Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:47 am to
I live in the United States

We speak English.
Posted by Sparkplug#1
Member since May 2013
7352 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:48 am to
quote:

You live in Texas and don't speak any Spanish? Learn to speak the language or get the frick out!

I was wondering the same thing. Everyone knows a little Spanish, at least. I bet the OP thinks he's too good to speak Spanish.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:49 am to
Well if I don't kick them out and leave for work, they start tearing up my yard.

It wasn't an enviable position. Bottom line: dude wasn't there and he should've been. frick him. I don't care what the paperwork and coordinating with utilities cost him

All he had to do was be there or have someone pick up the phone
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:51 am to
Yes, the American contracting services in America is the bad guy for not speaking Spanish. Oh, I bet he thinks he's too good. Or I just expect to have a job supervised by someone I can speak to since it's my property

Posted by LSUAfro
Baton Rouge
Member since Aug 2005
12775 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:51 am to
quote:

You were right to want an English-speaking foreman you can talk with onsite but I wouldn't have kicked them out.

I just don't understand.

For example, I got a $10k fence and gate built. The foreman, lead, supervisor, etc came out and I told him how I wanted the fence run, gate material, and what type of fence to run on each side. I got a quote and set up a date. They came when I was at work at did the fence in 3 days. I met with the supervisor at the end of the work and walked through the project. Unless I'm changing the scope, why do I need to speak with anybody?

How do you hire a company where you're spending "top dollar" and have no project quote?
Posted by yellowfin
Coastal Bar
Member since May 2006
97747 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:53 am to
I did sprinkler installations in college and this is how most jobs were done. We didn't talk to the home owner probably 80% of the time.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:53 am to
yeah, I don't leave it to him to remember what we discuss. I want to speak with him at the start, and then I had to hope he communicated it to the people who I can't communicate with correctly

I deal with vendors all day. You have faith everyone does everything right, great

I go through it again to make sure
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:54 am to
Did your supervisor or foreman

Posted by Sparkplug#1
Member since May 2013
7352 posts
You know I'm mostly joking, right?
Posted by IMJ127
Death Valley
Member since Jul 2011
3345 posts
quote:

Fox Mulder
quote:

Austin, TX

You should have known.
Posted by stout
Smoking Crack with Hunter Biden
Member since Sep 2006
167618 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:55 am to
quote:

We didn't talk to the home owner probably 80% of the time.

Yea but none of them had organic gardens that needed watering
Posted by yellowfin
Coastal Bar
Member since May 2006
97747 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 11:59 am to
quote:

Did your supervisor or foreman

I was the foreman

The layout was discussed with the owner of the company before the contract was signed and a deposit was collected. He then returned when the job was complete to make sure everything was satisfactory and collect balance.
Posted by stout
Member since Sep 2006
167618 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:02 pm to
quote:

yeah, I don't leave it to him to remember what we discuss. I want to speak with him at the start, and then I had to hope he communicated it to the people who I can't communicate with correctly

Sounds like you have control issues
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:06 pm to
Meaning it was just kind of separate form the yard and has some weird hose system in it

Sorry I don't trust unsupervised laborers and never will. The apartment we rented pulled this shite all of the time. They used undocumented laborers unsupervised to do put down glue in an apartment and paint it all in a day and the whole building had to stay somewhere else for the night. Nose bleeds, headaches. They got sued. The whole building was toxic

And you don't charge top dollar for labor when your labor is cheaper and off the books. Regardless, if you want people you can't speak to, doing a job on your property as it pertains to something you don't know a lot about...be my guest

They were there for almost 40 minutes with no foreman, while I called incessantly in that time to get someone on the phone
Posted by The Sad Banana
The gate is narrow.
Member since Jul 2008
89498 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:06 pm to
quote:

If they get the job done, and do it correctly, who cares?

The problem was that he couldn't communicate with the crew. I would be very pissed off, too.

I had a contractor redo my lawn through my builder's hiring a few weeks ago. The contractor had a group of non-English speaking, most likely undocumented workers but the foreman was the owner and he was very good to work with. That made all the difference...plus his workers were all the same guys throughout the job and they wore uniforms.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:09 pm to
And nothing about this situation inspired confidence. I don't have confidence in unskilled people. I had confidence in the guy who was supposed to be overseeing and directing it and he wasn't. Had someone answered a fricking phone it also would be no biggie.
Posted by tracytiger
Baton Rouge
Member since May 2009
3631 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:09 pm to
I think you did the right thing. The idiots(young, white guys) who did our sprinkler system cut the phone line for the whole street in my subdivision.
Posted by stout
Member since Sep 2006
167618 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:10 pm to
quote:

And you don't charge top dollar for labor when your labor is cheaper and off the books.

You keep making these assumptions. You have no idea about any of this though.

quote:

Regardless, if you want people you can't speak to, doing a job on your property as it pertains to something you don't know a lot about...be my guest

I'd have no problem with it as long as (like has been mentioned 100 times but you ignore) you had plans and a contract with the company previously.

It's not like your system is special or the first one these guys put in.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:12 pm to
These dudes looked rough, not that I cared. But exactly. I don't trust unskilled workers I can't communicate with to do it unsupervised

Then he told me they were offended? I didn't speak to them. I couldn't. Adios. I don't want disgruntled people working on my property. Hey, I really want to do it but my guys are offended.

I don't care where that was going. I said then we have nothing more to discuss I don't want disgruntled people on my property.

Dude was a total weasel and he was saying "I could charge you" and I told him he wasn't because he'd be opening that can of worms.

Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166893 posts
Posted on 8/10/15 at 12:12 pm to
quote:

It's not like your system is special or the first one these guys put in.

#organicgardensmatter
Jump to page
Page First 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Jump to page
first pageprev pagePage 11 of 15Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram