Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:14 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
quote:

everyone calling him a racist

that accusation was being thrown around quite a bit when the dress code policy was enforced. he had the cache to do it though because the brawl in Detroit was so appalling to people everywhere
Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
quote:

The superstars of todays NBA are, for the most part, good people/role models
Is that just good luck? Was it a cultural change outside the NBA?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:15 pm to
even ron artest recreated himself as the wacky guy instead of the animal that was beating the shite out of some guy who just happened to be sitting in the wrong spot
Posted by Walking the Earth
Member since Feb 2013
17260 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:15 pm to
quote:

Well, they did. I don't know if there's a simple answer, but Stern somehow pulled it off without everyone calling him a racist. He's a smart man

They tried a little bit when he implemented the dress code but he didn't care.

Stern's gift was not feeling the need to explain himself or respond to every little bit of noise when he pushed something through.
Posted by Linkovich
crater lake
Member since Feb 2007
9541 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:16 pm to
quote:

think about the late 90s/00s. tons of legit thug POS candidates acting as the face of the NBA

I also think the NBA's stance on marijuana versus the NFLs has helped it. NBA isn't suspending players for it's usage and doesn't use CBA arguments as a crutch while allowing wife beaters to walk on.

ETA: and it also has a much smaller number of players which makes it easier to educate about the pitfalls of stardom and keep a tighter leash on things.
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 1:18 pm
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6149 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:16 pm to
quote:

The superstars of todays NBA are, for the most part, good people/role models

There were some good role model superstars 20 years ago, just not as high a percent of them that there are today.
Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:18 pm to
Right. Im asking why. Today, the best basketball players also seem to be decent people

In the past this was not the case.

Why?
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 1:18 pm
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47548 posts
can't forget some of the foreign players that have made the league look a little "whiter"...

also the nature of the sport... a violent sport naturally encourages violent people at the top of it
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 1:20 pm
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
quote:

respond to every little bit of noise when he pushed something through.

I feel like at times, this is the NFL's problem. the concussion shite has died down, no one is talking about it, and it's not because they railroaded the saints...people move on. Just like I think Synder could just shut up and survive the redskins "controversy" regardless of how people feel about it, surely they don't think this is going to stay a big topic for much longer

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:19 pm to
quote:

also think the NBA's stance on marijuana versus the NFLs has helped it

bingo, why create the perception your players are trash people when there is no need. No one cares if players are toking up, nor do they care if the NFL athletes are juicing.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422311 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:20 pm to
quote:

but I think players are more savvy in marketing themselves.

well yeah, but they're also good guys. lebron, durant, wade, love, etc are just not trash

that whole post-jordan decline was basically a generation of trash and "next jordans"

JR Smith would not have been a pariah in the late 90s
Posted by burdman
Louisiana
Member since Aug 2007
20685 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:22 pm to
quote:

How did the NBA turn around the perception their league is full of TPOS

When it became cool for star players to dress like this...

Posted by SlowFlowPro
Member since Jan 2004
422311 posts
quote:

ETA: and it also has a much smaller number of players which makes it easier to educate about the pitfalls of stardom and keep a tighter leash on things.

on the flip side, they make a frick ton more money
Posted by Linkovich
crater lake
Member since Feb 2007
9541 posts
quote:

nor do they care if the NFL athletes are juicing.

you would have to be a mental midget to think guy's aren't using more time than not. I actually get offended more by the inept policing and punishment for it then if they just ignored it.

And back on point. I think Adam Silver will run circles around Goodell.
Posted by Them
People's Republic of Bozeman
Member since Nov 2008
11128 posts
Dress code
NBA Cares
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47548 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:23 pm to
quote:

I feel like at times, this is the NFL's problem. the concussion shite has died down, no one is talking about it, and it's not because they railroaded the saints...people move on. Just like I think Synder could just shut up and survive the redskins "controversy" regardless of how people feel about it, surely they don't think this is going to stay a big topic for much longer
the NFL's problems may seem like they've died down, but people are still going to get concussions. "Redskins" won't stop being controversial as long as someone feels offended by it.

the NBA has actually dealt with their problems
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Member since Jan 2004
422311 posts
quote:

When it became cool for star players to dress like this...

true

nerd chique in the urban/black culture has helped NBA stars not feel the need to be hood

we can thank kanye

Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
So it was a culture change? The millenials are killing urban black thuggery? If so, I take back everything negative I've ever said about millenials.
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 1:25 pm
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6149 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:25 pm to
Maybe more superstars realized that being a good role model is more profitable than being a tPOS.
Posted by Linkovich
crater lake
Member since Feb 2007
9541 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:25 pm to
quote:

on the flip side, they make a frick ton more money

Oh yeah, I would much rather my kid be an NBA star.

But having the smaller numbers also makes it easier for the team and NBA prop up players too. I can handle twelve guys much easier than 53. PR with volunteering, body guards, PR training, and etc becomes much easier. I do think you are also correct in that their are some really high quality guys in the league right now too.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram