Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:14 pm to
Posted by Iosh
Bureau of Interstellar Immigration
Member since Dec 2012
18941 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:14 pm to
quote:

You might as well have just posted the slate article
Slate? Please, my standards aren't that low.

I cribbed a bunch of pubmed links from the cites page of Wikipedia.
This post was edited on 9/3/14 at 11:15 pm
Posted by the808bass
The Lou
Member since Oct 2012
111508 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:15 pm to
quote:

I know I really really don't want to suck a dick. I can't imagine wanting to unless the desire was inherently there. Why would a straight man make a choice to suck a dick? It's preposterous.

This just isn't a good argument. People do all sorts of irrational behavior. Pointing out a behavior and ascribing rationality or coherence to it on a prima facie basis isn't a good argument for anything.
Posted by Jake88
Member since Apr 2005
68139 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:15 pm to
So, what is it about jail that previously straight men can get aroused and engage in homosexual acts? Either latent homosexuals commit an inordinate amount of crime or people are choosing to behave that way.
This post was edited on 9/3/14 at 11:15 pm
Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:19 pm to
Those studies just show that it's really complicated, and somewhat influenced by a few environmental, genetic, and natal factors. No clue if they're peer-reviewed. Also in the 90s a few activist scientists were found to have falsified data further obfuscating things. There's never going to be a definitive answer.

I will say the concept of "it's simple genetics, x% of people have always been gay throughout history and they've just all been in the closet until recently" is absolutely absurd. Human behavior and aesthetics is way more dynamic than that.
This post was edited on 9/3/14 at 11:21 pm
Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
Member since Oct 2006
39575 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:20 pm to
I don't why anyone gives a shite besides scientists and those that are curious about gaining knowledge.
This post was edited on 9/3/14 at 11:22 pm
Posted by Zed
Member since Feb 2010
8315 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:22 pm to
quote:

Either latent homosexuals commit an inordinate amount of crime or people are choosing to behave that way.
I've always read that was more of a violence thing in prison. There are other less disgusting ways of hurting someone though, so I don't know.
Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:23 pm to
quote:

I don't why anyone gives a shite besides scientists
Religion. Prejudice. Politics. Repulsion. Fear of the unknown. It was totally unheard of in mainstream society, not that long ago.
Posted by Mattwells90
Lafayette
Member since Jan 2013
3562 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:24 pm to
I'm sure the dominance factor has something to do with it.
Posted by the808bass
The Lou
Member since Oct 2012
111508 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:27 pm to
quote:

I'm sure the dominance factor has something to do with it.

So it has a complex dynamic in prison largely disconnected from normal sexual impulses, but when it's not in prison it's different. Sounds legit.
Posted by Tigah in the ATL
Atlanta
Member since Feb 2005
27539 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:32 pm to
quote:

I don't believe it is
well surely that must be correct then. Your belief trumps all.
Posted by Zed
Member since Feb 2010
8315 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:32 pm to
quote:

So it has a complex dynamic in prison largely disconnected from normal sexual impulses, but when it's not in prison it's different. Sounds legit.
In the total absence of pussy one may resort to other holes, but that's a pretty extreme scenario, and I don't think that constitutes a change in sexual orientation. If they're still attracted to women they're in fact acting against their nature, and only out of necessity.
Posted by the808bass
The Lou
Member since Oct 2012
111508 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:36 pm to
quote:

If they're still attracted to women they're in fact acting against their nature, and only out of necessity.

So a person, under extreme circumstances, could act against their "nature" in prison. But not out of it.
Atlanta
Member since Feb 2005
27539 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:37 pm to
quote:

It was totally unheard of in mainstream society, not that long ago.
are you from Iran?
Posted by Iosh
Bureau of Interstellar Immigration
Member since Dec 2012
18941 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:39 pm to
quote:

Also no determining factor can be established. Hardly proof. I believe it is and I believe it will be proven, but for the time being that is far from it.
There won't be "a determining factor." The research done on homosexuality points to multiple etiologies. They could all be correct, but each would only account for a piece of the puzzle. Not all traits have neat single-mechanism origins.

I suppose you could go at it from the other direction: the only study in the scientific literature (as opposed to some zero-impact factor Journal of Jesus Studies) that ever supported the "choice" view was the Spitzer study on reparative therapy, and it was a POS that Spitzer himself has retracted. 200 self-selected conversion success stories, referred from NARTH, interviewed by phone, working from two unknown denominators, that said being gay was a "choice," where "choice" represented years of painstaking effort that may have amounted to religious self-deception.
Posted by genro
Member since Nov 2011
61788 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:41 pm to
Unheard of, literally

I didn't say non-existant
Posted by the808bass
The Lou
Member since Oct 2012
111508 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:42 pm to
quote:

The research done on homosexuality points to multiple etiologies.

So why the push to make it "genetic" (one-to-one correspondence to genetic factors) when we all know it isn't the case? And we all know the answer to that as well. It's great propaganda.
Posted by Zed
Member since Feb 2010
8315 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:46 pm to
Extreme circumstances anywhere could influence someone's sexual choices I suppose. Being imprisoned entirely with your own sex for a prolonged period is a very unnatural and extreme situation. I don't know how fair it is to compare it with outside circumstances. What is the equivalent psychologically damaging experience? Rape? Molestation?

If that's the sort of stuff that has to happen to really frick with someone's sexual orientation, that just just reinforces that it's overwhelming inherent to me.
Atlanta
Member since Feb 2005
27539 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:51 pm to
quote:

Unheard of, literally
no it wasn't, we just kept it to ourselves, like my lesbian great-aunt in the Army, born ~1910.
Posted by DawgfaninCa
San Francisco, California
Member since Sep 2012
20092 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:51 pm to
quote:

Human beings aren't the only animals that engage in homosexuality, dozens upon dozens of other animals engage in it as well.

As I pointed out in other threads about homosexuality, animals that people say engage in acts of homosexuality are actually engaging in acts of dominance.

All except one of the examples of animals that supposedly engage in acts of homosexuality have been male animals engaging in acts of dominance.

That's hardly enough evidence to declare it's a fact that many animals engage in acts of homosexuality.
This post was edited on 9/3/14 at 11:55 pm
Posted by NC_Tigah
Carolinas
Member since Sep 2003
123869 posts
Posted on 9/3/14 at 11:52 pm to
quote:

Being gay is not a choice! Prove it
It proves itself.
Jump to page
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 10Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram