This afternoon's dish made for dinner tonight.
You will need:
- One and a half pounds chicken - I used breast tenders.
- Two cups chicken broth, black pepper two stalks celery.
- One green pepper
- Two smallish onions
- Two cloves garlic
- One medium jar Pimento
- One large jar sliced mushrooms
- Half a stick of butter
- 16 ounces pasta - vermicelli water and salt to boil
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 can tomatoes - I used whole tomatoes with tomato juice and crushed them when adding - I didn't use the can of tomato puree, but I could have and would have if needed. Just didn't need it.
- salt and black pepper to taste. Eventually added about a teaspoon of salt when mixing ingredients before baking.
Cook chicken, with two stalks celery and two teaspoons black pepper in two cups chicken broth.
When cooked, remove from broth and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
Chop onions and peppers. Mince garlic. Saute in half stick of butter.
When vegetables are tender, add pimento and mushrooms and continue cooking for a few minutes.
After cooking the vegetables for a few minutes, mix the vermicelli, crushed tomatoes with juice, 1/4 cup brown sugar, vegetables, chicken and cheese. Add to a Pam sprayed casserole dish. I used one 9 X 14 inch and two 4 X 7 inch casseroles.
Sprinkle poppy seed over dish and cook covered in foil at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
Ready to eat.
Dinner tonight and two dinners in the freezer because the dish freezes and heats nicely in the microwave.
This post was edited on 4/21 at 8:51 pm