1. Bring steak to room temperature. Salt steak.
2. Put skillet (without steak) in oven.
3. Heat oven as high as possible (mine goes to 550).
4. Remove skillet from oven and place on stove at high heat. Grind fresh black pepper on each side of steak, then put the steak in the skillet (on the stove).
5. Let the steak cook undisturbed for 90 seconds, then flip it for another 90 seconds. Add a little butter to the skillet if desired. Next, put it in the oven for 90 seconds on each side.
6. After removing steak from oven, allow it to rest on a plate for ~5 minutes (I make a foil tent). Add a pat of butter if desired. For additional deliciousness (and unhealthiness), you can also pour some of the juices from the skillet over the steak.
My way is easy to remember: 90-90-90-90. Turns out just right. If it's a ribeye, I may allow a little more oven time (maybe 30 additional seconds per side).
This post was edited on 1/10 at 2:57 pm