Posted on 6/21/17 at 9:40 am to
Posted by Breesus
House of the Rising Sun
Member since Jan 2010
66982 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 9:40 am to
quote:

Han shot first.

Han shot. It wasn't first. It was the only shot fired.
Posted by GurleyGirl
Georgia
Member since Nov 2015
13164 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 9:58 am to
quote:

They apparently were trying to make the movie too funny in the vein of 21 Jump Street and the Lego Movie

No thanks.....
Posted by meeple
Carcassonne
Member since May 2011
9372 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 10:18 am to
quote:

Kasdan wrote the script.

Well there may be a shred of hope then. How can they start out so well as having Lawrence Kasdan writing the script and then go so far off-course to hire these two to direct it?

ETA: this movie
This post was edited on 6/21/17 at 10:23 am
Posted by SG_Geaux
Beautiful St George
Member since Aug 2004
77976 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 10:34 am to
quote:

Give us a raw, gritty Solo movie.

Posted by Tom288
Jacksonville
Member since Apr 2009
20987 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 2:46 pm to
I'm ambivalent simply because I never even wanted a Han Solo movie. Obi-Wan, Old Republic era, even Palpatine...there are so many better stories to explore than Han.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422470 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 3:03 pm to
quote:

I'm ambivalent simply because I never even wanted a Han Solo movie.

it is silly. just fan service

i mean they're making a fricking boba fett movie
Posted by Breesus
House of the Rising Sun
Member since Jan 2010
66982 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 3:12 pm to
quote:

it is silly. just fan service

OH THE HUMANITY!
Posted by LucasP
Member since Apr 2012
21618 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 3:40 pm to
quote:

they're making a fricking boba fett movie

No they're not. That's stupid. Quit being stupid.
Posted by Antonio Moss
Baton Rouge
Member since Mar 2006
48313 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 4:31 pm to
quote:

Han Solo is absolutely a self-interested space pirate/slimeball before he joins the Rebellion. A real nerf herder, if you will.

If you were trying to make a movie that was true to Solo prior to ANH, he'd probably be the anatognist
Posted by CC
Western NY
Member since Feb 2004
14864 posts
Posted on 6/21/17 at 6:33 pm to
Han is supposed to be a decent guy who always finds himself in shitty situations because he generally makes bad decisions. Like a hooker with a heart of gold.
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35239 posts
Posted on 6/22/17 at 12:01 am to
quote:

They apparently were trying to make the movie too funny in the vein of 21 Jump Street and the Lego Movie
Judging by the comments, their dismissal is pretty well-received. But I'm personally disappointed.

They were off choices given their background, which is predominantly comedy oriented (Directors of 21/22 Jump Street, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, & Lego Movie; creators of Last Man on Earth), but I think they've done a good job underlying drama within those ventures--despite being almost fully comedic/family centric. Regardless, it wasn't like their style was unknown beforehand.

And while I'll obviously give Kennedy the benefit of the doubt, given the two other recent films, between this and Trank, I'm not extremely confident nonetheless.
Posted by ProjectP2294
South St. Louis city
Member since May 2007
70290 posts
Posted on 6/22/17 at 9:14 am to
I guess I'm a little confused. They hired guys that specialize in comedy and then fire them for making a comedy?

Why did they hire them in the first place?
Posted by tigerpimpbot
Chairman of the Pool Board
Member since Nov 2011
66939 posts
Posted on 6/22/17 at 9:37 am to
A Han Solo slapstick comedy would make a killing. He could be like Moe and Chewy could be a cross between Larry and Curly. Comedy gold
Posted by Dr RC
The Money Pit
Member since Aug 2011
58071 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:17 pm to
quote:

Regardless, it wasn't like their style was unknown beforehand.

I don't think Lucasfilm/Disney was expecting Ace Ventura though...

quote:

Sources close to the project say that Miller and Lord were approaching the character of Han Solo in a more comedic approach, which didn't sit right with many people, specifically young Han Solo himself, Alden Ehrenreich.

Inside sources close to the project revealed to Star Wars News Net that Alden Ehrenreich voiced his concerns before anybody about the direction that Phil Lord and Chris Miller were taking the famous smuggler. Star Wars News Net explains.

"Ehrenreich had concerns with the production as filming progressed, he started to worry that Lord and Miller's screwball comedy angle was starting to interfere with what the character of Han Solo is really about - even if this was a younger, more reckless take on the character than the one we met in the cantina of Tatooine."

This position is completely understandable to anybody familiar with Star Wars and the character of Hans Solo. Han Solo is seen as more of a sarcastic character that starts off rather selfish at the beginning of the Star Wars trilogy and viewers aren't sure at first whether they can trust him.

As if the very mention of "screwball comedy" weren't enough, the source went on to say that Lord and Miller's portrayal of young Han Solo was like Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura at times.

LINK

quote:

One new report even claims that Lucasfilm weren’t just unhappy with Miller and Lord’s approach: they were concerned about the performance they were getting from star Alden Ehrenreich.

Speaking to sources close to both the production of the movie and the ousted directors Miller and Lord, the Hollywood Reporter alleges multiple situations indicative of a deep, growing difference between the duo and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. From a slow pace during filming to a lack of extra takes to use in the editing process, both Kennedy and Solo co-scriptwriter/producer Lawrence Kasdan began expressing concerns about the direction Miller and Lord were pushing the second Star Wars anthology film. Likewise, sources speaking to THR claim Miller and Lord were beginning to feel like encroaching pressure from Kennedy and Kasdan was stifling their creative freedom during the production process.

In an attempt to change things up when filming moved from London to the Canary Islands in May this year, Lucasfilm not only replaced the editor of the film, Chris Dickens, with longtime Ridley Scott collaborator Pietro Scalia—they also asked Miller and Lord to bring on an acting coach (as THR notes, while it’s not unusual for acting coaches to be hired, it’s unprecedented for a film so late in production) for star Alden Ehrenreich, after registering dissatisfaction with the performance Miller and Lord were getting out of the man tasked with stepping into Harrison Ford’s leather boots.

When Kennedy requested Kasdan head to the set after these shakeups didn’t lead to the changes they were looking for, Miller and Lord pushed back at his presence—said to be similar to Tony Gilroy’s late-game involvement in completing Rogue One after its own production troubles—and a day later, Kennedy made the decision to fire the directors. Alarmingly, one source speaking to THR claims that upon the announcement to the crew that Ron Howard would step in to take over the film a day after Miller and Lord’s firing, applause broke out. But while Miller and Lord are now off the film, sources claim that Howard is very willing to use much of the footage they shot to help complete the movie.

LINK
Posted by Tom288
Jacksonville
Member since Apr 2009
20987 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:22 pm to
I thought Lord & Miller were a horrible choice for a Han Solo film to begin with, not that I wanted a Solo film. They should have gone with a Kenobi film then Old Republic.

With that said, this following the stuff surrounding Rogue One does have me a little concerned with Kathleen Kennedy & Lucasfilm, because it's like they want to bring in hot up & comer directors who have a distinct style, but they also want them to conform largely to whatever "formula" they have in mind for these anthology films. And that's fine, having a formula, in fact I think it's a good thing because you have to make sure the film feels like Star Wars. But that brings in to question why go after these types of directors in the first place?

Gareth Edwards ultimately played ball, but I'd love to see the Rogue One he was originally going for. Seems like Lord & Miller weren't willing to play ball & it got them canned.
Posted by Byron Bojangles III
Member since Nov 2012
51664 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:23 pm to
Not Miller and Lords fault. They made the kind of movie they make. It's Lucas Films fault for hiring them.
Posted by RLDSC FAN
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Member since Nov 2008
51606 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:25 pm to
A Solo film was a dumb idea from day 1. Literally no one was asking for this film.
Posted by rondo
Worst. Poster. Evar.
Member since Jan 2004
77411 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:25 pm to
quote:

Well the cast Donald glover as lando. That should have been a red flag.

Donald Glover is a versatile actor pal.

quote:

I wish they would have put the breaks on abrams

Oh...I get it. You're stupid.
Posted by Fewer Kilometers
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
36051 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:33 pm to
quote:

A Solo film was a dumb idea from day 1. Literally no one was asking for this film.

The idea to have the film wasn't stupid. The execution was stupid.

Just as having a 4th Indiana Jones film where he hands off the franchise to his "son" isn't stupid. But, aliens, refrigerators in nuclear explosions, Shia LaBeouf... that's all stupid.
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67090 posts
Posted on 6/26/17 at 4:40 pm to
quote:

in the vein of 21 Jump Street and the Lego Movie

While this probably wouldn't feel right for a Star Wars movie, it would probably still be a crazy fun film.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram