Started By
re: .

Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:56 pm to
Posted by drhuggybear
Member since Mar 2009
339 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:56 pm to
I don't think you are an a-hole. Just think you made a dumb mistake and are trying to place the blame elsewhere.

Best way to ensure the work gets done properly - ensure both parties know what the work to be done is BEFORE anything is done. Now I know you will respond with that is why I wanted to be able to talk to them. But have you ever had a conversation where someone misunderstands you. Probably not because everyone speaks English perfectly right and there is no such thing as miscommunication in the English language.

If everything is drawn out, spelled out EXACTLY how you want it before anyone even shows up onsite ... then you know what is going to happen. The workers know exactly what to do and at the end of it you both have something to check the work against.

Problem solved. No speaka de english. No problemo. Followo the damo pictureo and we are muey bueno.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 1:59 pm to
I knew, but I wanted to make sure he did.

There is no way, if I just let them go to town, there aren't issues and unmet expectations

Then hassle and dealing. frick that. You're right though. Next guy I'll make my expectations clear
Posted by Teton Tiger
Somewhere between here and there.
Member since Mar 2005
2994 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 2:00 pm to
quote:

Was I in the wrong here?

Did you get a certificate of insurance?
Posted by Dr RC
The Money Pit
Member since Aug 2011
58094 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 2:02 pm to
quote:

Well for starters they were asking me questions about the job. I was really there to make sure we were clear about 2 heads in an organic garden and make sure they had all the access they needed

If you have no idea if they were legal or not and have no problem with it why did you identify them as such in your thread title and OP? You also never paid for anything.

Shouldn't this thread read, "I cancelled a sprinkler instillation b/c the foreman was late & workers didn't speak English"?

and dude, how in the hell do you live in Texas and not know enough Spanish to say something like "Dónde está el jefe?"
This post was edited on 8/10/15 at 2:18 pm
Posted by ballscaster
Member since Jun 2013
26861 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 5:50 pm to
quote:

You can call me an a-hole all you want, but had the guy shown up or just answered his fricking phone, there wouldn't have been one problem
If you had taken personal responsibility and learned Spanish....
Posted by Cashmoney99
Member since Jun 2014
261 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 6:07 pm to
You sound like a dick.
Posted by Loveland Tiger
Colorado
Member since Nov 2014
5259 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 6:16 pm to
Glad I'm not you.
Posted by zeebo
Hammond
Member since Jan 2008
5198 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 6:20 pm to
I wouldn't let anyone but Latino workers
Do that kind
Of work.
Posted by LouisianaLady
Member since Mar 2009
81217 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 6:23 pm to
quote:

so I told them "vamanos" because I don't speak Spanish.

This is the best part.

I'm sure it has been brought to your attention already. Haven't read the thread.
Posted by Sparkplug#1
Member since May 2013
7352 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 6:51 pm to
Show up to work and some white privilege dude tells you to leave.

Probably didn't even introduce himself and shake their hands.
Posted by bigwheel
Lake Charles
Member since Feb 2008
6491 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 7:36 pm to
BEFORE YOU PAY. GET THE PLUMBING INSPECTOROUT TO INSPECT THE WORK. IF HE APPROVES PAY THEM AS AGREED
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:00 pm to
White privilege

Has anyone seen this shite show. This is the kind of labor you expect paying bottom of the barrel. They looked unprofessional. Not speaking English is unprofessional. The guy essentially contracted this out to some Home Depot motherfrickers and charged a higher end price for "expert" installation. They were illegal, I don't give a shite if I didn't have their documents. The guy totally backed away and never would refute that they were.

I don't give a shite how racist or privileged it sounds. It is entirely true. And I should report him to the IRS. I don't want unskilled dregs doing a skilled job. I paid for expertise and I got 3 dudes, looking like shite, ready to tear up my yard unsupervised

As a business, that's a terrible image to project. I'm so glad I sent them away. My property remains intact and I don't overpay by thousands of dollars
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:02 pm to
That's pretty much what I wanted the thread title to read but it doesn't fit. And he wasn't late, so much as he was never coming. I didn't want to be the one to tell them to leave, but I don't speak Spanish, they don't speak English and the jackass didn't answer his phone
Posted by yankeeundercover
Buffalo, NY
Member since Jan 2010
36373 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:04 pm to
quote:

Foreman should be been there...
You're right... He should be been there.

Solid argument.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:05 pm to
Yeah, show up to work. They came here illegally. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

If they were on the up and up, this guy wouldn't have gone away so easily.

He lost a day of work, his rented machine, etc. he was telling me they were offended, so that to get them back out there it was going to cost more for the lost day. He's a total con man
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:06 pm to
There would've been no problems. There doesn't need to be skilled people to dig, but there needs to be a skilled person telling them where to dig. Unbelievable, and he not only wasn't there

He was never coming. He didn't think I would be there and he was wrong
Buffalo, NY
Member since Jan 2010
36373 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:09 pm to
quote:

There doesn't need to be skilled people to dig
I especially like this point... indicating that one needs to speak English to be "skilled" and any "Spanish" speaking contractors cannot possibly be "skilled".

Keep digging, brah... Keep digging.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:12 pm to
I don't care if they can't speak English so long as there is someone who can, and the unskilled are headed by the skilled
Buffalo, NY
Member since Jan 2010
36373 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:14 pm to
Do you see where your logic argument is failing you here?

If P then Q, if not Q, then not P... (Modus Tollens if I'm not mistaken.)
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 8:16 pm to
If i can communicate with the foreman then it's not necessary the 3 laborers speak English

No foreman, yeah I'm going to need to speak to the laborers

Jump to page
Page First 12 13 14 15
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 14 of 15Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram