Started By
re: .

Posted on 6/5/16 at 10:53 am to
Posted by LSU fan 246
Member since Oct 2005
90567 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 10:53 am to
quote:

especially when work is paying I get to order more entrees and apps to fill up on

So if someone else is footing the bill, you will order extra entrees and apps?

I mean I know who I'm talking to and I'm not shocked in the least that you said that, but I cant wrap my head around this train of thought.

quote:

good ole local spots to kick back a few and enjoy some authentic food.

I would say the food at 'fancy' places is more authentic than your local spot where you can kick back and dress like you just did yard work
Posted by dallastiger55
Jennings, LA
Member since Jan 2010
27819 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 10:58 am to
My argument has nothing to do with dressing up. I don't look a slob and never go out looking like one

My point is I don't like paying $30 for an entree that's 5 or 6 bites. Not sure how people get full on that

For work it's usually a large group and we always sample different stuff. Normally everyone picks an app we pass them around. I don't order two entrees for me. More like an entree with an extra side and a salad.

I love steak places because you can choose the size of the steak. Last time we went out to a fancy place for work I got the sea bass and I'm not kidding it wasn't more than 3 oz. it was sitting on top of 2 asaragus and had a sauce drizzled on it. I think it was $38 or $40. Stuff like that I just don't get. How is someone supposed to be full on that? My 3 year old eats more than that for breakfast
Posted by Enadious
formerly B5Lurker City of Central
Member since Aug 2004
17696 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:06 am to
quote:

My point is I don't like paying $30 for an entree that's 5 or 6 bites. Not sure how people get full on that

It's the same miracle that Jesus performed when he fed the masses with 5 loaves of bread and two fish...
Posted by LSU fan 246
Member since Oct 2005
90567 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:09 am to
quote:

I think people grossly exaggerate this topic a bit. Youve paid $30 for an entree and it be 5 bites and the whole dish is done?

I think ive honestly experienced this once where I got the plate and almost laughed at the amount of food. I think nicer places get stereotyped too much in that their portions are too small.

Where was this at?

quote:

Last time we went out to a fancy place for work I got the sea bass and I'm not kidding it wasn't more than 3 oz. it was sitting on top of 2 asaragus and had a sauce drizzled on it. I think it was $38 or $40.

where was this?

Posted by Caplewood
Atlanta
Member since Jun 2010
39156 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:13 am to
It's 100% made up bullshite. The only time you get a plate made up of a few bites is in a tasting menu setting.
Posted by AFistfulof$
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2013
973 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:32 am to
You sound trashy. Galatoires has great classic New Orleans food and strong cocktails. Things have not changed in over 100 yrs. Waiters make entire careers working at just that one restaurant and do well. If you go into something w/ preconceived notions you put a guard up and usually convince yourself that it is that way. You would actually find that galatoires while still requiring a jacket in the dining room is actually a room full of ppl usually having a good time and getting hammered for hours on end. Oh well your loss. Enjoy your ground pati.
Posted by LSU fan 246
Member since Oct 2005
90567 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:33 am to
oh i know. he is in the category of people i have zero trust in their opinions on this board.
Posted by pelicansfan123
Member since Jan 2015
2011 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:44 am to
(no message)
This post was edited on 5/9/20 at 5:52 pm
Posted by Caplewood
Atlanta
Member since Jun 2010
39156 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 11:55 am to
Dallastiger, dumbass
Posted by lsufan9193969700
3 miles from B.R.
Member since Sep 2003
55138 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 12:01 pm to
Bananas.60 each?

I have not stepped inside a WalMart in 5 years, but I guarantee you that the bananas were .60 a pound. Albertson's and Rouses are .59 a pound.

Posted by Caplewood
Atlanta
Member since Jun 2010
39156 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 12:04 pm to
It's a zach story, just ignore it like the rest of us.
Posted by Ed Osteen
Member since Oct 2007
57528 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 12:53 pm to
Posted by hungryone
river parishes
Member since Sep 2010
11987 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 2:09 pm to
The point of fine dining is to eat multiple courses....if you're ordering 3-4 courses, each should be sized so you can finish the plate and still have room for the next course. It's not feed trough, doggy bag portions, no.
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112611 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 2:26 pm to
quote:

imo, my coats and suits are some of the most comfortable clothes i have

I'm the opposite. I wear 15 dollar cotton shorts from Crazy Shirts in Hawaii until they are so full of holes that I'm afraid I'll get arrested for indecent exposure. That usually takes 10 years.
Posted by notiger1997
Metairie
Member since May 2009
58271 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 2:29 pm to
I bet you smell pretty bad too don't you?
Posted by Zach
Gizmonic Institute
Member since May 2005
112611 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 2:33 pm to
quote:

I bet you smell pretty bad too don't you?

Just the opposite. I shower 3 times a day...morning, after gym work out...after yard work in the evening. You can be extremely clean and wear raggedy clothes.
I have the cleanest rags in town.
Posted by Canard Noir
Houston
Member since Apr 2014
1397 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 2:35 pm to
quote:

Me? I've posted one thread on this board and you already have zero trust in my opinion? Whatever.

Here's the deal though. You came to a board that exists only to discuss food and drink to say you don't like a big part of what we discuss and enjoy here. You asked for reasons why things are the way they are and got some answers that you didn't even acknowledge. It shouldn't be a shock though that the majority of responses have some disdain for your comments. How do you think it would go if you went to the Money Board and ask about the best way to declare bankruptcy so you can get out of your student loans?
Posted by dsides
Member since Jan 2013
5405 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 3:51 pm to
It's probably already been said in this thread but at the risk of redundancy, I'll say it again. Some people see eating out as an experience and it goes way beyond how much you are paying for a specific amount of food. Others see is strictly as a means of fuel and survival.

The problem comes in when the self-serving bias of human nature kicks in and guys like Dallastiger call people that like fine dining snobs and the "food snobs" call out the Dallastigers for "being 12" for not wanting to dress up when eating out.

Neither side will change their ways based on this board so let's invest our intellectual capital discussing actual food, fine dining and "diners and dives" alike. There is good and bad about both.
This post was edited on 6/5/16 at 3:52 pm
Posted by WillieD
Lafayette/BR
Member since Apr 2014
2038 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 7:47 pm to
quote:

New Iberia

What a shite hole. You didn't need to go into that long story to tell us that fine dining wouldn't make it there.
Posted by Joshjrn
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2008
27179 posts
Posted on 6/5/16 at 8:18 pm to
I know I'm piling on at this point, but it has always blown my mind people have it in their head that jeans and a jacket are somehow more comfortable than their "dress clothes". Assuming you aren't wearing a tie, which is obviously somewhat constricting, your nice clothes should fit better and be made of better materials than your more casual clothes. If they aren't comfortable, you need to buy clothes that fit.

Huh, maybe that's the problem. They bought a suit five years ago, gained 30lbs, then want to complain about how uncomfortable their clothes are...
This post was edited on 6/5/16 at 8:19 pm
first pageprev pagePage 5 of 6Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram