Started By
re: .

Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:29 am to
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:29 am to
A shite ton. Depends on if you want a good trainer or not. I think day rates can average from $50-$100+ for training. Plus you have to pay to break them. Best to start out by dipping your toe into the claiming ranks. Claim a cheap one, race it's few times, hopefully win and get it claimed back from you. Claiming races are races where all the horses are for sale.

Vet bills can be quite high too.

That is true of all horses, though. My pleasure/sometimes show horse is even expensive. Needs new shows this week at $125. Race horses get new shoes every 4 weeks. There are expenses everywhere.

Also, when breeding, you never know what you've got. If my colt turns out to be slow he'll just come back home and find a new career.
This post was edited on 6/8/14 at 9:32 am
Posted by Patrick_Bateman
Member since Jan 2012
17823 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:35 am to
Coburn is wrong. The Belmont is a take-all-comers race. Always has been. If you can't beat the field - the whole field, not just the select few horses who raced all three legs of the Triple Crown - then you don't deserve to be a Triple Crown champion. Simple as that. That's the way it's always been. It's why winning the Triple Crown is so special - only a superstar horse can do it. If you start diluting down the Belmont field with this and that requirement, you start diluting down the prestige of the Triple Crown.

Chrome is a good horse, but he isn't an all-time great horse. He's just the latest in a long line of horses good enough to win the first two legs but not the third. Coburn and butthurt fans need to accept that.
Posted by TinCupTiger
In The Fairway
Member since May 2014
573 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:45 am to
Haven't weighed in on this yet so I'll offer my opinion. Initially, I sided with this guy, though I didn't care for the way he went about it. But the more I thought about it - and mind you I'm no horse racing aficionado - the more I feel like...

quote:

There have been a number of triple crown winners who had to beat fresh horses

Changing the format would be a colossal mistake. Doing so would lessen the significance of the TC winner not to mention how completely unfair it would be to past winners of the crown.

I think it's just another example of the entitlement mentality that exists in the world today. Someone mention participation medal earlier and I think that hits the nail on the head. And what sense of accomplishment would an owner have if the format were changed? If he were truly honest with himself, that answer would be none.
Posted by Overbrook
Member since May 2013
6083 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 10:36 am to
quote:

The best ever was Secretariat vs. Sham. In any other year Sham would likely have gone into the Belmont as a truly great winner of the first two legs and likely winner of the Triple Crown. But Secretariat was truly a very, very, VERY special horse.

Chrome's not the first in the last 30 years to be hit by a Belmont ringer. But that's just the way it is...most Belmont's are won with those horses.
I think Sham is one of those who would have won the first 2 and lost the Belmont - just dog tired.
Run Dusty Run ran 2nd to Seattle Slew in the Derby and Belmont and 3rd in the Preakness...Nobody remembers him and he wasn't even the best Fair Grounds 3 year old that year (Clev Er Tell won the La Derby and then got hurt).
Posted by sms151t
Polos, Porsches, Ponies..PROBATION
Member since Aug 2009
139838 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 10:39 am to
This man has went off again today, dod he really say its like playing kids in wheelchairs in hoops?

He just cost himself some major chances, again. Yesterday he was allowed. Today he is not.

The trainer is handling this with class though.
This post was edited on 6/8/14 at 10:40 am
Posted by CtotheVrzrbck
WeWaCo
Member since Dec 2007
37538 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 10:54 am to
quote:

Smarty Jones was far and away the best 3 year old in 04, but the grind is too much when there are fresh horses running in the Belmont.

Dude they're racing 3 times in 36 days. They're top of the game race horses, part of the challenge is beating the fields in all 3 races in a little more than a month, with the distances increasing in each race.

If want a triple crown winner then breed horses with abnormally large hearts. Secretariat and Sham both had hearts more than 2x the size of normal horse hearts. Gotta pump that blood and oxygen faster and faster.
Posted by stlslick
St.Louis,Mo
Member since Nov 2012
14054 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 10:57 am to
The guy is a redneck, why would be surprised by anything he does.
Posted by Strannix
District 11
Member since Dec 2012
48849 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 10:57 am to
quote:

And he's right

Sittin out the first two legs is bullshite

you're an idiot
Posted by Ghazi
Dallas Mavs 2011 NBA Champions
Member since Dec 2007
16121 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:16 am to
This guy was a total white trash loser, i could see a lot of TD members liking his style
Posted by NorthshoreTiger76
Pelicans, Saints, & LSU Fan
Member since May 2009
80160 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:18 am to
He is a sore loser
Posted by Ghazi
Dallas Mavs 2011 NBA Champions
Member since Dec 2007
16121 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:21 am to
Why would he have a problem with the rules when theyve been in place for so fn long?
Posted by NorthshoreTiger76
Pelicans, Saints, & LSU Fan
Member since May 2009
80160 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:31 am to
Agree it's been this way for years
Posted by COTiger
Colorado
Member since Dec 2007
16842 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:43 am to
Thanks to Aspercel and all the other "horse people" for helping me make some sense out of this. I learned a lot.
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:55 am to

I got all kinds of mad last night
Posted by COTiger
Colorado
Member since Dec 2007
16842 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 11:58 am to
I read the posts this AM. I could tell.
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 5Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram