Started By
re: .

Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:59 pm to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:59 pm to
We had a contract that I could cancel for $250, which is why he backed off when I told him about immigration

This contract contained zero specifics about the layout. We had a discussion 2 weeks ago, for about 10 whole minutes
Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166363 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:08 pm to
Foreman and salesmen are very closely tied together in the construction industry

I got a bunch of quotes on spray foam insulation and then I got a bunch of quotes on window replacements and never would the sales guy have been anywhere near the job on job day
Posted by Cdawg
TigerFred's Living Room
Member since Sep 2003
59535 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:08 pm to
quote:

I live in the United States, we speak English.

No, you speak English like the majority in the US. There is no official language of the US.

quote:

I'm under no expectation to speak Spanish.

You should probably rethink this living in Austin to understand a little. It seems that it would have benefited you some today.
Posted by beauchristopher
new orleans
Member since Jan 2008
66047 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:09 pm to
My dad was Skeptical to hire a Mexican (who speaks very little english) for his construction jobs but my gf and I talked him into giving him a chance.. We felt it would be better to give him a chance than all the others he typically hires.. Turns out he is the hardest working guy on the crew.. He's actually eager to work and is incredibly efficient. He is also a mechanic and has fixed two issues on our cars including replacing a water pump for extremely cheap.. He did it with a stomach flu outside on the hot pavement.. This guy always shows up, has his own truck and tools..very pleasant to be around too.
Posted by drhuggybear
Member since Mar 2009
339 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:12 pm to
quote:

This contract contained zero specifics about the layout.

Then you did not have a good contract. Contract should have included all the work to be done to protect both parties. He could have easily come back and said oh we need more money because you changed something when in fact you didn't. It's his word against yours and I guarantee the contract you signed is going to have some verbiage in it saying additional costs may be added if needed. You go to court and guess what ... you lose.

quote:

We had a discussion 2 weeks ago, for about 10 whole minutes

There is no way anyone should be showing up to do work based on 10 minutes worth of discussion. That is dumb. This is all on you for not doing your due diligence leading up to them showing up at your door. You should have had everything arranged, documented and signed before anyone showed up to do any work.

Did you do a layout of the zones compared to the survey of your property? Obviously not so how do you know that they aren't going to run some lines across an easement? They do then the utility company comes in a year and tears up your sprinkler system - guess who's fault? Not them. Yep, your property your responsibility.

You are lucky you didn't get screwed but if you want to be mad at someone look in the mirror as there is the main cause of all of this.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:12 pm to
that's been most people's experience

but he wasn't given the blueprints and told, see you when it is done.

the firm that hired for this were able to speak to people in their own language

frick that. I'm not paying a lot of money for unskilled people to do unsupervised labor...PERIOD

this guy was a sketch ball. who knows if he ever planned on being out there.
Posted by stlslick
St.Louis,Mo
Member since Nov 2012
14054 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:15 pm to
quote:

they'll probably do a better job than anyone else. Manual labor, it's their thing. Relax

Ur right, but u have to have at least one who speaks english.

If your going to do work like that, the home owner is going to ask questions and possibly have concerns about certain spots, or where owner would like the sprinklers.

I have no problem with the workers, but one has to speak english, even if broken english. Owner/foreman of company screwd the pooch.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:15 pm to
oh, no shite I bear a lot of responsibility. So I don't give a shite how reputable a company is, I want this shite upfront

I thought it was weird he didn't require a deposit. Their reviews are crazy good, but thinking about it, how does a layman really know if they got what they paid for.

I'm irritated at myself. I'm relieved I didn't let those morons start digging up my yard. It wasn't easy. This took time to get to this point and I was excited.

it's a learning experience for sure.
Posted by ballscaster
Member since Jun 2013
26861 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:16 pm to
Just learn Spanish.
Posted by ULSU
Tasmania
Member since Jan 2014
3931 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:20 pm to
You keep saying you hired a reputable company to install a high end system, but you don't trust how they run their reputable business. Why check their references in the first place, rather than just inquire as to whether or not they'd have illegal mexican speakers or not?

Those guys didn't need to talk to you. They knew as much as the foreman would have told them anyway.
Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166363 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:26 pm to
quote:

OK this has to be answered you keep making an issue of what you are paying for the system so how many zones and what was your total price you were paying and maybe any other pertinent information?

still waiting OP, you reada english?
Posted by ULSU
Tasmania
Member since Jan 2014
3931 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:27 pm to
You're being the weasel.
Posted by Cdawg
TigerFred's Living Room
Member since Sep 2003
59535 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:27 pm to
quote:

, which is why he backed off when I told him about immigration

Actually he backed off b/c he probably didn't want to deal with a crazy person. No offense. There is so much work out there he probably doesn't want the headache. So this probably is best for both parties.

So next time, you should ask for scope of work, plan, proof of being permitted, and be sure when they're done, they will come back and lay sod or any kind of repair work to return the yard back to it's original condition.

quote:

I thought it was weird he didn't require a deposit.

Actually, I'd be more concerned about someone asking for one on a simple 5k project. That takes leverage away from you.
Posted by drhuggybear
Member since Mar 2009
339 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:37 pm to
quote:

Actually, I'd be more concerned about someone asking for one on a simple 5k project. That takes leverage away from you.

I don't know how asking for a deposit takes leverage away from either side. Personally, from both sides, I would want a deposit.

As the company I have to pay staff to be there. Now I have some client who is refusing my staff from doing their jobs for some reason but I still have to pay the 3 guys that showed up onsite. That deposit covers my costs for the wasted day/job.

As the homeowner, the deposit ensures that the contract is enforceable as a transfer of goods for services has begun. Assuming I ensured the contract had things like - a start date, a completion date, scope of work, schedule of payments based on work schedule, etc.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:44 pm to
Actually, a deposit can be pretty beneficial to the customer

You say I'm crazy, I think expecting someone to give you thousands of dollars for a nuanced job done by people with no ability to communicate and no supervision is crazy.

That, and the potential damage to my property. Sorry, I wanted a skilled person on site, I had 3 rough looking people who couldn't speak one word of English and clearly didn't know what they were doing. Or maybe they did...WE COULDNT COMMUNICATE. They were speaking to me as if they totally expected I'm fluent in Spanish. frick that
Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166363 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:47 pm to
quote:

Sorry, I wanted a skilled person on site,

you had several of them.

quote:

I had 3 rough looking people

oh you thought trench diggers and laborers were going to be dressed in church attire?
quote:

Or maybe they did...WE COULDNT COMMUNICATE.

oh like this "hey chicos, do you know what they hell you doing?"
"ah si senor, we know much well"
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:49 pm to
no

Reputation doesn't mean I have to be oblivious to real concerns

I guaranfrickingtee you that had you been in the same situation with your money and your property, you'd want to speak to SOMEONE. Unfortunately I couldn't stay there all day, and I didn't want them to work on my property without a supervisor after I left so I told them to leave

You can call me an a-hole all you want, but had the guy shown up or just answered his fricking phone, there wouldn't have been one problem
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:52 pm to
You think I should assume I had several of them.

all I know is the "expert" wasn't on site. No one on site I could even speak with on the basest level.
Posted by foshizzle
Washington DC metro
Member since Mar 2008
40599 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:52 pm to
quote:

The foreman, lead, supervisor, etc came out and I told him how I wanted the fence run, gate material, and what type of fence to run on each side.

The way I heard from the OP is that more needed to get ironed out. But maybe I'm mistaken.
Posted by Lithium
Member since Dec 2004
61980 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:53 pm to
quote:

they'll probably do a better job than anyone else.

this
Jump to page
Page First 11 12 13 14 15
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 13 of 15Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram