92876 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:36 am to
I know its worth with babies Nurse!
Posted by Cold Cous Cous
Bucktown, La.
Member since Oct 2003
15043 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:37 am to
I wonder how many people who say "I had the flu" actually have influenza. Probably less than half. If you actually have the flu, you will know it.
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:38 am to
quote:

I wonder how many people who say "I had the flu" actually have influenza. Probably less than half. If you actually have the flu, you will know it.

Exactly. Everyone with a slight fever and some sniffles thinks it is the flu. Like you said, if you actually have the flu...you know it.
Posted by weedGOKU666
THE 'COLA
Member since Jan 2013
3736 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:38 am to
quote:

I just can't believe how many people flock to get a shot every year that may be as much as 60% effective and has possible negative health consequences.

Please, illuminate us on these negative health consequences. I'll gladly take a few mild flu symptoms* briefly if it means greatly reducing my chances of being useless and feeling like death for a week. Also, as lsunurse mentioned, the herd immunity aspect is nice as well.

*Note: I've never actually had any reaction to the flu shot aside from a slight soreness in my arm near the shot location for a couple of days.
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:39 am to
Scruffy I have a feeling this year is gonna be a bad respiratory season. We are already seeing kids with RSV.
Posted by tiger91
In my own little world
Member since Nov 2005
36703 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:40 am to
In my son's situation, he was flu tested so we KNOW it was the flu ... unless they were bullshitting for some reason which I don't suspect. Luckily we got him checked within the timeframe that Tamiflu or Relenza could be given. GREATLY lessened his down time.
Posted by ColeCoushCoush
Member since Aug 2014
497 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:40 am to
quote:

I just can't believe how many people flock to get a shot every year that may be as much as 60% effective and has possible negative health consequences.

Even a young, healthy person is more likely to die from the flu than have any serious complications from the flu shot.

It's your choice whether or not you get the flu shot for yourself. But if you're claiming that the risks of the flu shot outweigh the benefits, that's just pure ignorance.
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:44 am to
quote:

my son's situation, he was flu tested so we KNOW it was the flu

Again....it takes 2 WEEKS for the flushot to be able to protect you. So if your son got sick a few days after getting the shot....it wasn't from the shot.

Meaning that if you get a flushot today....if you get the flu in the next 2 weeks...it's not because you got the flushot...it's because you were exposed to the flu before the shot could protect you. It's why you should get the flushot at the beginning of flu season(which starts Oct 1)...so you are protected.
Posted by Mindenfan
Minden
Member since Sep 2006
4786 posts
quote:

never got the flu shot.. never had the flu.
I've never had the flu either. The point is, I'd rather put up with an adverse affect of the vaccine than die of the flu.
Personally, I can't understand how someone could see it any differently than that.
Posted by MetArl15
Washington, DC
Member since Apr 2007
9474 posts
"The flu" is a very general catch-all term. The yearly vaccine only corresponds to specific strains of the influenza virus. You are not protected against other strains, of which there are plenty.

So yes, they "work". But they don't cover all forms of the virus.
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72029 posts
quote:

his illnesses were from the flu shot.
How exactly do you know that? You do know that the flu shot is a killed virus, right?

Unless your child is the unluckiest kid in the USA and happened to receive two doses that had live virus (possible, although highly unlikely), he did not get sick from the vaccine.

Now, the nasal spray form is live. Did he receive that one?

It also does not sound as if it was an allergic reaction.

What people fail to understand about the flu vaccine, and vaccines in general, is that they do not work immediately. You can still get the illness for two weeks after the shot. It also has no impact if the individual is already sick.

Also, there is a multitude of other illnesses that an individual can still get. Was he tested for flu? How do you know that he had the flu?

This post was edited on 10/24/14 at 10:47 am
Posted by Yellerhammer5
Member since Oct 2012
10851 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:46 am to
quote:

I work in health care and haven't had the flu in years and haven't taken the flu shot in years either.

The vaccine isn't to protect your dumb arse, it's to keep you from giving it to young or elderly patients who are at a higher risk of dying from the flu.
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72029 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:48 am to
quote:

"The flu" is a very general catch-all term. The yearly vaccine only corresponds to specific strains of the influenza virus. You are not protected against other strains, of which there are plenty.
Exactly. Also, people will state that they had the flu even though they may have had an infection from another virus, possibly rhinovirus, Enterovirus, RSV, etc.

Unless you get tested for the flu, no one can say for sure.
Posted by LSUSUPERSTAR
TX
Member since Jan 2005
16305 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:48 am to
This thread proves that there are a lot of uneducated tards in this country. I feel bad for future generations. Idiocracy come to life. SMH.
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:50 am to
quote:

rhinovirus

I feel like every kid with a sniffle we swab at work has this damn virus
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:51 am to
quote:

Note: I've never actually had any reaction to the flu shot aside from a slight soreness in my arm near the shot location for a couple of days.

Same here. Sometimes I may just feel tired/achy the next day or two as well. Nothing serious though. I just make sure to get the shot when I have the next day or two off in case I feel a lil "ugh" from it.
Posted by Scruffy
Kansas City
Member since Jul 2011
72029 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:51 am to
Everyone has rhinovirus or enterovirus.

EVERYONE
Posted by lsunurse
Member since Dec 2005
128950 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:53 am to
That's what someone else told me as well.

Posted by AnonymousTiger
Franklin, TN
Member since Jan 2012
4863 posts
Posted on 10/24/14 at 10:54 am to
Why would you not get the shot?

Especially considering that the majority of Americans can get it for free as preventative coverage on insurance (or maybe $15 dollars at most) or through some other program.
This post was edited on 10/24/14 at 10:55 am
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 8Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram