- Landscapes are generated procedurally using math and random numbers.
- The World Map is a zoomable, turnable, 3D voxel map.
- Seeds can be used to make the same exact world again. Worlds are generated during gameplay.
- This means no long precomputations or large save files when the world is initially created.
- There are no artificial borders.
- There are multiple climates and themes including: Greenlands, Snowlands, Deserts, Jungles, Lava Lands, and Oceans.
- Five major adventuring skills include: Climbing, Swimming, Diving, Hang Gliding, and Sailing.
- There are Dungeons integrated seamlessly into the world. These are full of rare loot, stronger than normal enemies, and bosses.
- Different types of Dungeons include: Castles, Ruins, Temples, Pyramids, and Catacombs. There are also Overworld Dungeons, which are less structured and consist of disconnected buildings. They will have a boss somewhere in the center.
- Portals can be found in the world, and players can quickly teleport between discovered portals.
- Everyday in Cube World, new missions are made available that send the player to a dungeon or boss monster. Because new missions are made available everyday, you can stay in the same land forever should you choose to.
- Mission rewards include: Weapons, Armor, and Platinum Coins.
- Platinum Coins are used to upgrade Weapons and Armor.
- There are four main classes: Warriors, Rangers, Mages, and Rogues.
- Warriors use charged attacks (building up MP with normal attacks to charge up powerful special attacks). They are heavily armored melee fighters, and use one-handed weapons, two-handed weapons, and shields.
- Rangers similarly to Warriors use charged attacks, but with ranged weapons. They use bows, crossbows, and boomerangs.
- Mages cast spells that have varying cast times. Normal attacks are faster, while special attacks have longer cast times and consume MP. They use wands, staffs, and bracelets that can attack enemies, heal allies, and protect themselves.
- Rogues are more fast paced and the special attacks are instant. They are agile melee fighters that focus on stealth and evasion. They wield daggers, fist weapons, and longswords.
Each major class has two specializations that change playstyle and the abilities of that class.
Specialization can be changed at the class trainer.
- Warriors can specialize into:
Berserker: Attack speed increases with each hit. Attacks charge more quickly.
Guardian: Can block attacks with all weapons. Has increased health. Can become immune against stun attacks.
- Rangers can specialize into:
Sniper: Has camoflauge and aim abilities. Attack speed increases with each hit.
Scout: Special attacks have a chance to become instantly chargeable. Can sprint.
- Mages can specialize into:
Fire: Special attacks have a chance to become instantly chargeable. Can cast fire explosions.
Water: Attack speed is increased with each hit. Has healing spells.
- Rogues can specialize into:
Assassin: Special attacks increase stealth. Has improved stealth abilities.
Ninja: Dodges during special attacks. Can throw shurikens.
Skills and Progression
- With each gained level, players can assign skill points into a skill tree.
- There are both class specific skills (attacks / spells) and common skills (adventure skills).
- Your character's progression is infinite. You can level up infinitely and put infinitely many skill points into skill trees.
- This does not mean you become infinitely powerful. The power of players, creatures, items, and skills don't scale linearly or exponentially, but rather tangentially.
- So while levels can be between one and infinity, the corresponding power is between 1 and 100. A power of 100 can only be reached with an infinite level.
- In lower levels, power increments are more notable than in higher levels.
- For each world, the game generates creatures and dungeons evenly in all power ranges (1-100).
- This way the player can travel freely from land to land and always be sure to find creatures and dungeons of similar power.
- The advantages to this are: no level cap, player has no feeling of an end-game, and your power cannot be infinite.
- There are currently eight playable races including: Elves, Humans, Goblins, Lizardmen, Dwarves, Orcs, Frogmen, and Undeads.
- There are separate models for males and females. They have different voices.
- There are no class-race restrictions.
- Characters are customizable during character creation by choosing a combination of face, hair, and hair color.
- Lizardmen have scales rather than hair and Frogmen have different eyes.
Items and Crafting
- Items can be obtained from: enemies, treasure chests, missions, and vendors.
- Items can be crafted from: Weapon crafting, Armor crafting, Jewel crafting, Cooking, and Alchemy.
- Many crafts require recipes and ingredients.
- Weapon Crafting: Each class can craft weapons available to that class.
- Armor Crafting: Each class can craft armor available to that class.
- Jewel Crafting: All classes can craft rings and amulets. These have secondary stats that are useful for all classes.
- Cooking: Players can craft food for cheap out-of-combat healing or buffs.
- Alchemy: Players can craft healing potions and other useful potions.
- Weapons can be upgraded and customized on a per-voxel basis.
- As an example, Iron Swords can be upgraded with Iron Cubes which can be freely placed on the weapon. This increases damage and changes the looks of the weapon.
- Spirit Cubes are rare magic cubes that are obtained by defeating bosses. They are more powerful than normal cubes and have additional effects when placed on a weapon.
- Spirit Cubes have four potential effects: Fire, Wind, Ice, and Unholy.
Fire spirit deals additional fire damage.
Wind spirit increases attack and movement speed of the player.
Ice spirit slows attack and movement speed of the target.
Unholy spirit deals damage to the target and heals the player.
It obviously looks like it was born out of Minecraft, but that's not a bad thing.
minecraft didnt appeal to me, but this does
Infinite levels. Infinite, randomly generated (and partially destructible) worlds. Cube World is poised to be the next indie smash hit, but based on what I've seen, it could redefine the way we think about RPGs - most RPGs have finite worlds, levels caps, and limited amounts of content - all of which are non-existent in Cube World...
Hand-crafted worlds and quests will beat randomly generated ones, every time.