re: .

Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:55 am to
Posted by SSpaniel
Germantown
Member since Feb 2013
29658 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:55 am to
quote:

Now, the nasal spray form is live. Did he receive that one?

I got that one year... said I couldn't sneeze or anything for a half hour or so... so naturally, I had to sneeze.

I have to get them for work (children's hospital, so they are mandatory... and free and given by the hospital. They basically set up outside the cafeteria and hit you on the way out)... have not gotten the flu at all. Kids and wife get them as well. Haven't seen the flu around our house in years. Now if they could just come up with a vaccine for the stomach virus.
Posted by beaver
The 755 Club
Member since Sep 2009
46861 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:58 am to
I got a flu shot last week and now I have autism
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72035 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:59 am to
quote:

Message Posted by beaver I got a flu shot last week and now I have autism
Why didn't you listen to Jenny McCarthy? WHY?!
Posted by Patrick_Bateman
Member since Jan 2012
17823 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:01 am to
quote:

Do they really work?
Yes.

/thread
Posted by TeddyPadillac
Member since Dec 2010
25456 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:08 am to
quote:

How exactly do you know that? You do know that the flu shot is a killed virus, right?

The kid is three years old. He's gotten shots multiple times in his life already. He gets sick the next day every time, twice with getting only the flu shot. Is that a coincidence? Everytime i go get a shot with him, i tell my boss i will most likely be out the next two days, and i am.

I feel like all that kid has gotten is shots and anti-biotics his whole life anytime he has a sniffle or cough.

quote:

Also, there is a multitude of other illnesses that an individual can still get. Was he tested for flu? How do you know that he had the flu?

Not sure your understanding what i'm talking about. He gets flu like symptoms for 2-3 days after the shot. Happened both times he got the shot. The doctor told us it may happen. There's no testing involved. I'm tired of it happening.
The kid goes to the doctor all the time b/c daycare pretty much makes us, which is another topic all together. IF he actually got the flu, he'd be at the doctor in time to get the tamiflu stuff.
Posted by LSUJuice
Back in Houston
Member since Apr 2004
17666 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:19 am to
quote:

The kid is three years old.

3-year-olds get sick. It's what they do.
quote:

He gets sick the next day every time, twice with getting only the flu shot. Is that a coincidence?
Yes. See above.
quote:

I feel like all that kid has gotten is shots and anti-biotics his whole life anytime he has a sniffle or cough.
Maybe he has shitty genetics
Posted by m2pro
Member since Nov 2008
28597 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:20 am to
It's based off of the hospital and their best guess at which strain is truly going to be the one that's around.

All in all, i think i remembered a nurse telling me that your odds are certainly helped, but it's no magic bullet due to the diff strains. probably reduces your chances by a solid 25-50%
Posted by Pettifogger
Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
Member since Feb 2012
79128 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:21 am to
Shut up Jenny McCarthy
Posted by TeddyPadillac
Member since Dec 2010
25456 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:27 am to
thanks for your worthless contribution

my 3 year old has been sick once with a fever virus that lasted 24 hous over the last 14 months
I feel like he's getting closer to not getting sick much anymore, considering how often he got sick the first 2 years of his life. His immune system is getting stronger.

My 1 year old seems to only get sick when he gets his shots and when he has teeth coming out. Outside of that, he's had a runny nose and that's about it, which is a big difference from our first kid.

It's 2014, i don't see the point in intentionally making my kid sick for 2 days hoping to prevent a virus that i've seen once in my life between myself, my wife, my parents, my sister, her 7 year old, my neighbors, and their kids.

Personal choice.
Posted by NOFOX
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2014
9933 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:32 am to
quote:

Why would you not get the shot?

Some people think that the populace is over-vaccinated putting genetic pressure on influenza that will lead to shifts to more virulent and/or deadly variations.

Many feel this way because they conflate the widespread use of flu vaccinations with the overuse of antibiotics which has caused antibiotic resistant superbugs.

They also see that most European countries do not call for vaccination of the entire populace, but rather only those more in danger of adverse effects (elderly, asthmatics...etc.) and there does not appear to be any significant differences in flu rates from Europe to US other than the unexplained significantly increased effects on the US from the 2009 H1N1 strains versus europe.

Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89486 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 11:34 am to
I have been getting the flu shot for 8 to 10 years. I cannot recall 1 full blown episode of the flu in that time (and I used to get it, roughly every 2 to 3 seasons) - I thought I had a mild case a while back, but it could have also been a bad cold.
Posted by Clames
Member since Oct 2010
16541 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:09 pm to
I love these threads. Brings out the dirtbag parents that don't vaccinate their kids and the ignorant loons that drum up the usual anti-vaxxer talking points. Hopefully, one day, society will start treating these people like lepers. Make them liable in civil court if their kids start contracting whooping cough and bring it to class. Unless you have a legitimate medical reason for not getting a vaccination you are just a dirtbag. My immunization record has 49 entries just going back to 1998, flu shot every year and I've never had the flu.
Posted by Hammertime
Will trade dowsing rod for titties
Member since Jan 2012
43030 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:12 pm to
I haven't ever gotten a flu shot and the last time I had the flu was 20 years ago
Posted by MrFreakinMiyagi
Reseda
Member since Feb 2007
18955 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:13 pm to
Yes
Posted by LSUfan20005
Member since Sep 2012
8807 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:14 pm to
quote:

Unless you have a legitimate medical reason for not getting a vaccination you are just a dirtbag.

Your opinion.

What if your medical reason is the mounting evidence that some vaccines DO pose potential dangers. Even if the risk of something like Guillain-Barre is small, everyone should have the freedom to opt out.

FWIW, I know someone who was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre after receiving a flu shot. I know my risks of doing the same is minimal. But it's still a risk I don't want to take.

For something like measels, polio, etc - I accept that vaccinations are a positive. For something like the Flu, which changes constantly and is rarely deadly, I'll take my chances.

FWIW, I've never had the shot OR the flu. Neither has anyone else in my household.
Posted by Mindenfan
Minden
Member since Sep 2006
4786 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:16 pm to
If I decrease my chances of getting the flu, I'm all for it.
Posted by TeddyPadillac
Member since Dec 2010
25456 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:23 pm to
quote:

Unless you have a legitimate medical reason for not getting a vaccination you are just a dirtbag.

Just an fyi, my kids have gotten all of their vaccines. I'm just tired of the flu vaccine.

quote:

My immunization record has 49 entries just going back to 1998, flu shot every year and I've never had the flu.

There's just as many people that have never had a flu shot that don't get it as well.

My wife gets a flu shot every year. They say a mother who vaccinates yearly usually passes along some immunities to her kids. I'm good with that.

I don't work at a doctors office or hospital, but i don't know anyone that has had the flu in the last 10 years. Colds, yeah, flu, no.
Posted by Clames
Member since Oct 2010
16541 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:24 pm to
My opinion has vastly more and credible research behind it. Citing the vanishingly small chance of a complication vs the much greater chance of getting a preventable diseases (nevermind everything else you do in life that carries a much higher chance of injury) is idiotic at best. The flu only changes among a few common strains (which is why there are tri- and quadrivalent vaccines) and kills thousands every year in the US.
Posted by Clames
Member since Oct 2010
16541 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:32 pm to
Who is they?

quote:

My wife gets a flu shot every year. They say a mother who vaccinates yearly usually passes along some immunities to her kids. I'm good with that.

You really believe this?
Posted by SirWinston
PNW
Member since Jul 2014
81415 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 12:34 pm to
Just make sure you wash your hands. Everybody in the north washes their hands all the time. I remember at Saints games like 15% of guys washed their hands - it's fricking gross. Step up your game, Southerners.
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram