1. Vine Street Pub (as Kevin mentioned). Great beer, great food. They are hippies though so you have to pay with cash. If they have Hop Vivant on tap when he will be in it's a must try, it rivals all the top DIPAs easily, but it is brewed randomly.
2. Freshcraft mt favorite beer bar/restaurant in town. They always have great tap lists with beers that aren't available anywhere else. LINK
3. Falling Rock Tap House easily the most famous beer bar in town, they have the most non-BMC taps in town by far. If Pliny is in town they will have it on tap. They also bring out random awesome kegs all the time. Food is mediocre.
4. Rackhouse Pub Great food with 20-40 taps of Colorado beer. LINK /
5. Cheeky Monk If he's into Belgians this is a must stop. Food is ok, unrivaled belgian selection.
1. The Mayor of old Town Maybe the greatest beer bar I've ever been to. Unreal taplist. LINK
2. Choice City Butcher & Wine Good food with a good taplist.
That's probably the "best of" list of pubs and bars.
As for local beers not available outside of the immediate area that can be found without too much trouble at the liquor stores. I'd recommend anything from Dry Dock, particularly their Double IPA. Crooked Stave is extremely limited but make tremendous sours and bretts. Funkwerks won the GABF gold ans specialize in saisons and all are very good.Elevation and River North are both bottling now and are solid though both lean a little more Belgian. The Quad from Elevation is great, and any of the barrel aged brews from River North are good. Both are a little pricey. Renegade Ryteous Rye is a really good Rye IPA. Dad & Dudes Dank IPA is solid, though it is a bitter hop bomb.
Assuming he's from Texas? If so any of the following are available here that aren't there:
I could make recommendations from that list, too. There are a ton of awesome beers in there.
If he wants recommendations for liquor stores where he could find just about all of these let me know where he will be staying.
Hopefully that's helpful?
How to pack to bring beer home
Should I hit denver beer co. to try the graham cracker porter? !
Need more ideas people!!!