51698 posts
Posted on 1/2/16 at 5:32 pm to
Posted by udtiger
Over your left shoulder
Member since Nov 2006
99074 posts
Posted on 1/2/16 at 9:22 pm to
^^^^ This.

Everyone bitching about "Emo" Vader, but he's a great character.
Posted by iluvdatiger
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Jan 2004
42829 posts
Posted on 1/2/16 at 9:37 pm to
My only issue is it's hard to imagine Adam Driver as an evil empire leader after him being the dumbass boyfriend on Girls for so long.
Posted by udtiger
Over your left shoulder
Member since Nov 2006
99074 posts
Posted on 1/2/16 at 9:57 pm to
I have never seen the show so I am not contaminated.
Posted by iluvdatiger
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Jan 2004
42829 posts
Posted on 1/2/16 at 10:09 pm to
you are so lucky.
Posted by udtiger
Over your left shoulder
Member since Nov 2006
99074 posts
Posted on 1/2/16 at 10:10 pm to
This post was edited on 1/2/16 at 10:12 pm
Posted by Scoob
Near Exxon
Member since Jun 2009
20443 posts
Posted on 1/3/16 at 2:37 am to
This movie worked for me. Addressing some of the concerns:
I've never seen the new characters in anything else (someone mentioned Adam Driver in Girls, I have never seen it); so they were entirely new to me. I can appreciate what they are creating in the new Dark Helmet villain, although it isn't what I would have expected. However, really, since I never expected ANYTHING for so long, it's ok. I will say this (at the risk of spoiling anything, and it's not really a spoiler): the character in question is a much more convincing one, than what we got in the prequels. You get a lot more of the sense of conflict and transition, something we missed before.

Someone mentioned it being a B movie with some bad acting at times. I'd say the quality of the acting surpassed the originals at times, and overall it did a great job of belonging in the same world as those.

Someone else commented that it seemed like high-quality fan fiction; well, that's a danger in any franchise. This at least was the authorized, official version, with the actual characters portrayed by the same actors. We don't have something like Michael Fassbender playing Han Solo and Elijah Woods doing a wide-eyed Luke in a remake, we have some older, tired out guys out there, 30 years after they killed the Emperor.
Posted by GoCrazyAuburn
Member since Feb 2010
34905 posts
Posted on 1/3/16 at 2:46 am to

What a load of crock
Posted by Billy Mays
Member since Jan 2009
25288 posts
Posted on 1/3/16 at 7:18 pm to
Ppl are unfairly comparing him to Vader. Vader was an all-timer.

I actually like Kylo bc he's one of the few characters with some depth and conflict on the movie. Obviously I hope we can go a bit deeper with some of the players in the next movie.
Posted by OMLandshark
Member since Apr 2009
108914 posts
Posted on 1/3/16 at 7:23 pm to
quote:

I actually like Kylo bc he's one of the few characters with some depth and conflict on the movie. Obviously I hope we can go a bit deeper with some of the players in the next movie.

On top of that, Vader is two dimensional in the original film. He only gets depth in Empire. They attempt to give Kylo depth in the first one here, and I think it's very successful. Who knows how far they'll take the character now.
Posted by Bmath
LA
Member since Aug 2010
18681 posts
Posted on 1/4/16 at 9:10 pm to
quote:

My only issue is it's hard to imagine Adam Driver as an evil empire leader after him being the dumbass boyfriend on Girls for so l

That was my initial reaction when it was announced that he was cast as they main villain. He plays a very goofy character in Girls, but his role gets fairly deep as the show progresses. When I finished the last season I saw enough of his acting range to understand why he was chosen.
Posted by LSUfan0420
Lake Chuck
Member since Jan 2007
1274 posts
Posted on 1/13/16 at 9:29 am to
I have a legitimate question regarding the Star Wars Universe...

After Attack of the Clones, I thought that the Imperial Army were all clone soldiers with bounty hunter Jango Fett serving as their genetic template...

Now that The Force Awakens has come and we are presented with a non-clone Finn as a storm trooper, my question is when did they start accepting applications and hiring non-clone personnel ?

It seems that if they are accepting everyday folk to serve in the Imperial Army that there would be more of the soldiers that had a tendency to grow a conscience and not want to murder innocent people and burn villages on the orders of a dark lord.

When did this happen and what did I miss ??
Posted by Bmath
LA
Member since Aug 2010
18681 posts
Posted on 1/13/16 at 10:37 am to
My understanding is that the Empire during the OT no longer had a clone based military. They don't exactly cover this in the movies though. Also, the First Order may not exactly have had a volunteer army either.
Posted by Nodust
Member since Aug 2010
22635 posts
Posted on 1/13/16 at 10:11 pm to
Just got out of our third watch. Can't wait for It to be on Amazon so I can watch a few scenes over.
Posted by theGarnetWay
Washington, D.C.
Member since Mar 2010
25877 posts
Posted on 1/21/16 at 4:21 pm to
quote:

Well to be fair, it was pretty explicit that he was trying to be Vader.

With that said, that's kind of what I liked about him and any weakness you want to throw at him (being emo, light saber fighting). He wasn't supposed to be as good as Vader, he was supposed to be a wild imitation. I dug it.
Posted by ITS A TRAP
Member since Nov 2011
45 posts
Posted on 1/22/16 at 12:39 pm to
Kylo's thing is he thinks he's all powerful because he doesn't really come in conflict with other force users. Truth is that even someone mildly force sensitive is going to seem like a super hero when compared to someone that's not. He does a lot of showboating to seem all powerful and strike fear into his subordinates and enemies. It's like person who is average at basketball going to play a pick up game in a little fishing village in India against people who have never even heard of the sport. Just because you can dribble between your legs and do a reverse layup you are going to look like a super star to them when the truth is if you tried pull those moves off against someone who is actually good, you would get completely embarrassed.

Stopping the blaster bolt is just showboating. It's almost a waste of force concentration when you could really just dodge it, block it, or absorb it into your hand like Vader does in Empire Stikes Back. As for the mind reading thing, Vader reads Luke's mind in Return of the Jedi to discover Leia is his sister and all he had to do was be in the same room while Luke was thinking about it. Kylo has to strap someone into a chair, stick his hand out and concentrate all of his will in order to do it.

In my opinion Kylo is just a average force user, he is just happens to be the only living person we know of (other than Luke and Snoke) that seem to be both force sensitive and received some kind of training.
Posted by Kujo
225-911-5736
Member since Dec 2015
6015 posts
Posted on 1/23/16 at 12:17 am to
time to be done with spoiler free
Posted by forksup
Member since Dec 2013
8817 posts
Posted on 1/24/16 at 8:39 am to
Just watched the movie yesterday in 3D, and frankly, I really liked it. The new characters seem like they'll be fun. I kind of got attached to every single one except that silver storm trooper (what happened to her anyways? Really, trash compactor?). Unlike the prequels where everyone just seemed... There. It was a rehash, BUT there were enough new elements to leave me wanting more. Excited!
Posted by Dam Guide
Member since Sep 2005
15532 posts
Posted on 1/25/16 at 9:18 am to
quote:

My only issue is it's hard to imagine Adam Driver as an evil empire leader after him being the dumbass boyfriend on Girls for so long.

Never seen girls and it's still hard to put him as a good character. He's a school shooter villain. The Adam Lanza of the Star Wars world. Terrible, terrible character. He's a joke and it shows in the SNL Undercover Boss sketch.
Posted by Byron Bojangles III
Member since Nov 2012
51698 posts
Posted on 1/28/16 at 12:07 pm to
quote:

Never seen girls and it's still hard to put him as a good character. He's a school shooter villain. The Adam Lanza of the Star Wars world. Terrible, terrible character. He's a joke and it shows in the SNL Undercover Boss sketch.

People like you will never be satisfied
first pageprev pagePage 20 of 21Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram