Started By
re: .

Posted on 10/25/14 at 10:18 am to
Posted by Sir Drinksalot
Member since Aug 2005
16740 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 10:18 am to
My doctor doesn't like to give abx scripts. I had to beg for one the last time.
Posted by Mo Jeaux
Member since Aug 2008
58556 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 10:40 am to
Is your doctor prescribing antibiotics for the flu? You may want to find a new doctor.
Posted by Hopeful Doc
Member since Sep 2010
14942 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:23 am to
quote:

My doctor doesn't like to give abx scripts. I had to beg for one the last time.

They're very likely justified in being a good steward for antibiotics. Patients like antibiotics because they feel like pills fix things. Time fixes things far more often than pills. Doctors are taught to distinguish the difference between which is better. Patients, unfortunately, don't particularly like to hear that the best cure for them is "feel bad for two to five days and then you're back to your baseline. If I do give you antibiotics, you'll feel bad for two to five days and then be back to your baseline." Plenty of doctors, particularly those that aren't as talented or into the evidence-based medicine of primary care, go ahead and throw an antibiotic at a patient to keep them happy and because there's relatively little harm done. It's borderline infuriating, but it's the world we live in.
Posted by Sir Drinksalot
Member since Aug 2005
16740 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:29 am to
I agree. I was just desperate bc I felt so shitty.

My kids (elementary age) have each only had them once or twice.

My 86 yr old grandma is completely immune to them from over taking them during her life. It sucks bc now is the time she could really use the benefits.
Posted by Hopeful Doc
Member since Sep 2010
14942 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:36 am to
quote:

My 86 yr old grandma is completely immune to them from over taking them during her life.

Are you trolling? I would hate to type a response if so, so I'll leave it at "that's really not how they work," unless you really want a better explanation than that.
Posted by Sir Drinksalot
Member since Aug 2005
16740 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:37 am to
Idk. That's what her doctor told her. Maybe my words were wrong. He said they are ineffective bc she took too many over the years. He got one to work but it was a super dose, after trying several others.

Abx resistance...not a real thing?
This post was edited on 10/25/14 at 11:41 am
Posted by Hopeful Doc
Member since Sep 2010
14942 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:47 am to
Antibiotic resistance is absolutely a real thing, but it's community-based, not individual based unless you're talking about a chronic infection that was inappropriately treated. The classic example of the latter is a little kid with an ear infection who gets antibiotics and starts to feel better but has another ear infection in the same ear a day or two after the antibiotics. There were some bacteria that needed a higher dose of antibiotics that lived. Then they grew, now all bacteria need more of the drug, or a different one. It can be applied to other scenarios as well, almost all with a "sick, not sick, sick" course that's within days to weeks. Even still, there are plenty of other antibiotic choices left for better coverage. Sounds like what happened is the doctor tried to put it in simpler terms that were easier to understand which wound up causing a misunderstanding, if I'm wagering. So maybe for whatever problem that required those antibiotics, she had a resistant strain, but that doesn't mean that she is "immune to antibiotics" in every instance. For some other infection, even the simple ones will probably do quite fine.
Posted by Boats n Hose
NOLA
Member since Apr 2011
37248 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:49 am to
quote:

OT consensus is on flu shots

It doesn't matter what the OT consensus is on them.

Medical science says that they do work.
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:54 am to
quote:

The frank stupidity on this board sometimes is just unreal. That TB shot they gave you was just to make sure you didn't have TB. They don't want you giving TB to other students. It was not a vaccine.

It's pretty obvious you are the moron since I clearly stated I knew it was not TB I contracted but that I just got sick for 2 weeks (I was never sicker before nor have I been as sick since).

I am 36 (37 in a few days) and I have never had the flu despite refusing to ever get a flu shot. I was at my sisters in Alabama last Christmas and she came down with the flu while I was there despite the fact she had a flu shot. And yes it was diagnosed by Urgent Care clinic doctors as the flu. Magically, I never contracted the flu. My immune system clearly needs to be trained to ward off the flu.

P.S. GFY
Posted by Lithium
Member since Dec 2004
61879 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:58 am to
quote:

And yes it was diagnosed by Urgent Care clinic doctors as the flu.

The varibility on quality of UC Doctors is staggering IMO.

And though I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night I do know more medicine than most OTers and yes they do work
Posted by Boats n Hose
NOLA
Member since Apr 2011
37248 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:00 pm to
You're a fricking moron
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:01 pm to
quote:

The varibility on quality of UC Doctors is staggering IMO.

And though I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night I do know more medicine than most OTers and yes they do work

I know nothing about how they test for the flu since I never got sick enough to suspect I had the flu. All I know is she came back home with a printout that indicated she tested positive for the flu (or whatever it said). She works in a residential home so she was forced to take a flu shot and was forced to stay home the entire time I was at her house. That's all I really know.
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:02 pm to
quote:

You're a fricking moron

GFY. People who get flu shots get the flu at times. I never had a flu shot or the flu. I will take my chances.
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:03 pm to
quote:

It doesn't matter what the OT consensus is on them.

Medical science says that they do work.

I do not know anything about medical science regarding flu shots but I know a handful of people who got the flu after a flu shot. I know just as many who claim to never had taken a flu shot and have never had the flu.
Posted by Hopeful Doc
Member since Sep 2010
14942 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:19 pm to
quote:

I know just as many who claim to never had taken a flu shot and have never had the flu.

I know a ton of people who had sex without any form of birth control and didn't get pregnant.
Posted by BallyHOO
Member since Oct 2005
6845 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:21 pm to
I've gotten a flu shot 5 of the last 6 years. The year I didn't was the only one I got the flu.

So I'm going to say yea...
Posted by Boats n Hose
NOLA
Member since Apr 2011
37248 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:22 pm to
It's not 100% efficacious because it works off of predictions on which strains will be most prevalent. It isn't known for sure until flu season is in full swing, and by then it's too late for a vaccine.

FWIW your logic is no different than the "well my grandpa smoked for 40 years and never got lung cancer, smoking won't give you lung cancer"
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:23 pm to
quote:

I know a ton of people who had sex without any form of birth control and didn't get pregnant.

Point taken. As a previous poster indicated I have probably been exposed to countless antigens and variants of the flu and I have never contracted the flu. I am trusting my body to protect me as it had done for nearly 37 years.

ETA: fixed typo
This post was edited on 10/25/14 at 12:52 pm
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:24 pm to
quote:

FWIW your logic is no different than the "well my grandpa smoked for 40 years and never got lung cancer, smoking won't give you lung cancer"

Except the complete opposite since I am refraining from "training my body" how to deal with multiple variants of the flu as opposed to actively inhaling the air around 1000s with the flu?
Posted by Boats n Hose
NOLA
Member since Apr 2011
37248 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:45 pm to
quote:

Except the complete opposite since I am refraining from "training my body" how to deal with multiple variants of the flu as opposed to actively inhaling the air around 1000s with the flu?

No. You're using a really small sample size to downplay years of research and data across large populations. It's the same thing.
first pageprev pagePage 7 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram