Posted on 4/4/16 at 3:06 pm to
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89490 posts
Posted on 4/4/16 at 3:06 pm to
quote:

Tell them what they've won, Chuck.

AFI isn't the only authority for ranking movies. That juggle shite around their lists all the time, depending on what's "in" or "out."

quote:

Internet generated consensus is bullshite.

The internet doesn't generate anything. It's just the way folks communicate with each other in the modern world.

quote:

Hell, 4Chan almost got Kim Jong Un named Time's man of the year.

Hitler and Stalin were men of the year, back in the day. It doesn't mean they condone the guy, but just his impact on events. They've SJW soft-pedaled since then, but they loved them some communist or fascist dictators back in the day I count at least 11 awards for such men, if one includes Khomeini for 1979, since 1927.

quote:

Sniff the glove, bitch.

You're extraordinarily difficult to like, even when I agree with you.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/4/16 at 3:10 pm to
Probably why I like him so much I appreciate intensity when it's not coming from a place of stupidity.
This post was edited on 4/4/16 at 3:12 pm
Posted by blueboy
Member since Apr 2006
56274 posts
Posted on 4/4/16 at 3:29 pm to
quote:

AFI isn't the only authority for ranking movies. That juggle shite around their lists all the time, depending on what's "in" or "out."
I have never seen an "all time" list that includes Empire. It's a great movie, but it has a lot of problems, shitty dialogue being one of them.
quote:

Hitler and Stalin were men of the year, back in the day. It doesn't mean they condone the guy, but just his impact on events.
Right, but what I'm saying is that KJU's nomination was 100% driven by assholes on the internet. It was a manufactured consensus.
quote:

You're extraordinarily difficult to like, even when I agree with you.
I burn a lot of bridges. It's a personal problem, but frick it. I can't live without passion.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/4/16 at 3:32 pm to
quote:

I burn a lot of bridges. It's a personal problem, but frick it. I can't live without passion.

Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89490 posts
Posted on 4/4/16 at 4:16 pm to
quote:

I have never seen an "all time" list that includes Empire.

I linked you one. Plus I linked another poll with Empire better than Star Wars.

quote:

shitty dialogue being one of them.

Shittier than Star Wars? (I mean, they're both simple films. I don't think either is shitty. I don't see the dialogue being noticeably better in one over the other - that's why I ask).

quote:

It was a manufactured consensus.

Perhaps. But Empire's critical acclaim isn't. It isn't manufactured. It has evolved over the passage of time. Casablanca, while acclaimed, took some time before it was considered a GOAT candidate - particularly over Citizen Kane. Folks were slow to come around to Pulp Fiction and even slower to Shawshank, just to name a couple.

Saying Empire is better is not the same as saying Star Wars is bad. It is very akin to the Godfather/Godfather II debate among fans. And just as legitimate here. Very few sequels equal or exceed a great first chapter. Aliens is close, Terminator 2 - on a good day - pulls it off (I'm very fond of the original). Godfather II is close. Empire gets there - by the slimmest of margins. And I didn't get that from the internet.

Let's get to brass tacks - the best character in Star Wars is (real) Darth Vader - by a significant margin over Han Solo in clear second place. Empire's strength is that it is - essentially, Darth Vader: The Movie. The only thing happening outside of Vader's machinations is Luke training with Yoda. Even then, Vader is able to use the force, passively, to draw Luke into his trap. The best villains make the best movies - and the films with the strongest villainous performance will almost always produced the best final product. This is why Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman were in such demand over the past 30 years, for example. This is why the first Die Hard film remains the best, or the middle Nolan Batman film is the only one seriously worth rewatching and studying.

And it is why Empire is the best Star Wars film and one of the greatest films of all time.

quote:

It's a personal problem, but frick it. I can't live without passion.

You recall how I am treated regarding my opinion about the terrible, g-dawful, Abrams 2009 so-called "Star Trek" film, right (opinions I believe you largely share)?

So, I understand where you're coming from, in that respect. It is your somewhat flippant, dickishness that is off-putting, not your passionate opinions.

This post was edited on 4/4/16 at 4:17 pm
Posted by blueboy
Member since Apr 2006
56274 posts
Posted on 4/4/16 at 4:37 pm to
quote:

Shittier than Star Wars? (I mean, they're both simple films. I don't think either is shitty. I don't see the dialogue being noticeably better in one over the other - that's why I ask).
"A wretched hive of scum and villainy" and "I've been waiting for you, Obi Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete....." is a damn sight better than "laser-brained nerf herder" and other lines I recognized were crap even at the age of ten.
quote:

It isn't manufactured. It has evolved over the passage of time.
It's like some campaign to name it better, and you're playing into it.
quote:

Folks were slow to come around to Pulp
No they weren't. If anything, the movie has gone down in regard since it was released.
quote:

Very few sequels equal or exceed a great first chapter.
Blade 2 was way better than the original.
quote:

The best villains make the best movies
Not always. They make great movies, but there are plenty of great movies that don't have iconic villains.
quote:

You recall how I am treated regarding my opinion about the terrible, g-dawful, Abrams 2009 so-called "Star Trek" film, right (opinions I believe you largely share)?
Still right there with you, brother. Preach on.
Posted by biglego
Ask your mom where I been
Member since Nov 2007
76220 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 12:59 am to
quote:

Did we quit building B-17s when many were shot down? Did we quit using space shuttles after Challenge

I'm not even arguing that, if the Empire actually in real life existed it should never try to build another Death Star. I would just like to see something different. It's like if the Avengers have to keep fighting new versions of Ultron every movie.
Posted by AUveritas
Member since Aug 2013
2918 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 6:31 am to
While it's hard for me to give a fair assessment of ROTJ for nostalgic reasons, I will say I'm a little surprised at the hate garnered by the film by many on here. As a 70s kid who watched the original trilogy in the theaters, we, of course, had to wait years between the films. Seeing my hero, Han Solo, frozen in carbonite at the end of TESB was torture. If nothing else, I'll always remember ROTJ as the film in which Han was saved and helped save the galaxy.
This post was edited on 4/5/16 at 6:32 am
Posted by OMLandshark
Member since Apr 2009
108098 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 7:39 am to
quote:

Seeing my hero, Han Solo, frozen in carbonite at the end of TESB was torture. If nothing else, I'll always remember ROTJ as the film in which Han was saved and helped save the galaxy.

But if I had to say RotJ's biggest flaw, this is it. They should have killed Han. In retrospect it's ok due to them making up for it in TFA, but it wasn't for 30+ years.
Posted by AUveritas
Member since Aug 2013
2918 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 7:47 am to
quote:

But if I had to say RotJ's biggest flaw, this is it. They should have killed Han. In retrospect it's ok due to them making up for it in TFA, but it wasn't for 30+ years.

Kids don't think that way though. I think part of the problem of viewing these movies as adults is that they lose the magic of being seen through the eyes of a child. I don't believe the original trilogy was ever meant to be movies enjoyed as cynical adults. We should appreciate them for that.
Posted by biglego
Member since Nov 2007
76220 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 8:24 am to
Yeah it seems a recent cool thing to do is hate ROTJ. I don't know why. I rarely ever heard criticism beyond the ewoks until now.
Posted by Tiger Ryno
#WoF
Member since Feb 2007
103000 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 8:44 am to
Can't wait till 10am when i.can go.purchase the Force awakens blue ray. Awesomeness.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89490 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 9:03 am to
quote:

Yeah it seems a recent cool thing to do is hate ROTJ.

Well, to be fair, even at the time it was clearly the weakest of the original films.

quote:

I rarely ever heard criticism beyond the ewoks until now.

The more recent part stems - initially - from efforts to blunt criticism of the prequels. More recently, and what I believe you're talking about is the Abrams fanboys trying to elevate TFA - with the ludicrous position of ranking TFA after Star Wars/Empire (whatever the order of the 2 or 1a and 1b).

At least, that's the way I see it.

FTR:

Empire
Star Wars

Jedi

The rest of that shite is of no moment or significance to me. Done so poorly to make it a turn off of the entire franchise for the last 33 years.
This post was edited on 4/5/16 at 9:05 am
Posted by OMLandshark
Member since Apr 2009
108098 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 9:23 am to
quote:

The more recent part stems - initially - from efforts to blunt criticism of the prequels. More recently, and what I believe you're talking about is the Abrams fanboys trying to elevate TFA - with the ludicrous position of ranking TFA after Star Wars/Empire (whatever the order of the 2 or 1a and 1b).

You haven't even seen it yet as I seem to recall from earlier in this thread. The only reason you hate it is you don't like the Star Trek films he made. That and you heard it has a very similar plot to the original. You can't call it ridiculous unless you've seen it.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89490 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 9:42 am to
quote:

The only reason you hate it is you don't like anything he made.

FTFY
Posted by biglego
Member since Nov 2007
76220 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 9:50 am to
quote:

Well, to be fair, even at the time it was clearly the weakest of the original films.

That's always been the general view. But a POS? No way.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89490 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 9:57 am to
quote:

But a POS? No way.

No question that the OP is insane on this particular point. It is a fine film, just not up to the standards of the original or Empire.
Posted by BulldogXero
Member since Oct 2011
9762 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 9:58 am to
I don't think history will look back on Episode 7 as favorably as they do now -- at least not Star Wars fans. The plot takes far too much from Episode 4 and other films in the original trilogy, the logic is questionable in places (landing on a planet at light speed) and a lot felt cut out or rushed (sneaking through Starkiller base, Captain Pharma's entire role).

Ultimately I can now understand a lot of the criticisms Trekkies had with JJ Abrams Star Trek films even though I loved them. You're a lot more willing to overlook tiny flaws and inconsistencies when you don't go into the theater a die hard fan of the franchise and are just looking for a good movie.

As for Episode 6, It may be the weakest of the original trilogy, but it's still one of my favorite films.
This post was edited on 4/5/16 at 10:03 am
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 10:17 am to
thanks
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 4/5/16 at 10:19 am to
You haven't seen it...not an Abrams fanboy as you know but TFA is infinitely superior to Jedi and both copy the original
first pageprev pagePage 8 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram