re: .

Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:37 am to
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:37 am to
quote:

I was under the impression the sheriff himself could do it, not the department.

There was an incident years ago with prisoner transport by the state police through iberville parish.

The sheriff met them with a veritable army of deputies and made them go around. Strictly to pull rank.

Doesn't mean it was legal. to my knowledge even the Sheriff himself has his authority superceded by the state. I KNOW his deputies authorty are superceded by the state.
Posted by Btrtigerfan
Disgruntled employee
Member since Dec 2007
21416 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:40 am to
quote:

That is not true. Are you sure you were a cop?

The Sheriff is the chief law officer of his parish. Only a coroner or constable can usurp his authority, and only then in extreme circumstances.

Sheriffs have been known to request that troopers not patrol his/her parish. It's not a wise thing, because troopers are better at accident reconstruction, and hazmat.
Posted by Glock17
Member since Oct 2007
22384 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:40 am to
(no message)
This post was edited on 3/13/14 at 2:42 pm
Posted by Btrtigerfan
Disgruntled employee
Member since Dec 2007
21416 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:49 am to
I hope there is a video of the incident that comes out. It would be awesome if they were arguing over who has the most authority. Then ZAP!-frick!-pants pissed.
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:50 am to
I do know that the sheriff himself is the senior LEO in the parish/county. he CAN tell the feds get out. IIRC US supreme court has backed it.

the state police CANNOT seize jurisdiction. I'm telling you prove it. a wiki article saying they have jurisdiction in the sate is hardly fact.

by your logic BRPD can take over any investigation LSUPOD has too. because BRPD has a 'bigger' jurisdiction
Posted by jbgleason
Bailed out of BTR to God's Country
Member since Mar 2012
18902 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:51 am to
And all of this Johnson measuring is exactly why a Trooper got tazed by a city officer.

In the indominatible words of our late brother Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:00 pm to
quote:

I do know that the sheriff himself is the senior LEO in the parish/county. he CAN tell the feds get out. IIRC US supreme court has backed it.

The feds but not the troopers.

quote:

the state police CANNOT seize jurisdiction. I'm telling you prove it. a wiki article saying they have jurisdiction in the sate is hardly fact.

I am sorry but they can. I don't give a flying fook what you believe so ignore what I have written if you wish as it means absolutely nothing to me. This is not something I learned from Wiki.

quote:

by your logic BRPD can take over any investigation LSUPOD has too. because BRPD has a 'bigger' jurisdiction

Absolutely untrue. The Jurisdiction map for the state works like this State Troopers>Sheriffs Dept>Municipal Police. This does not grant BRPD any additional authority.
Posted by RyseofRome
Member since Jul 2013
699 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:04 pm to
wait, sheriffs actually have power? thought sid gatreux was an old fart.
Posted by Who Me
Ascension
Member since Aug 2011
7090 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:07 pm to
Well

I guess this one took off like I expected. As usual we have lots of speculation and judgments being handed out with no one really knowing what happened.

Dan

I don't think I agree with you on the State police subject. I'm not sure where you are getting info that an off duty trooper can't be arrested by a city officer.

And the Sheriff is absolutely the top law enforcement figure in a parish not state police.
Posted by MiloDanglers
on a dock on a bay
Member since Apr 2012
6544 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:15 pm to
5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 1, 2, 4, 6
Posted by Mack
Member since Nov 2013
827 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:16 pm to
quote:

And the Sheriff is absolutely the top law enforcement figure in a parish not state police

Game Warden says hi

fyi.. A game warden is the only law enforcement officer that can arrest a Sheriff.
This post was edited on 3/13/14 at 12:17 pm
Posted by Btrtigerfan
Disgruntled employee
Member since Dec 2007
21416 posts
quote:

And the Sheriff is absolutely the top law enforcement figure in a parish not state police.

Let's also not forget that the Louisiana Sheriff's Association is the most powerful organization in the state. The Governor even knocks when he stops by. It's not a group to push around.
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
i hope i never run into you on a non black/white legal issue. you are incorrect.
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:17 pm to
quote:

I don't think I agree with you on the State police subject. I'm not sure where you are getting info that an off duty trooper can't be arrested by a city officer.

I said I am not certain about this but I do know his jurisdiction/authority exceeds the city officers.

quote:

Again, I am not sure about this. I do know that a troopers authority exceeds the authority of every deputy in the parish but perhaps does not exceed the authority of the sheriff himself. I don't believe that the sheriff's authority exceeds the authoruty of the state, no matter what you have seen on True Detective, but I could be wrong on this.
This post was edited on 3/13/14 at 12:27 pm
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:19 pm to
so really you aren't sure on anything other than a trooper has jurisdiction all over the state. you have no idea on the scene of a murder if BRPD, EBRSO or LSP would indeed have jurisdiction.

what about state fire marshall? they are commissioned through POST and have state arrest powers. who do they trump?

what about Attorney Generals Office? they are commissioned state wide.
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:25 pm to
quote:

so really you aren't sure on anything other than a trooper has jurisdiction all over the state. you have no idea on the scene of a murder if BRPD, EBRSO or LSP would indeed have jurisdiction.

I am sure that the state has jurisdiction on ANY scene anywhere in the state! Have you not read my posts. Perhaps, and I don't believe this to be true, THE SHERIFF himself has jurisdiction over the state. The state could walk into a murder in the city of BR and take over ANY invetigation they would like just as the Sheriff can walk in and take over any investigation he would like from the BRPD. That is how jurisdictions work in this state.

quote:

what about state fire marshall? they are commissioned through POST and have state arrest powers. who do they trump?

State sire marshal's, and the arson investigators they employ have the ability to make arrests ONLY for violations of RS 14 and RS 22 codes, in other words arson and insurance fraud codes.

quote:

what about Attorney Generals Office? they are commissioned state wide.

WTF???
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:29 pm to
quote:

State sire marshal's, and the arson investigators they employ have the ability to make arrests ONLY for violations of RS 14 and RS 22 codes, in other words arson and insurance fraud codes.

arent ALL state criminal codes in Louisiana title 14? from murder to theft of crawfish?

here LINK /
This post was edited on 3/13/14 at 12:30 pm
Posted by Negative Nomad
Hell
Member since Oct 2011
3173 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:30 pm to
I love how you morons keep arguin about juris-my-dick-tion without offering any evidence of any kind.

Is not; is too; is not; is too

Like bunch of 4 year olds.

In then end a Trooper got spanked by BRPD. Can't undo it and no one is going to undo it except a judge. If you think a trooper can't get arrested anywhere in this state because of this percieved authority, you're sorely mistaken. They can be arrested by city, sheriff or even a game warden. When it comes to them breaking the law, they trump no one and no other trooper will intervene in the investigation of that crime. That my friend cuts both ways. Just like a city officer or sherriff's deputy can be arrested within their jurisdiction by a trooper.

As much cop hate is on this board, It appears that everyone is on the trooper's side. And as much as you clowns hate tickets, that's 80% of why state police does.
Posted by Old Money
Member since Sep 2012
36352 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:30 pm to
Hell yea! Hope they start pulling eachother over and fighting like rival gangs.
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 12:31 pm to
i agree. and I'm not on the troopers side.
first pageprev pagePage 7 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram