re: .

Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:09 am to
Posted by TheDoc
doc is no more
Member since Dec 2005
99297 posts
exactly

this new rule came about after the chevron beat down of the white dude by the black dude. the black dude was given a summons and not taken to jail.

after a public outcry, the DA changed the rules.
Posted by Spirit of Dunson
Member since Mar 2007
23111 posts
quote:

Troopers have jurisdiction throughout the state as long as they identify themselves as a trooper. No officer should get involved in a situation that involves a friend or family, in my opinion, but there is no law that prevents it.

Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:10 am to
this is absolutely not true. I do not know of a Louisiana code of criminal procedure or revised statute that prohibit LSP from being arrested by any officer commissioned under the laws of this state/municipality. The swath of an officers jurisdiction does not trump anyone operating within their respective jurisdictions.
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:10 am to
DA doesn't set booking policy.
Posted by Spirit of Dunson
Member since Mar 2007
23111 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:11 am to
quote:

The swath of an officers jurisdiction does not trump anyone operating within their respective jurisdictions.
i agree.
I go into a bar, announce that I am a trooper, then beat down some dude without repercussions. Seems legit.
Posted by SuzukiGoat
Atchafalaya Basin
Member since Jan 2014
1086 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:11 am to
Which goes back to my original statement...brpd officer pulled his out and it wasnt long enough...but he soldiered on.
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:14 am to
quote:

this is absolutely not true. I do not know of a Louisiana code of criminal procedure or revised statute that prohibit LSP from being arrested by any officer commissioned under the laws of this state/municipality. The swath of an officers jurisdiction does not trump anyone operating within their respective jurisdictions.

Yes it does. The state can take over ANY investigation it chooses anywhere in the state at any time. This is generally not done if the local department is competent and does not request assistance but it can still be done. If the trooper identified himself as such and said he was taking over the scene there is nothing BRPD could do about it except file a complaint. I am not sure about the laws applying to the arrest of the trooper, as I stated above.
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:15 am to
quote:

i agree.
I go into a bar, announce that I am a trooper, then beat down some dude without repercussions. Seems legit.

Absolutely not. Troopers would be called out to make the arrest or the local PD would detain until the troopers arrived. I am assuming this is how it would be handled as, again, I have never seen such a thing in all my years.
Posted by HunhBruh
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2011
234 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:16 am to
news to me, can you cite the statute or code of criminal procedure sating such? i like being informed and knowing what I'm talking about for future discussions.
Posted by chesty
Flap City C.C.
Member since Oct 2012
12731 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:18 am to
Should have controlled his brother or minded his own damn business
Posted by brass2mouth
NOLA
Member since Jul 2007
19686 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:21 am to
quote:

It would cost the taxpayers more to lock him up.

So now all of a sudden BRPD is all about saving tax payers money?

Everybody knows what it is man, preferential treatment for a fellow cop, the whole reason this is even an incident is b/c BRPD didnt know he was a trooper until after they tazed him.

At that point is was a "oh hey my bad, but look I tazed you so I gotta do something."

You, I and everybody else in the thread knows it, you're just looking at it through blue glasses.

If it was myself, or any other Joe that "pushed a cop" and was then tazed we'd have gotta an knee to the kidney, our dog hunted down, and arrested.
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:22 am to
quote:

news to me, can you cite the statute or code of criminal procedure sating such? i like being informed and knowing what I'm talking about for future discussions.

Best I can do is Wiki as I don't have the time, or patience , to go through my books. If you are an officer this should have been taught to you in your academy. State has jurisdiction everywhere within the state. I, again, have no idea how the arrest of a trooper by a non trooper would or should be handled if he has taken control of a scene.

quote:

The Louisiana State Police is the state police department of Louisiana, which has jurisdiction anywhere in the state, headquartered in Baton Rouge

LINK
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:23 am to
quote:

Should have controlled his brother or minded his own damn business

I agree. This would have been the most sensible thing to do.
Posted by jbgleason
Bailed out of BTR to God's Country
Member since Mar 2012
18902 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:23 am to
If he had a brain in his head (and everyone here that knows him says he does) then he should have given his brother the beat down instead of going after the officer.

A simple "I am a Trooper, that is my brother, please stand back while I whip his arse" would have saved both of them an arrest. ManCode clearly states you never intercede in a brother on brother fight.
Posted by NittanyLionsRoar
Redneck Riviera
Member since Dec 2009
253 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:30 am to
This is if you go by BRPDs account, Lord knows they would never tell a lie.....
Posted by brass2mouth
NOLA
Member since Jul 2007
19686 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:30 am to
quote:

Yes it does. The state can take over ANY investigation it chooses anywhere in the state at any time. This is generally not done if the local department is competent and does not request assistance but it can still be done. If the trooper identified himself as such and said he was taking over the scene there is nothing BRPD could do about it except file a complaint. I am not sure about the laws applying to the arrest of the trooper, as I stated above.

The sherriff's dept can also "kick out" troopers from his/her respective parish if he so chooses. Troopers aren't above being arrested by a deputy or PO, and an off duty trooper can't take over an investigation in teh heat of the moment from a local.
Posted by DanTiger
Somewhere in Luziana
Member since Sep 2004
9480 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:31 am to
quote:

The sherriff's dept can also "kick out" troopers from his/her respective parish if he so chooses.

That is not true. Are you sure you were a cop?
Posted by Negative Nomad
Hell
Member since Oct 2011
3173 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:31 am to
(no message)
This post was edited on 5/3/14 at 11:59 am
Posted by TheDoc
doc is no more
Member since Dec 2005
99297 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:35 am to
quote:

DA doesn't set booking policy.

whoever does, it was changed after the chevron incident
Posted by SuzukiGoat
Atchafalaya Basin
Member since Jan 2014
1086 posts
Posted on 3/13/14 at 11:35 am to
quote:

quote:
The sherriff's dept can also "kick out" troopers from his/her respective parish if he so chooses.

That is not true. Are you sure you were a cop?

I was under the impression the sheriff himself could do it, not the department.

There was an incident years ago with prisoner transport by the state police through iberville parish.

The sheriff met them with a veritable army of deputies and made them go around. Strictly to pull rank.
first pageprev pagePage 6 of 9Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram