re: .

Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:12 am to
Posted by AwesomeSauce
Das Boot
Member since May 2015
7781 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:12 am to
quote:

Chevrolet's are basically made from cardboard and chewing gum.

Hmmm... well I just got rid of my '02 1500 with the 5.3L that I got from a dealer in November of '01 with 19 miles on the ODO. In that time I put over 370k miles on it. I changed: 1 brake booster, 2 rotors, 1 water pump/thermo/fan clutch, 1 radiator (hit a deer), 1 fuel pump, and 2 batteries (IIRC) outside of normal maintenance shocks/tires/plugs/oil/fluids. I only got 2500 on the trade in, but I'll take it.

TO the OP, I picked up a '16 TRD sport DCSB in November and love the truck. Rides goo, fits everything I need pulls my ATV trailer and boat good. I did drive the Colorado, Canyon, and Frontier as well, but ended up with the Taco because IMHO the ride was superior though the amenities were slightly lacking.
This post was edited on 1/9/17 at 10:13 am
Posted by VermilionTiger
Member since Dec 2012
37613 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:14 am to
quote:

To OP, I have the 2016 SR5, 4 door, 4x4, V6. Touch screen, xm/sirius, alloy wheels and towing package (7,500 pound capacity). No leather and not available with this package, but I don't care for leather personally.

I have the same but the 2017.

For others who have one, what are your impressions? I've only had it for a few days but it's an enjoyable ride.
Posted by Leonard
New Orleans
Member since Sep 2014
4254 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:16 am to
I like the idea of a diesel-powered midsize truck, so the edge obviously goes to GM in that regard.

Now, if Toyota decides to join that competition and put a diesel inside the Taco in the coming years...
Posted by jimbeam
University of LSU
Member since Oct 2011
75703 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:19 am to
"Obviously"
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84320 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:21 am to
quote:

I only got 2500 on the trade in, but I'll take it.

They made up for that inflated number elsewhere in your deal. Nothing wrong with a truck lasting that long though.
Posted by Leonard
New Orleans
Member since Sep 2014
4254 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:22 am to
It's not an untrue statement
Posted by AwesomeSauce
Das Boot
Member since May 2015
7781 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:25 am to
quote:

They made up for that inflated number elsewhere in your deal. Nothing wrong with a truck lasting that long though.

Oh I have no doubt. The "only got 2500" was sarcasm of course.
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84320 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:26 am to
quote:

Oh I have no doubt. The "only got 2500" was sarcasm of course.

Gotcha. How'd that 5.3 do with oil consumption. I had a Suburban with 150k miles that liked to drink about a quart every 2 months. No leaks.
Posted by Hester Carries
Member since Sep 2012
22500 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:27 am to
quote:

with the old Tacos compared to the new Colorados.

So a Rado is better than Taco?? What about the Canny? Or even your basic Dra/Fiddy?
Posted by AwesomeSauce
Das Boot
Member since May 2015
7781 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:36 am to
quote:

How'd that 5.3 do with oil consumption.

The last oil change I did, September, I was 1/2 quart low and there was slight seepage around the rear main area. No burning or leaking other than that in the 15 years I owned the truck. I consider myself very fortunate, because I know the 5.3 does have a rep for eating oil once it gets above 125k, but somehow I was able to avoid it.

I have been meticulous about my vehicles since I was 15 and my dad drained the oil, disconnected the battery, and took a valve core out of my first truck to see if I was ready to drive yet. I check fluids every saturday, zerks every third saturday, and wash/wax/vac every fourth saturday (weather permitting, not hunting season).
Posted by thegreatboudini
Member since Oct 2008
6461 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:44 am to
I love mine. I've had mine in the Colorado mountains and the Arizona desert. No issues at all. I put Toyo A/T's on mine and will say that I regret going the size larger. I went from 22-24mpg to 20-22. Not that there's that much difference, but the 9lbs per tire added did more damage that good IMO. Stick with the stock size.

Ride is great. I added the factory trifold tonneau cover and love it. Keep tools and ice chest back there with no worries. Also added 3" main tube n-fab bars.
Posted by saderade
America's City
Member since Jul 2005
25751 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 10:58 am to
Am I the only one surprised at the prices for a mid size truck? I always thought they were mid to upper 20s . Just bought a new F150 for around the same price as listed in this thread
Posted by OceanMan
Member since Mar 2010
20034 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 11:00 am to
quote:

Agree. I love my Colorado. People going on an on about Tacoma resale value haven't given the Colorado a fair opportunity on the market to see how well the resale value is. 2nd generation has only been out since 2015.

Tacoma is #1 out of all vehicles though.

This class of vehicle in general will have good resale, don't get me wrong, but you can't argue with the long history as the top ranked value vehicle. A GM vehicle simply won't pass a Toyota in that regard for the foreseeable future.

Like my first post said, I really like the GM offerings. I think they look great, and performance seems to be close to Tacoma.

Having said that, If I am buying a depreciating asset, I am buying the one that depreciates at the slowest rate. I don't really think about what sort of car I drive, or its features when I am in it, it's just a vehicle.

The resale is what it is because of not only quality, but demand. Every Chevy dealer in the country would gladly swap a new Colorado to get a Tacoma on the lot, because it may only last a week there.

And again, whatever you decide OP, get a 4x4. Whatever extra you spend, you will get back.
Posted by LNCHBOX
Member since Jun 2009
84320 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 11:03 am to
quote:

And again, whatever you decide OP, get a 4x4. Whatever extra you spend, you will get back.

You won't get back the extra in fuel and maintenance that you have to pay. And I'm not so sure you'll get back the full additional up front cost for the 4wd either. And while I'm splitting hairs, if OP is financing he won't get back the additional interest he pays on the extra money to get 4wd. There is no reason to buy 4wd if you don't need it.
Posted by dat yat
Chef Pass
Member since Jun 2011
4345 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 11:10 am to
quote:

After being in a full size, you'll hate them both equally.

I downsized from Silverado to Colorado in 2015. I like both trucks (son still drives the Silverado) but the Colorado has way better ride and handling. No issues in 19 months so far.

I got the crewcab with the 6' bed and I'm glad. The 5' bed is too short for a lot of things I haul to camp.
This post was edited on 1/9/17 at 11:18 am
Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Savannah
Member since Sep 2012
17547 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 12:25 pm to
Colorado. They screwed it up with that ugly arse grill and other changes.
Posted by DustyDinkleman
Here
Member since Feb 2012
18176 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 12:28 pm to
quote:

So, 2017 Colorado

Bought my 2016 a few months ago. Best ride in a mid-size truck I've ever experienced.
Posted by bobaftt1212
Hills of TN
Member since Mar 2013
1317 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 12:52 pm to
taco
Posted by Supermoto Tiger
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2010
9948 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 12:58 pm to
Tacoma = quality
Colorado = shitty Chevy
Posted by member12
Bob's Country Bunker
Member since May 2008
32123 posts
Posted on 1/9/17 at 1:01 pm to
quote:

Bought my 2016 a few months ago. Best ride in a mid-size truck I've ever experienced.

The people I know who have gotten a Colorado love them. It's the same pickup that competes with the very robust Hilux in overseas markets...which explains the higher payload, higher towing capacity, and diesel engine option over the Tacoma.

I'd like to see them put a small block V8 under the hood, but I think they are pushing the diesel for buyers that need extra capacity.

The Tacoma people also seem to be very satisfied owners as well. I don't think you can really go wrong with it either.
This post was edited on 1/9/17 at 1:08 pm
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram