re: .

Posted on 10/31/11 at 6:38 pm to
Posted by 33inNC
Charlotte, NC
Member since Mar 2011
4992 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 6:38 pm to
Please tell me you are not this dumb.

It is about being PROVEN to NFL scouts. Being in the pro system and having a great coach takes the guessing out of it and it doesn't mean that Cam cannot prove it once he is in the NFL (he already has in my eyes).

Look at JR, he had all the talent in the world, but did not do the small things needed to be great. He could potentially have another shot and do it, but he always leaned on his talent too much.

I would love to see Cam turn out to be better than Luck, but Luck is more proven than Cam was coming out. See, it is like a job interview, the GMs want to only take on so much risk.
Posted by dratnar
Member since Oct 2011
53 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 7:00 pm to
Cam was in an spread option gimmick type offense which is not run in the pros, so there was no film of him playing in a pro style offense (in D1 atleast), so you could only speculate as how effective of a passer he would be under center because throwing and making reads out of the option spread is much different than a pro style offense. Also, running the ball was a huge part of cam's game. You could only speculate as to how effective he would be moving the ball downfield if forced to rely primarily on his throwing.

Basically it comes down to known vs unknowns. All of the unknowns previously stated about cam were knowns with Luck (at the college level).
Cam was the #1 pick because of his upside. Scouts know he has all the tools, but it was just a question of whether or not he would be able to transition from Auburn's offense to a pro style NFL offense. We are now seeing that "upside" coming into fruition.
Posted by ZZTIGERS
Member since Dec 2007
17146 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 7:08 pm to
quote:

Statistically, yes. He is.

Seriously? Cam's 11 TDs & 9 INTs in 8 games are close to Rodgers' 20 TDs & 3 INTs in 7 games? You may want to re-think that.

With that being said, Cam is having a great rookie season, and is certainly well on his way to being elite. Let's just not crown him after only 8 games.
Posted by TIsuGGER
Member since Apr 2009
2321 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 8:38 pm to
quote:

Statistically, yes. He is.

11 TDs 9 ints

2-6

Not elite !!
Posted by TheSexecutioner
Member since Mar 2011
5253 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 8:44 pm to
So since accuracy, size, and arm strength are strengths for both of them, they are automatically equal in all of those categories? Nobody is saying Cam sucks at those things, but he's not Luck.

Secondly, whether or not Luck inherited a pro style system through no doing of his own matters not. Scouts look at it as valuable experience while Newton's gimmicky offense was not as relevant of experience and also harder to get an idea of how it would carry over to the NFL..
Posted by RLDSC FAN
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Member since Nov 2008
51742 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 8:57 pm to
quote:

as a prospect everyone was saying he sucks.

Seriously? Every mock draft I saw had him in the first round, some had him low first and others had him high. He ended up going 1st so I think its a bit of a stretch to say everyone thought he would suck.

I think a lot of NFL people were concerned about his work ethic and attitude, I remember hearing Jamarcus name come up a few times. Obviously there were character concerns about him; the stealing of a laptop, grades, the pay for play, all that stuff will get people to question a player. Glad he's proved a lot of people wrong thou, Cam's a lot of fun to watch.

This post was edited on 10/31/11 at 8:58 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:14 pm to
JR played in pro sets...so did

Matt leinart
Kyle boller
JP Losman
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez
Brady Quinn

Brees was a spread QB, Josh Freeman, roethlisberger, Mcnabb were not pro style college QBs. Notice all except Brees made an immediate impact.

It is justifiable to look at it, but I think people overvalue it. Good QBs are good QBs regardless of what system they play in.
Posted by beaverfever
Little Rock
Member since Jan 2008
32782 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:37 pm to
The offense he plays in and because he's white.
Posted by LawC
Member since Nov 2010
714 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:40 pm to
i'm just so glad that cam has done well cause it shows how much those idiots on ESPN really know (mcshay and kiper)

it didnt take a genius to figure out that Newton was a great pro pospect. if you watched Auburn's game from last year he got better and better as the year went on

he made accurate throws, he was a leader, was mobile but also didnt look to run only whenever the pocket collapsed, he was clutch when he needed to be, he made everyone around him better, he had a strong arm

ok he didnt play in a pro style offense, but lets be real, that doesnt guarantee success in the NFL, it means there might be less of a transition, but a smart kid with practice can learn a new system
Posted by F machine
Member since Jun 2009
11886 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:41 pm to
quote:

JR played in pro sets...so did

Matt leinart
Kyle boller
JP Losman
Chad Henne
Mark Sanchez
Brady Quinn

You are just skewing things to your advantage now. No one is saying being in a pro style offense makes you good or is even necessary, but it helps. For example, who would make a better hunter, a kid who grew up in a rural, wooded area or a kid who grew up in the city? More than likely, the first kid, but that isn't to say the second one wouldn't be a good hunter.

Anyway, like everyone else said, the reason Luck is seen as a better prospect is because he is more polished and he is just better at all of the things you mentioned except running outside of the pocket. Cam is good at those things too, but Luck is better.
Posted by TTsTowel
RIP Bow9den/Coastie
Member since Feb 2010
91654 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:42 pm to
quote:

11 TDs 9 ints

2-6

Not elite !!

And he also has 319 rushing yards and 7 TDs on the ground. He's carrying this offense, and every game they have played has come down to the wire. Without Cam, the Panthers are 0-8 and well on their way to another #1 draft pick in next years NFL draft.
Posted by Zamoro10
Member since Jul 2008
14743 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:44 pm to
quote:

Brees was a spread QB

You're not insinuating that Brees and Cam played in remotely similar offenses are you?

Brees played with 3-4 wide pocket passer. He wasn't an off-tackle running machine.
This post was edited on 10/31/11 at 9:45 pm
Posted by CajunFootball
Jackson, Mississippi
Member since Oct 2010
19432 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:48 pm to
Luck is by far a better prospect then anyone we've seen the last 10 years.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:50 pm to
No I'm not, the reason a pro style offense is so crucial according to the expert is taking snaps under center and dropping back

Brees was a shotgun QB same as cam
Posted by F machine
Member since Jun 2009
11886 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:52 pm to
quote:

crucial according to the expert is taking snaps under center and dropping back

Pretty sure it has a lot to do with the way the offense is actually ran also, not necessarily dropping back and where you are taking snaps.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 9:54 pm to
It's reading a defense under center and while dropping back.
Posted by F machine
Member since Jun 2009
11886 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 10:00 pm to
quote:

It's reading a defense under center and while dropping back.

But you would obviously understand the workings of a pro offense better if you worked in one during college.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 10:10 pm to
Of
Course, but that is not the difficult part. I just don't think it's important....that is just getting into too much detail and really as a host of good QBs in the NFL
Have proven...it's not really a big deal
Posted by LSUtigersarefun
Member since Aug 2009
9602 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 10:13 pm to
quote:

Newton has done a lot better than expected, but he still has a ways to go before he becomes a elite NFL passer.

Maybe in terms of traditional qb, but he is performing like a top 5 qb today.
Posted by LSUlunatic
Member since Dec 2006
6833 posts
Posted on 10/31/11 at 10:13 pm to
Polish vs Rawness. Luck is more NFL ready.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram