nerd chique
is HUGE in the DC AA community

it's like, whoever is the nerdiest looking is the most hood
Posted by barry
Location, Location, Location
Member since Aug 2006
50340 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:26 pm to
These star players are manufactured from AAU factories, cuts down on the tomfoolery
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 1:27 pm
Posted by chalmetteowl
Chalmette
Member since Jan 2008
47548 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:28 pm to
quote:

nerd chique in the urban/black culture has helped NBA stars not feel the need to be hood

it's a question of the chicken or the egg... did fashion create sharply dressed NBA players or did sharply dressed NBA players create the fashion?
Posted by BIGDAB
Go for the Jugular
Member since Jun 2011
7468 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:29 pm to
quote:

Right. Im asking why. Today, the best basketball players also seem to be decent people

In the past this was not the case.

Why?

It's all in the music

HIP HOP was thugged out in the late 90's early 00's.
The tides have turned and now Drake and Kanye types are on top. Couple that with social media and the idea of being a walking "business" and you have players who are more aware of their image.

short answer

Posted by Feral
Member since Mar 2012
12402 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:29 pm to
quote:

likeable superstars emerged

This. Jordan was an a-hole and guys like Barkley, Malone and Ewing were pretty overt about not wanting to be role models. Reggie Miller was also a GOAT troll.

The superstars of today try harder to be likeable because of the advent of social media and brand positioning. Guys like LeBron and Durant aren't just players, they're brands now.

ETA -- see post above mine regarding players being more image-conscious
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 1:31 pm
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422311 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:31 pm to
quote:

it's a question of the chicken or the egg... did fashion create sharply dressed NBA players or did sharply dressed NBA players create the fashion?

oh no NBA guys were doing it a bit after rappers like kanye made it acceptable

i mean i saw ratchet as dudes dressed up like urkel in LAKE CHARLES years before durant/russ were doing it
Posted by MrPappagiorgio
Prairieville
Member since Jan 2009
41122 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:32 pm to
quote:

we can thank kanye

and Jay-Z... 2 of the biggest names in that culture made it cool to wear a suit

I also think theres some luck involved, regarding Lebron. The biggest name in sports has an image of being a wholesome family man, who only wants to do right by his family and community... Thats attached to the NBA
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:33 pm to
quote:

frick ton more money

yeah on the brand strength that Tagliabue and the owners created.

The popularity created from the late 90s to 2006 just hasn't lost it's momentum...goodell reminds me of someone just slamming on the brakes to get a vehicle to slow down and it won't

but eventually it will.

Goodell has
made unpopular rule changes - unlike the new rules post 2003 these aren't popular among the fans no do they add to the quality of play. Frankly, fans don't give a shite about concussions. Telling people football is safer means it was too dangerous. derp. And Goodell's expertise is PR.

created a bad public image for the players
- no one really cared or even knew about this players dui, this players assault charge. Goodell wanting to make a mark, started the player conduct enforcement to the detriment of public perception. Just let the law or team handle it.
created bad publicity for the NFL - the way they handled bountygate would be exhibit a. You didn't need to deflect attention. Once the season started no one would care, but he made it so people were still talking about it...and some of the stuff he used to smear the saints, "kill the head" audio, just made defense feel even more watered down than it already was...violence is what the NFL makes money on, ignore the bad offseason pub, and it goes away. People know what they pay for

just an awful commissioner and he's watering it down already. Not only am I not even paying a tiny bit of attention in the offseason, I'm watching less on sundays too...there were moments during the saints game when I really wasn't that glued, which is weird for me

Posted by BIGDAB
Go for the Jugular
Member since Jun 2011
7468 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:37 pm to

quote:

and Jay-Z... 2 of the biggest names in that culture made it cool to wear a suit too

FIFY

Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:37 pm to
Stern's MO was almost always long-term plans, ignoring criticism, furthering the brand.

Gooddell is the antithesis. He's reactionary, sensitive to criticism, quick fixes.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:39 pm to
quote:

quick fixes.

he's a tire patcher for sure when it comes to public relations...when it is insulting to our intelligence, such as their release today...it's kind of a "frick you" to their even remotely intelligent fans.
Posted by miamitiger
Member since Aug 2011
2010 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:51 pm to
The talk about Kayne and Jay Z making suits cool is point on.

I would add the generation of Gantgsta Rap has come and gone. This generation of stars did not grow up listening to Tupac and Biggie.
Posted by Linkovich
crater lake
Member since Feb 2007
9541 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:53 pm to
quote:

he's a tire patcher for sure when it comes to public relations...when it is insulting to our intelligence, such as their release today...it's kind of a "frick you" to their even remotely intelligent fans.

I've yet to understand how anyone in the NFL office continues to allow these cluster fricks. Jerry Jones couldn't step on his dick this much as the commish. Weird pre-BJ photos with hookers, sure, but none where he is actually stepping on his crank.
Posted by RedRifle
Austin/NO
Member since Dec 2013
8328 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:57 pm to
Couple of reasons:

1) I think that the NFL always had more tpos but the NBA was the one with the image problem. Remember Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth, LT etc? NBA players are more likely to be seen on TV and how they dressed was really thuggish. The dress code really cleaned all that up. That was a huge thing. Look at how many NFL players have dreds and braids. There is only 1 NBAer that has braids, K. Leonard and he's considered the prototype Spurs player. Go figure.

2) NBA players are almost like Euro soccer players. They get plucked up at 14 and sent to those AAU and prep schools and they're told that they are a "brand" and it's individualized.

3) I think the type of person that becomes an NBA player is less of a "risk taker" than an NFL player. Jalen Rose talks about how basketball players are afraid to take football hits thats why they played basketball in highschool. i.e. not as crazy.

4) The money is astronomical. Guys like Pekovic and Hayward are making $12-15m a year. Peyton Manning is the most famous NFL athlete and he isn't even sniffing the shoe deal that Durant just got ($265m) from Nike. That money alone makes guys behave. Lance Stephenson just lost about $20m in guaranteed money for blowing in LBJ's ear.

5) Culture. The culture of the sport is just more urban and hipster. That's why you have 7 footers dressed like this:

VS

Last year Rondo had an internship with GQ magazine.
These NBA guys are going crazy of NYC fashion week.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 1:57 pm to
I think the owners are under the delusion that goodell has helped guide them to record revenue...I'm not sure they appreciate Tagliabue's foresight and contributions. So long as the money is rolling in, they'll let him act as he see fits in the PR department

he has pissed off/fricked over all of these owners

kraft
Snyder
jjones
benson
irsay

spy gate, they had to react to a story, ok. I get it. Wrong call, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

the cap shite with the redskins and cowboys was shocking...he must have some serious cache with them...and they must be seriously out of touch with their fanbase. I don't think the owners, aside from revenue sharing and CBA agreements are as involved as people think.
Posted by ShamelessPel
Metairie
Member since Apr 2013
12720 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 2:20 pm to
quote:

How did the NBA turn around the perception their league is full of TPOS

I'm not saying you are saying this, but I think it surpasses perception at this point. Having met a good bit of the NOLA players, I can reasonably say almost all of them have been kind, and the biggest bags have been the coaches.

Stern actually put in a concerted effort to address this problem. It's really that simple. Unlike the NFL, he didn't act like he was too big to fail.

I think policing 1/5 the amount of people is a massive help to the NBA as well. It's a different style of game. You are taught to bring out the animal in you on Sundays. You teach people to be violent and wonder "WTF" when it spills over into the real world.

Posted by rockchlkjayhku11
Cincinnati, OH
Member since Aug 2006
36449 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 2:24 pm to
quote:

we can thank kanye

and our **** deezle?

ETA: i like you as a human if you understand that
This post was edited on 9/8/14 at 2:24 pm
Posted by jj06
atlanta..God’s city
Member since Jul 2013
2295 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 4:32 pm to
so having dreads = tpos??
Posted by saintsfan22
baton rouge
Member since May 2006
71578 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 4:36 pm to
quote:

so having dreads = tpos??

No but those two guys will obviously be perceived differently if you just look at them. NBA players are way more concerned with their brand something only 30-40 football players have to worry about.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/8/14 at 4:50 pm to
it's funny how dreads were not ghetto at all, actually kind of a surf/skate thing for American black people sporting them

now they're ghetto as shite

at least that's how I perceive it
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram