Started By
re: .

Posted on 12/28/16 at 12:55 pm to
Posted by Lima Whiskey
Member since Apr 2013
19234 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 12:55 pm to
quote:

So, in short, higher education has been completely broken and destroyed on both ends. The result of this is a generation of book smart people with zero critical thinking skills and no means of attaining the requisite 5 years experience to obtain employment which will enable them to earn a good living or blatantly communists who have no ability to handle differences of opinion because they were only taught to have and listen to one opinion, the progressive one.

Well put.

-

My primary school survived the 20th century largely unchanged, but my high school was an another matter.

It was as if there was some of revolution in the 60s, and someone had taken all the old teachers, put them up against the wall, and shot them en masse.

However it happened, someone, someone had destroyed the old culture.

There were memories of how it had been though. The old photos on the wall, the floor to ceiling plaques, listing the dead, the graduates who had served.

There was such disconnect there. You had these beautiful old buildings, this old wonderful decaying campus, and then these modern souls - with their modern ideas.

These crusaders for truth.

They were so actively hostile, they seemed to hate anything that was old and traditional. It's a surprise they hadn't demolished the whole place and put some modern monstrosity in its place. And they were so quick to update their thoughts, their correct thoughts, to the diktat of the day.

Posted by Goldrush25
San Diego, CA
Member since Oct 2012
33794 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 1:17 pm to
quote:

I want an unbiased education

There are thousands of universities out there. In the same spirit of the poster you just quoted, I would also say that I have no doubt you could find one university that fits your needs and doesn't predominately lean one way or the other.

Why do you have a need for "unbiased education" to be the norm though? That's never been the case and it never will be. We're all different.
This post was edited on 12/28/16 at 1:24 pm
Posted by PiscesTiger
Concrete, WA
Member since Feb 2004
53696 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 7:27 pm to
quote:

I hate to break it you, but Oceanography isn't Liberal Arts...Pretty weak argument blaming your poor performance on the teacher's accent.

Well you do not say? I am quite aware of what Lib Arts majors are. I was using this as a reference. I spoke in in two different paragraphs about two different things. I am sorry you don't read well and interpret and would rather try to find flaws than meaning.

And my performance based on my professor's accent is very relevant to how stupidly stupid college is -- Liberal Arts or sciences or whatever. There are more self-righteous professor douche bags than we can count. Yeah, this Japanese instructor was actually pretty even-keel, but whoever the head of the Oceanography department was in 1998 should have know better than to let him lecture when his English was pitiful. But, that is one of many examples. My main point is that university instructors, minus some great ones, are ridiculous and they promote entitlement.
This post was edited on 12/28/16 at 7:31 pm
Posted by EA6B
TX
Member since Dec 2012
14754 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 7:47 pm to
quote:

Why do you have a need for "unbiased education" to be the norm though? That's never been the case and it never will be. We're all different.

Should a college student have to assess what the political leanings of his professors are and make sure any submitted writing is slanted in that direction to avoid possible retribution in grading. This is a growing problem and individual professors engaging in the practice can be found at any school. Opposing or alternative views are not welcome in many classrooms.
Posted by Old Hellen Yeller
New Orleans
Member since Jan 2014
9417 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 7:50 pm to
quote:

Cut the social sciences departments and keep the STEM subjects.

And then burn all the books!
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 3Next pagelast page
refresh

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram