re: .

Posted on 5/24/12 at 6:46 am to
Posted by titmouse
a tree branch above your car
Member since May 2006
6354 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 6:46 am to
quote:

my step-father was the General Manager there from '59 - to '79-'80. I was telling him about this thread and he said he actually has a photo of him standing in front of the mural with Billy Cannon and Charlie McClendon. It makes him so sad to see the Bellemont in such a sad state.

I bet he has some great stories.
Posted by lsu7171
baton rouge
Member since Mar 2004
3863 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:12 am to
can u get the picture and post on here?
Posted by windhammontanatigers
windham-stanford, montana
Member since Nov 2009
4993 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:13 am to
Remember the picture well.In fact when I was in the 5th grade back in 1972, my dad was great friends with Donald Ray Kennard and Mr. Kennard set up a dinner for my Dad and myself with Bert Jones, Chris Dantin and defensive tackle John Wood at the Belmont and I have a picture of me sitting in Bert Jones lap in front of the mural that was on the wall that you now have or should I say the painting that you now have. I now live in Montana and am visiting my Dad in the next week . I will see if I can take a good picture of my picture and post it for you so you can see the complete painting. Good Luck and glad you were able to get it and hopefully can be restored. :geauxtigers: :geauxtigers: :geauxtigers:
Posted by LSUinmyDNA
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Member since Oct 2009
429 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:20 am to
Oh does he have stories....John Wayne, Clint Eastwood. He met them all.

The Bellemont used to host the visiting football teams and it was fun taunting them before and after the games.
Posted by LSUinmyDNA
Member since Oct 2009
429 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:22 am to
After I told my stepdad about this thread he was going to look for that photo and next time I'm in Baton Rouge he is going to give it to me. So I will post it when I get it from him in a couple weeks
Posted by lsu7171
baton rouge
Member since Mar 2004
3863 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:36 am to
NICE
Posted by olegreg
Denham Springs
Member since Dec 2009
610 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 5:49 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 7/1/21 at 4:09 pm
Posted by lsu7171
baton rouge
Member since Mar 2004
3863 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 6:28 pm to

Been curious, any idea on what this thing is worth in its current shape as far as monetary value? I mean it is in bad condition but the important section is in better shape. It is historically significant and is extremely large which would obviously make it worth a significant amount more. Any ideas?
Posted by Lago Tiger
Lago Vista Tx
Member since Jan 2011
1069 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:15 pm to
LSU in my DNA , I think you're my cousin . And yes your Step Dad could tell a lot of stories about that place
Posted by iluvdatiger
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Jan 2004
42829 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:17 pm to
Charlie is so gansta! I really hope somebody gets that chandelier, the bullfighter print, and the wheel of booze. Is the half circle couch salvageable?
Posted by GeorgeTheGreek
Sparta, Greece
Member since Mar 2008
66417 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:29 pm to
I'm too young to remember the old Belmont in its prime, but this is a very cool thread.
Posted by Lago Tiger
Lago Vista Tx
Member since Jan 2011
1069 posts
Posted on 5/24/12 at 7:38 pm to
I'm telling you that place had some great food back in the early 70's . We use to hang out by the pool all summer . A lot of us got extra jobs when the movie companies stayed their . Met all kinda actors . I used to sit with Ken Norton at breakfast in the coffee shop. . Lots of wonderful memories .
Posted by reford
Livingston Parish
Member since Sep 2008
15 posts
Posted on 5/25/12 at 12:54 am to
Went back to the Bellemont today, for what I'm thinking will be the last time for me. Rick Portier from WAFB came along, as did Colleen from AbandonedBatonRouge.

I took more pics and am adding them to the flickr account, rearranging them so the 1957 pictures I got from the library are next to the current pictures. Lots more to add.

I swiped the Wheel of Booze today. ;) Got some ribbing from Rick for it, and complete disdain from my husband. "You seriously want to put THAT in our house?" I don't know, I think it's kinda cool. Rick says it was a drink special promo wheel, probably from the 80s based on the prices of the drinks.

I didn't see the Matador pic this trip through. It was ripped and stretched in a few places, doubt it was worth anything. Did find (and keep) a bunch of blank checks and some old stationery and plastic cups with their logo on it.

I say, "swipe," I did slip some green to my pal Charlie. Charlie is a sexy beast. Just sayin'. I'm married, but I ain't dead. ;)

The couch is in great shape at a glance but it is SO nasty from mold and funk... no idea if it could be reupholstered or redone somehow without that horrible stench in it forever.

WAFB's piece is set to run on Sunday, probably the 10:00 newscast, Rick says.

Today we ran into a gentleman who had been a bellhop there at 13 who had shaken John Wayne's hand there "a couple of times," sometime in the 60s, he thought. He was looking to buy some equipment for his restaurant. He's good friends with Billy Cannon and can get you in touch with him if you wanted to ask him about the painting, olegreg.

The huge chandelier in the Great Hall will definitely be sold, it's just a matter of getting it down. I don't know if it's been posted here, but the Great Hall IS going to be demolished after all. It would have been expensive to remodel (with NO copper wiring, so NO electricity), and the current owner, TJ Calloway, has been unable to find an interested investor.

Here's a shortened link to the Flickr pix (many more pictures to be added) for sharing with friends and family who might be interested:

www.TinyUrl.com/Bellemont

I've been tinkering with the idea of putting up a memorial website to the old Belle -- doing some more research on its history, posting more old pictures, interviewing some of the people who worked or stayed there. There are some interesting stories related to that hotel from what I've heard, including some mob activity.
This post was edited on 5/27/12 at 11:15 am
Posted by lsucapt
alexandria
Member since Jun 2005
70 posts
Posted on 5/25/12 at 5:24 am to
Sorry to see the place go
Had my wedding reception there in 81
Took bar exam there in 82

It was showing signs of decline then
Posted by LSUinmyDNA
Member since Oct 2009
429 posts
Posted on 5/25/12 at 6:37 am to
If you go forward with this idea you really need to talk to my step-dad. Having been the General manager of the Bellemont for so long he can give you so much information. If you want more info - Txjewelya at gmail and I can give you my step-dad's name and number
Posted by LSUinmyDNA
Member since Oct 2009
429 posts
Posted on 5/26/12 at 5:21 pm to
My Dad went by the Bellemont today and spoke to some people connected with demolition. They had a great conversation about the place. He only went in as far as the old lobby. The gentleman he spoke with said the Billy cannon mural had been donated to LSU (?) There are 2 news stories to be broadcast on WBRZ and WAFB. Thanks everyone for bringing this to the rant....many memories
Posted by olegreg
Denham Springs
Member since Dec 2009
610 posts
Posted on 5/26/12 at 6:09 pm to
quote:

mural had been donated to LSU (?)

Nope. Still at my house.

Going to call your father tomorrow. Thanks for that. I cant wait to see the pic he has.
Posted by LSUinmyDNA
Member since Oct 2009
429 posts
Posted on 5/26/12 at 7:29 pm to
Yes do call him...seems everyone wants a copy of that photo. The guy at the demolition office called someone who also wants a copy. Seems to be the only photo with Coach Charlie Mac and Cannon in it....I told him you were gonna call...
Posted by iluvdatiger
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Jan 2004
42829 posts
Posted on 5/26/12 at 8:10 pm to
quote:

I swiped the Wheel of Booze today. ;) Got some ribbing from Rick for it, and complete disdain from my husband. "You seriously want to put THAT in our house?" I don't know, I think it's kinda cool. Rick says it was a drink special promo wheel, probably from the 80s based on the prices of the drinks

Win!

quote:

The couch is in great shape at a glance but it is SO nasty from mold and funk... no idea if it could be reupholstered or redone somehow without that horrible stench in it forever.

aww, well that sucks
Posted by reford
Livingston Parish
Member since Sep 2008
15 posts
Posted on 5/27/12 at 11:48 am to
Hi, all!

1. The WAFB story on the Bellemont is supposed to run tonight at 10. If you miss it, it'll be on their website tomorrow.

2. I set up a Facebook group for the Bellemont, for people who want to share pictures and stories, to ask questions, to research the mural and its artist, etc. I'm following active discussions about the B. in a couple of locations and thought that the folks talking here might want to talk to the folks over there. It's:

www.Facebook.com/TheBellemont

3. Does anyone know anyone who could potentially save the humongous Italian glass tile mural outside the Pan American Suite? (If it's still standing, that is... it was there Thursday but that doesn't mean anything today.) I'm thinking the Arts Council, or one of the historic preservation societies? It's built into a wall bordering the private pool, so I don't know if that's even possible to do, but the Abandoned Baton Rouge lady asked me to find out.

4. I also registered www.TheBellemont.com but am currently just redirecting it to the Flickr page. I'm working on a kind of memorial website with pictures, interviews with people who worked there or stayed there, etc., but that's going to take a while to develop.

These stories about people who got to meet Cary Grant, John Wayne, etc., or got to be extras in movies thanks to the B. -- I want to hear more!

Also, I came across a story from the early/mid 70s where The Bellemont was used as a regular meeting spot for the Teamsters, who eventually beat to death someone over a concrete contract...? If you have any scoop on this, I'd love to hear it!

Easiest way to find me is to go to the FB group and choose the Message option. I'll try to check back on this post, though.

Have really enjoyed reading this and the other posts here about the B.!
first pageprev pagePage 4 of 5Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram