Fiance' works in the food industry and he'll tell you that GMO is a scary term for something that is not actually that scar
Upton Sinclair - "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."
Food inc, King Corn, and Genetic Lottery, are three 'should watch' documentaries for anyone interested in eating healthy beyond the USDA Aspertame/sugar/HFCS/Gliadin/GMO obesity/death pyramid.
Rats fed GMO corn: Image: http://www.naturalnews.com/images/Rat-Tumor-Monsanto-GMO-Cancer-Study-3-Wide.jpg
BT, a shortened name for a species of bacteria that produces a toxin. The genes from that bacteria are 'shotgunned' into corn embryos to make GMO corn that naturally produces BT.
BT corn gets in our bellies and infects the flora therein, causing that flora to become BT producing. This is not good.
Round up ready is a whole other deal, that likewise, is very bad for those who consume it, animal or human. More detail in Genetic Lottery for the visual learners and lots of research on the net for readers. LINK
65 Health Risks of GM Foods
Section 1: Evidence of reactions in animals and humans
1.1 GM potatoes damaged rats
1. Rats were fed potatoes engineered to produce their own insecticide.
2. They developed potentially precancerous cell growth in the digestive tract, inhibited development of their brains, livers and testicles, partial atrophy of the liver, enlarged pancreases and intestines and immune system damage.
3. The cause was not the insecticide, but in all likelihood was the process of genetic engineering.
4. GM foods on the market—which were created with the same process—have not been subject to such an extensive testing protocol.
1.2 Rats fed GM tomatoes got bleeding stomachs, several died
1. Rats were fed the GM FlavrSavr tomato for 28 days. 2. Seven of 20 rats developed stomach lesions (bleeding stomachs); another 7 of 40 died within two weeks and were replaced in the study. 3. The tomato was approved despite unresolved safety questions by FDA scientists. ]
1.19 Eyewitness reports: Animals avoid GMOs 1. When given a choice, several animals avoided eating GM food. 2. In farmer-run tests, cows and pigs repeatedly passed up GM corn. 3. Animals that avoided GM food include cows, pigs, geese, squirrels, elk, deer, raccoons, mice and rats.
Seen the wild animals avoiding gmo round up ready corn grown by my neighbor. He gave me a 50lb sack to 'give my chickens'. I didn't.
I left it out by the compost pile over 3 years ago. 6 months later most of it was still there. Squirrels, chickens, rabbits, dogs, deer, possums, raccoons, ground hogs, mice, moles, crows, and many other bird species... nothing touched that shite.
Again, eat whatever trips your trigger. But if you don't seriously research it and rely on the FDA and Monsanto to tell you the truth then the consequences are entirely an individual matter.
Do people (who don't get $$ from the .gov) still trust our government and our media?