7 is a great pistol. Once this becomes cheaper (if it does) it is way more than a range toy. Price wasn't a concern for me with the ammo, but I wanted the good stuff for when it was on me and it just isn't readily available. The American eagle is just dog shite

Cons:
Sights
Maybe too light
Muzzle flash is absurd

Check out the elite ammunition (shot from pistol) it's is fricking nasty stuff
This post was edited on 7/11/14 at 1:10 am
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram