Started By
re: .

Posted on 2/17/15 at 8:37 pm to
Posted by The Dudes Rug
Member since Nov 2004
13860 posts
Posted on 2/17/15 at 8:37 pm to
quote:

At this point game collecting is more of my hobby than game playing.

I can attest to this. I started collecting big time about 4 years ago. I actually did it right and got a few of my most rare games when I was in 5th grade (the prices have skyrocketed now). Now that I achieved my goal of owning every PS1 RPG, I have finally started to knock a lot of them out.
Posted by Mr Gardoki
AL
Member since Apr 2010
27652 posts
Posted on 2/17/15 at 9:42 pm to
Oh I don't collect anything valuable, just current games that I want to one day play
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/17/15 at 10:15 pm to
Ellie + Bow

Sweeeeeeeeeet
Posted by oauron
Birmingham, AL
Member since Sep 2011
14512 posts
Posted on 2/17/15 at 10:42 pm to
quote:

Now that I achieved my goal of owning every PS1 RPG, I have finally started to knock a lot of them out.

Would love to see you have a Darkadia. LINK
This post was edited on 2/17/15 at 10:52 pm
Posted by The Dudes Rug
Member since Nov 2004
13860 posts
Posted on 2/17/15 at 11:21 pm to
I think I've seen someone NintnedoAge mention this. I will look into more tomorrow.
Posted by BulldogXero
Member since Oct 2011
9763 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 10:13 am to
There's too much walk forward and watch cutscenes in The Last of Us for me to really say it's the best game of all time. The gunplay was also pretty bad. Still,it has a lot of memorable moments.
Posted by jmarto1
Houma, LA/ Las Vegas, NV
Member since Mar 2008
33920 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 10:25 am to
Just started playing this and I enjoy it. A lot of suspenseful moments.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 10:29 am to
Gun play is bad until you upgrade to eliminate weapon sway
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 10:30 am to
Just play it on hard and think like a survivor and you'll have so much fun

Like someone said earlier even when you''ve finished a checkpoint that didn't go as planned and you wasted something, that feeling is authentic and awesome
Posted by USAF Hart
My House
Member since Jun 2011
10273 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 10:38 am to
I just picked TLOU Remastered up digitally via Ebay for $20. Only bought it for MP since I beat story mode on PS3. Best $20 I've spent on PS4 so far
Posted by The Quiet One
Former United States
Member since Oct 2013
11599 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 1:55 pm to
I don't know where it ranks, because my favorites depend on my mood at the time (am I on a FPS kick, an RPG kick, etc.).

I really enjoyed this game, even with some obvious bugs and the overstated enemy AI. The AI here is really no different than any other game AI. The stealth here isn't really different than any other stealth. Any faults regarding those two areas exist in every other game. The Metal Gear Solid franchise, for example, even in all its glory, has some god-awful stealth and AI moments but somehow gets a free pass from the same level of criticism.

The story here was great. I enjoyed the sense of desperation. Play this on Grounded difficulty. I enjoyed the characters, Joel & Ellie aside, Tess was a straight badass, Bill was spectacular, and David was a great baddie. There's a ton of moral ambiguity that I enjoyed, too. There were some collectibles to find and it was actually fun to search for them...none took a great deal to locate and simply enjoying the decayed scenery while searching was fun.

The DLC, "Left Behind", was terrible. So was Naughty Dog's decision to turn multiplayer into a micro-transaction and pay-to-win disaster. But, I still fire up the the single-player and roll through it.

I saw mention of the sewer area...it's possible to stealth kill the 2 clickers and 5 stalkers (5 more stalkers appear if you alert them). It's also possible to sneak by all of them without killing a single one of them. Challenges like that are fun to me.

All that said, I can easily understand how some would not like this game. The AI can be easily confused/beaten, some stupid "video game" mechanics exist...like a steel pipe breaking after hitting someone 5 or 6 times, and there is one exploit that ND has refused to fix that makes the game unbelievably easier (the modded weapon/unmodded weapon swap for unlimited shivs).

I'd give it a solid 7.5. It would be higher if they had left the multi-player alone.
Posted by Mr Gardoki
AL
Member since Apr 2010
27652 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 1:57 pm to
quote:

The DLC, "Left Behind", was terrible.

Can't agree with you here. I didn't love it but I did like it.
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:11 pm to
quote:

The DLC, "Left Behind", was terrible.
Wow. I really liked it. I'll admit that maybe too much of it played out as an interactive cut scene, but I found the story and environment interesting enough to not mind that. And I especially liked the part where you had to fight infected and hunters at the same time. That element should have been in the main campaign, though I know they couldn't squeeze it in because of time constraints.
Posted by Mr Gardoki
AL
Member since Apr 2010
27652 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:14 pm to
quote:

And I especially liked the part where you had to fight infected and hunters at the same time. That element should have been in the main campaign, though I know they couldn't squeeze it in because of time constraints.

That's exactly why it didn't make it they said. They originally wanted it in the Pittsburgh hotel area, I think in the kitchen after the basement.
quote:

I'll admit that maybe too much of it played out as an interactive cut scene

I actually could have done without all the combat sections and just done the story part. I would have been perfectly happy with this.
Posted by The Quiet One
Former United States
Member since Oct 2013
11599 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:19 pm to
quote:

Wow. I really liked it. I'll admit that maybe too much of it played out as an interactive cut scene,

Here's why I didn't like it...it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and for whatever reason that really bothered me.

I would have rather have had a DLC of Ish and what happened with him and the woman (I forget her name, it started with an 'S') after the sewers were overrun.

The story in and of itself for Left Behind wasn't bad, it was just already told.
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:20 pm to
quote:

I actually could have done without all the combat sections and just done the story part. I would have been perfectly happy with this.
I really enjoyed both aspects, but I can see why someone might not. The only part of the combat I didn't like was the flooded parking garage area (felt a bit too contrived / game-y) and the aspect of that final fight where hunters can break into where Joel is resting. I know that was there to give the combat a sense of urgency but it made it difficult to plan my attacks (which is one of the main things I love about the gameplay) when I have to run over and hit a guy with a few arrows every couple of minutes.
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:25 pm to
quote:

it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and for whatever reason that really bothered me.
I found it satisfying to see Ellie's relationship with Riley first hand, especially a glimpse of what life was like for 2 teenagers in a locked down city. This was all hinted at in the main campaign but I enjoyed it being expanded on.
quote:

I would have rather have had a DLC of Ish and what happened with him and the woman (I forget her name, it started with an 'S') after the sewers were overrun.
I was hoping this would be an additional DLC exclusively for the Remastered version. Oh well.
Posted by RTR America
Memphis, TN
Member since Aug 2012
39600 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:26 pm to

Speaking of Ellie, Lara Croft is starting to look like an older Ellie
Posted by Mr Gardoki
AL
Member since Apr 2010
27652 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:26 pm to
They said that they didn't need to tell ish's story because they felt they already did that in the collectibles. I still think it would have been cool. Maybe Last of Us 2?
Posted by DieDaily
West of a white house
Member since Mar 2010
2644 posts
Posted on 2/18/15 at 2:37 pm to
quote:

They said that they didn't need to tell ish's story because they felt they already did that in the collectibles. I still think it would have been cool.
Yeah. It might be more powerful as it is, with the player having to piece together in reverse order what happened to all of them living in the sewer. I would have liked some DLC of Joel's brother and how him and his crew found the hyrdo-electric power plant and cleaned it out. They could even re-use the map they recreated for that part of the game to save on dev time.
quote:

Maybe Last of Us 2?
Any opinions (from anyone) on where you'd like to see the story go with TLOU 2?
first pageprev pagePage 9 of 11Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram