Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:08 am to
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89516 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:08 am to
quote:

Even if you think we were being pushed around by Mexico, Australia, etc

Do you think we were being pushed around?

quote:

there's no reason to act like a petulant child.

Like issues about Churchill busts, giving the cold shoulder to Bibi, then trying to rig the election against him? Maybe that's smart and clever (because you agree with the action), but that seems as petty and petulant as anything Trump does - and at least Trump is out in the open with it, not backhanded or behind the scenes.
Posted by TrueTiger
Chicken's most valuable
Member since Sep 2004
67870 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:09 am to
The debate is over.

The nation decided.

The plan is being executed.
Posted by EZE Tiger Fan
Member since Jul 2004
50278 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:10 am to
quote:

The wait and see approach here certainly seems more prudent than jumping on board with definitive declarations of folks who have been wrong on pretty much everything for the past 8+ years

FIFY
Posted by mmcgrath
Indianapolis
Member since Feb 2010
35391 posts
quote:

How do you know he is acting like that? Are you taking the Fake News Media's word?
This morning he said to not worry about his "tough phone calls" because it is all apart of him straitening out the world. I didn't see a "Trust me" in the quote, but I am sure it was implied.
Posted by BugAC
St. George
Member since Oct 2007
52787 posts
quote:

There's really no defense for Trump's diplomatic style

Why does he have to defend his diplomatic style? If you think it needs defense, then you think there is failure happnening. So, what is the failure of his diplomacy? Where are we suffering currently, because of his diplomatic style? Where has America been set back?

We'll wait for you to answer.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422416 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:11 am to
there is also an "Obama bias" where Trump has to come into the administration dealing with deals and agreements made by the previous President. if they have different views of FP, there will naturally be more conflict in resolving these issues

you can easily argue that he has to be firm and obvious due to this bias. Trump's FP facade may greatly change over time when he's implementing his own policies and not dealing with the policies of the previous admin.

Obama did the same thing with hat stupid and pointless Apology Tour early in his admin to try to work out issues that Bush left him
This post was edited on 2/2/17 at 9:12 am
Posted by roygu
Member since Jan 2004
11718 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:16 am to
I guess you love the image of Obama kissing the hands of other heads of state?
Posted by Choctaw
Pumpin' Sunshine
Member since Jul 2007
77774 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:16 am to
I bet you pay sticker price for vehicles
Posted by baobabtiger
Member since May 2009
4720 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:19 am to
quote:

Speak softly

Sounds like some rules a liberal pussy who is afraid of confrontation made up.

One of the main problems with our country is that we have been slowly conditioned to be so worried about offending anyone. Being offended is a choice. It isn't forced on anyone. If you dont like what someone is saying it is your choice to let it get to you. Difference of opinions is not a bad thing. But acting like a child after hearing something you don't like is.
Posted by Placebeaux
Bobby Fischer Fan Club President
Member since Jun 2008
51852 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:28 am to
It seems that International diplomacy has become more of a lose-lose situation for America.

Americanism not globalism will be our Credo
Posted by TrebleHook
Member since Jun 2016
1356 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 9:29 am to
quote:

petulant child

Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:19 am to
quote:

How do you know he is acting like that? Are you taking the Fake News Media's word?

You don't have to take the media's word for it. Just read his tweets.

"I will study this dumb deal!"

Like I said, this is the language of 6 year olds.
This post was edited on 2/2/17 at 10:21 am
Posted by Rover Range
Member since Jun 2014
2768 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:22 am to
Or maybe he is going to the public with the his information to create awareness.

And the irony is, last night's scene at UC Berkeley looked like 6th grade... well plus fire and violence
Posted by Wtodd
Tampa, FL
Member since Oct 2013
67482 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:24 am to
I'll add you to the list of those that still don't know why Trump was elected.
Posted by cahoots
Member since Jan 2009
9134 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:29 am to
I understand that he was elected partly because certain Americans want a populist leader who breaks the unwritten rules of diplomacy.

That doesn't mean that I think his style is effective.

Two different things.
This post was edited on 2/2/17 at 10:30 am
Posted by Spock's Eyebrow
Member since May 2012
12300 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:29 am to
quote:

Trump basically confirmed it in his speech this morning.

If I may speak for your downvoters, you have to take what @real says "seriously but not literally." Or is it the other way around? It's confusing.

Posted by Homesick Tiger
Greenbrier, AR
Member since Nov 2006
54208 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:33 am to
quote:

there is also an "Obama bias" where Trump has to come into the administration dealing with deals and agreements made by the previous President. if they have different views of FP, there will naturally be more conflict in resolving these issues

Especially when probably 90% of the staffers are holdovers from the Obama admin that has been hired in the last eight years.
Posted by Wtodd
Tampa, FL
Member since Oct 2013
67482 posts
Posted on 2/2/17 at 10:34 am to
quote:

I understand that he was elected partly because certain Americans want a populist leader who breaks the unwritten rules of diplomacy.

Not sure 'we' wanted a populous leader; we wanted someone that thought and cared about America first.
quote:

Then you haven't been paying attention The man hasn't changed his style and is getting a ton of shite done.
Posted by The Maj
Member since Sep 2016
27117 posts
quote:

Tell me exactly how his "style" is not effective. What he perceived as a crappy deal was struck by his "lets not offend anyone" predecessor and I would imagine the Australian PM was pushing for the deal to remain in place. You can only say "no" so many times before you simply have to put your foot down to make someone understand that "no" means it is not going to happen.

This is an Australian problem, not a U.S. problem. Oh and while you are at it, let me know if you think Australia benefits more from an alliance with the U.S. or does the U.S. benefit more?

Just because the U.S. was led by a spineless, apologist for the last 8 years does not mean that Trump has to continue down the same path and quite honestly, I would be highly disappointed if he did.
Posted by el Gaucho
He/They
Member since Dec 2010
52971 posts
Of course you can't defend against trumps style, it's too badass
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram