Member since Sep 2010
32782 posts
Posted on 2/18/13 at 11:53 pm to
Posted by Ostrich
Alexandria, VA
Member since Nov 2011
8730 posts
Posted on 2/18/13 at 11:54 pm to
Never understood why teams can't just look at the college transcripts of players and/or evaluate them during the interview process. The wonderlic test seems silly anyway
Posted by Tiger1242
Member since Jul 2011
31899 posts
Posted on 2/18/13 at 11:54 pm to
quote:

“Someone may not be the best reader, but they can still be very smart in picking up things.”

Hey I guess we're not paying them to read
Posted by Jones
Member since Oct 2005
90453 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 12:01 am to
quote:

Never understood why teams can't just look at the college transcripts of players

because it probably doesnt really represent what how much the players have learned while in college or how smart they are. plenty dont go to class, take bullshite classes, have tutors do their work, etc
Posted by StraightCashHomey21
Aberdeen,NC
Member since Jul 2009
125398 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 12:18 am to
quote:

Never understood why teams can't just look at the college transcripts of players and/or evaluate them during the interview process. The wonderlic test seems silly anyway

b/c lots of them don't do their own work
Posted by jimithing11
Dillon, Texas
Member since Mar 2011
22471 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 12:22 am to
How many 225-pound watermelon presses can you complete?
This post was edited on 2/19/13 at 12:22 am
Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
Member since Oct 2006
39564 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 12:23 am to
Racist fueled hypothetical test questions by fellow posters in 3...

Im gonna laugh
Posted by PrimeTime Money
Houston, Texas, USA
Member since Nov 2012
27305 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 1:20 am to
If you have 6 gold teeth in your mouth, and they are 24 karots apiece, how many karots of gold do you have in your mouth?
Posted by SeeeeK
some where
Member since Sep 2012
28039 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 4:03 am to
St.Louis had to dumb down their Sergeants Test, because a certain part of the force couldn't pass. Also, let's add, they forced you to put your race, on the front page, to boot.

The St.Louis Fire Department was sued, and City gave in to dumb their test down. Claimed it was slanted to the White candidates.

My Question, if the test is about your job, and stuff you were taught, how can it be slanted, catered, etc to one race or group?????

Posted by Hubbhogg
Fayettechill
Member since Dec 2010
13425 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 5:10 am to
quote:

dunno how they can make this test even easier
Posted by GeauxTigers0107
South Louisiana
Member since Oct 2009
9706 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 6:28 am to
quote:

pussification of 'murica

This right here ^^^^

Googled "Wonderlic Sample Test" and here's what I got:

Wonderlic

Posted by Newbomb Turk
perfectanschlagen
Member since May 2008
9961 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 6:35 am to
The dumbing down of standardize tests has been done all over the country in a number of different context. The results always stay the same because the smarter applicants are able to adjust -- it's one of the byproducts of them being smarter.

NFL teams know that the Wonderlic is just one tool in the evaluation. On the field, pure physical skills and talents will typically make a bad Wonderlic score irrelevant. Then again, there are some talented players who are just so f*cking dumb that their talent just can't compensate.

Teams also know that many players "study" for the test and take several practice tests. And, just like the SAT/LSAT/GMAT/GRE/MCAT, the more you "practice" the better scores you get. I remember hearing a story that J.P. Losman scored in the single digits (oh, that fine Tulane education!!!) until his agent got him a few different tests and had him practice. He was then able to improve his score enough so that teams didn't think he was a complete dumb arse.
This post was edited on 2/19/13 at 6:36 am
Posted by Sophandros
Victoria Concordia Crescit
Member since Feb 2005
45218 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 6:54 am to
A test that is more relevant to the sort of cognitive abilities that pertain to football is needed.

What they also need is a personality test (not the sort you do online for free, but the sort some companies do prehire) to determine team and locker room fit, among other things.
Posted by ATLTiger
#TreyBiletnikoffs
Member since Sep 2003
44550 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 6:57 am to
the article linked in that blog post goes into more detail and is kinda LINK

as is the pic

that ain't no football playa!
Posted by WG_Dawg
Hoover
Member since Jun 2004
86445 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 8:23 am to
quote:

Cyrus Mehri, co-founder of the Fritz Pollard Alliance who with Johnnie Cochran prompted the NFL in 2002 to launch the Rooney Rule, helped develop the new exam.

Why the hell are people like this even listened to? When he first went to the NFL and had this stupid arse idea that teams should be forced to look at minority coaches, why didn't they just tell him to frick off? And now he's changing a testing system the NFL has used for 40 years to make it "socio-economically equal" whatever the hell that means, and the NFL agrees? Again, why not just tell him to go away?
Posted by AUCE05
Member since Dec 2009
42559 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 8:24 am to
I agree with it. If you're an owner, you need to know how quickly your investment (player) can learn football related topics. Who cares if they can't calculate the area of a square.
Posted by jacks40
Baton Rouge
Member since Oct 2007
11877 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 8:36 am to
quote:

And now he's changing a testing system the NFL has used for 40 years to make it "socio-economically equal" whatever the hell that means, and the NFL agrees

The NFL understands that having more data/ways to evaluate prospects is a good thing.

Good companies don't stick with something just because that's way it's been for 40 years.
Posted by WG_Dawg
Hoover
Member since Jun 2004
86445 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 8:38 am to
Right, I understand the need to adapt and evolve, it just doesn't really seem like there was anything wrong with the other version. Or at least, wrong in the sense that it caters to white people, which is what I'm assuming this dude is getting at with the "socioeconomic" angle.

I mean, if they wanted to have a real legit testing system, why not just give them a thorough, detailed test related to plays/schemes/skills for their position? I agree with the poster above that said doing these math/logic problems doesn't really prove a whole hell of a lot. I guess my whole issue isn't with changing the test, it's changing it to be more "equal", which we still don't know wtf they mean.
Posted by WDE24
Member since Oct 2010
54132 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 8:40 am to
quote:

If you have 6 gold teeth in your mouth, and they are 24 karots apiece, how many karots of gold do you have in your mouth?

Posted by tylercsbn9
Cypress, TX
Member since Feb 2004
65876 posts
Posted on 2/19/13 at 8:41 am to
So what are they doing to make questions like below less biased?

quote:

Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:

1. true, 2. false, 3. not certain?

The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.

Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:

1. true, 2. false, 3. not certain?

The homie plays basketball. All basketball players wear shorts. The boy wears a pair of shorts.

quote:

Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

Three individuals form a drug ring and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests 9 kilos of cocaine, Y invests 7 kilos of cocaine, Z invests 4 kilos of cocain. If the profits are $400,000, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram