re: .

Posted on 6/7/14 at 9:26 pm to
Posted by southernelite
Dallas
Member since Sep 2009
53151 posts
Posted on 6/7/14 at 9:26 pm to
quote:

Secretariat ran the Belmont Stakes well over FOUR SECONDS faster than California Chrome, and "Big Red" had not only won both previous races, he was still accelerating (!) at the end, winning by 31 (!) lengths. California Chrome didn't lose because of unfair rules or fresh horses from competitors: he lost because he just wasn't as great as the hype made him out to be. Still a mighty fine horse, though!

Well said. I didn't see him winning today. The Belmont is just a different type of race. It's going to take a hell of a dynamic horse to win the TC. There is a reason its set up the way it is.

And then there is the money issue, that's the main reason it'll never happen.

Guy was mad. Its not unfair, that's just nature of the beast.
Posted by DrSteveBrule
Baton Rouge
Member since Sep 2009
12006 posts
Posted on 6/7/14 at 9:27 pm to
quote:

Shouldn't change it.

I agree.

We would just end up with TC winners being too common.
Posted by southernelite
Dallas
Member since Sep 2009
53151 posts
Posted on 6/7/14 at 9:27 pm to
quote:

Secretariat ran the Belmont Stakes well over FOUR SECONDS faster than California Chrome, and "Big Red" had not only won both previous races, he was still accelerating (!) at the end, winning by 31 (!) lengths. California Chrome didn't lose because of unfair rules or fresh horses from competitors: he lost because he just wasn't as great as the hype made him out to be. Still a mighty fine horse, though!

Well said. I didn't see him winning today. The Belmont is just a different type of race. It's going to take a hell of a dynamic horse to win the TC. There is a reason its set up the way it is.

And then there is the money issue, that's the main reason it'll never happen.

Guy was mad. Its not unfair, that's just nature of the beast.
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/7/14 at 9:28 pm to
And tonalist, who, if I remember correctly, used to be trained by pletcher before the switch to clement, couldn't have run in the derby anyway. Lung infection knocked him out of his chance for points. He would have been my bet in the wood had he made it.

Posted by Kcrad
Diamondhead
Member since Nov 2010
54823 posts
Posted on 6/7/14 at 9:41 pm to
Well there you go.
Posted by ApexTiger
cary nc
Member since Oct 2003
53769 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 6:29 am to
quote:

He lost, and wasn't close.

It was the length of one horse over a 1.5 miles

I'd say that was close even though it was 5th
Posted by ForeLSU
The Corner of Sanity and Madness
Member since Sep 2003
41525 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 7:29 am to
quote:

Still does not made point less valid.

it had no validity to begin with...
Posted by sicboy
Because Awesome
Member since Nov 2010
77566 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 7:48 am to
I like how this thread started off with the know-nothing crowd all up in arms about it being "unfair", but got quieted rather quickly.
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:22 am to
With the gma appearance and the media eating it up this whole thing will only keep growing
Posted by mattloc
Alabama
Member since Sep 2012
4304 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:27 am to
I raise and sometimes race, so I know a bit about the business. Unfortunately the rules are skewed against anyone not based in Kentucky. Although I take my mares to Kentucky to be bred and race there, they are only eligible for about 65% of the purse available to a Kentucky born horse. I was glad to see Coburn call out the Kentuckians helping to kill off the sport. It is a dying sport that desperately needs a TC winner to revive interest. If horse racing only has a "great horse" every 40 years or so, I dont see the general public sticking around for it.
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:37 am to
Then you should be running in a better state bred program.

And what if we have a triple crown* every other year? The public will get bored and also not stick around.
This post was edited on 6/8/14 at 8:38 am
Posted by Smalls
Southern California
Member since Jul 2009
10245 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:42 am to
quote:

Aspercel

You should post a "Horse Racing 101" beginners thread. Lay out some basic information and then a q&a. It's very interesting. I have multiple entry level questions.
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:46 am to
This whole thing is so frustrating to me ask away. I don't know everything, but
I am married to a trainer so I know a good bit.

I will quote a poster from the other Steve coburn is an arse thread:
quote:

The sad thing is that his complaints will resonate with many bozos who know nothing about horse racing, and who's outlook on life is if something is difficult to achieve, just change the rules to make it easier. Someone should slap a big ole "Participation" ribbon on his fat arse (the owner, not the horse)
Posted by mattloc
Alabama
Member since Sep 2012
4304 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:54 am to
Thats exactly why horse racing is dying, its all about the big farms making money. Either pay the exorbitant prices to stable your mare in Ky to foal, or birth the same horse out in your home state and not be eligible for the money.
Posted by Smalls
Southern California
Member since Jul 2009
10245 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 8:55 am to
quote:

ask away

Alright!

A horse has to have a certain bloodline to race? What if a regular old colt somewhere in a field is a beast and could potentially shatter the record books, he couldn't be trained and entered into racing?

I told you, basic stuff.
This post was edited on 6/8/14 at 8:56 am
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:00 am to
I'm still not understanding why you have to run in ky. Many states have much better incentive programs. Do you have much success?

And I don't understand where you get that I'm pro big farm? I've got one yearling, I'm as small time as it gets. None of that has anything to do with me thinking the jackass owner is an idiot because he's a sore loser.
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:01 am to
Has to be a registered thoroughbred.
Posted by mattloc
Alabama
Member since Sep 2012
4304 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:12 am to
When you have breeding programs that are intended to produce and develop a horse for one 1.5 mile race, I doubt most TC winners faced that, but whatever, lets just keep doing what were doing and watch horse racing dissappear
Posted by Aspercel
Member since Jan 2009
105739 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:17 am to
Are you saying tonalist was bred just for the Belmont? Because tapit doesn't scream 12f to me.

Commissioner was the only horse in there that looked to be bred for the 1 1/2 on dirt.

While on the subject of him, should ap Indy have not been allowed to run in the Belmont? He had to scratch the derby that morning.

Usually these days, the Belmont is almost an afterthought. As said so well yesterday on NBC of Palice malice, yes he won the Belmont, but the met mile win would be worth more as a stallion prospect. People don't breed just to win that one race.
This post was edited on 6/8/14 at 9:20 am
Posted by Smalls
Southern California
Member since Jul 2009
10245 posts
Posted on 6/8/14 at 9:24 am to
If a novice wanted to get into the business as an owner, and started with just one foal, what's the least amount of money one could expect in expenses? I'm assuming breeding fees, boarding, vet, trainer?

In Louisiana...
This post was edited on 6/8/14 at 9:26 am
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram