Started By
re: .

Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:50 pm to
Posted by euquol
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2012
2736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 12:50 pm to
I'm primarily relying on the fact that 1) no flu shot can protect from all versions of the flu and 2) my immune system hasn't let me down yet.

You inject yourself with whatever you want.
Posted by Boats n Hose
NOLA
Member since Apr 2011
37248 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 1:37 pm to
Most years it can protect you against the strains you'll most likely be exposed to.

I just like knowing I won't unintentionally pass on the flu to someone immunocompromised who could potentially die from it.
Posted by Red Stick Tigress
Tiger Stadium
Member since Nov 2005
17846 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 1:42 pm to
quote:

The varibility on quality of UC Doctors is staggering IMO

That may be so but I know an Urgent Care place where the 2 doctors on staff have more than 50 years of ER behind them.

I just don't pick ANY Doc in the Box to go to.
Posted by Winkface
Member since Jul 2010
34377 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 1:57 pm to
quote:

thetempleowl
Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12400 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 3:10 pm to
quote:

I've gotten a flu shot 5 of the last 6 years. The year I didn't was the only one I got the flu.
So I'm going to say yea...

Ditto.
Posted by Twenty 49
Shreveport
Member since Jun 2014
18736 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 3:36 pm to
Got flu once years ago, and it was "just shoot me" awful.

Had a shot for last many years and no flu .. except once.

Last year I had a fever and mild symptoms. Let the Doc check it out just in case. Nasal swab came back for flu. "You're kidding," I said, because I felt fine, like a mild cold.

Doc said, and I've read elsewhere, that even if the flu shot does not prevent the flu it can make symptoms less severe and shorter-lasting.

Never had side effects of the shot until this year. A few hours after getting the shot, I developed a fever of about 102 that lasted for a couple of hours, then went away. Someone else I know got achy for a few hours the next day. Must be strong this year.
Posted by Champagne
Already Conquered USA.
Member since Oct 2007
48280 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 7:04 pm to
quote:

Although never tested, I'm putting my nickel down on that being widespread influenza among, at least, 14-18 year olds.

See, I've had bad colds, but, nothing like what you describe here.

I've had a couple of terrible stomach virus infections in my time from eating bad raw oysters, and that might be just as bad as the flu. But, wow, seems to me that I have never had Influenza.
Posted by brgfather129
Los Angeles, CA
Member since Jul 2009
17098 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:17 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 10/25/14 at 11:18 pm
Posted by tiderider
Member since Nov 2012
7703 posts
Posted on 10/25/14 at 11:37 pm to
i don't know if they work or not ... i don't remember a time in my life that i've ever had the flu, though if you read various websites (webmd, nhi, etc) they tell you everyone gets the flu a time or two at some point ... i got a shot last year ... didn't have any major side effects that i can remember ... do remember reading about healthy 45 year olds (my age group) dying from the flu ... not a lot, but enough to make you go "hmm" ...

so i have no answer for the op, but i'll get a flu shot just to make sure ...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 8 of 8Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram