Started By
re: .

Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:07 pm to
Posted by Dale51
Member since Oct 2016
32378 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:07 pm to
quote:

If this is such a problem, why don't conservative people become educated and start educating?

What do you mean?

In your mind, what is the "starting point" for conservatives to "become educated"?

Paint a picture, if you would, expressing the traits that you believe conservatives have that need to be modified in order to start this process of "getting educated".

Thanks
Posted by Mulat
Avalon Bch, FL
Member since Sep 2010
17517 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:09 pm to
Mandatory 2 year draft all genders
Posted by Dale51
Member since Oct 2016
32378 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:14 pm to
quote:

Wrong.

What do you disagree with? Maybe it's a question of context. Artsy endeavors can be fun, and every now and then someone can make a living off of picking a string, blowing a horn, banging on a skin, or simply bullshiting people with "deep thoughts". But in the context of a useful education, and contribution to society or a business, they are mostly surface and bare. Just my opinion, others may feel differently.
Posted by AjaxFury
In & out of The Matrix
Member since Sep 2014
9928 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:21 pm to
Lack of independent politically oriented professors in the workforce.

Thought of being a teacher at one point in my life, but realized I would be doing nothing but indoctrinating kids & if I chose a non "democratic method" of teaching my career would be at risk.

With the salaries teachers make, the risk is not worth the reward b/c don't feel can make a difference the way things are currently.
Posted by Tigerdev
Member since Feb 2013
12287 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:28 pm to
Programs shouldnt favor any political viewpoint. All subjects should be treated like a science.
Posted by Ralph_Wiggum
Sugarland
Member since Jul 2005
10667 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:28 pm to
You should be thankful there are liberal professors on campus because many of them routinely pass your favorite football and basketball players because they actually don't want to put up with your bullshite.

Those liberal professors are more likely to believe in or allow minority athletes from disadvantaged backgrounds to pass enough courses to stay eligible.

Plus you need social sciences and arts and humanities if you look at the majors of the LSU football, basketball, and baseball teams you'd have a difficult time winning the SEC and going to bowl games if you had all hard-arse conservative professors.

Now you can always go to conservative schools like Bob Jones, Oral Roberts, Liberty, and BYU if you want a conservative education. So why don't you go ahead and do that instead of bitching.
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67089 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:33 pm to
College was never meant to be job training, but education.

College was designed to teach the second sons of aristocracy and potential clergy of Europe how to think. The problem is, employers have increasingly moved from the people working jobs doing the hiring to having hiring departments made up of people who have never worked the jobs they are staffing. They then slashed their training budgets, relying on colleges or previous employers to deliver them fully trained recruits. They then are baffled at high turnover rates and difficult learning curves for recent grads. They then respond by only hiring candidates with at least 5 years experience. Then, they can't understand why they don't have more qualified applicants while recent grads struggle to convince firms to hire them so they can get aforementioned experience.

Since employers want colleges to train their new employees, STEM majors have adjusted, but Liberal Arts have not. Formerly, this type of work training was handled by employers or Vo-Tech 2 year schools or "business schools", but HR retards thought that requiring a 4 year degree with a name that sounds like the specific job they're hiring for would reduce how much training their new hires would need and give them better applicants. In the olden days of yore, a philosophy major could get hired into management at a large company, but today, his resume will never see a decision maker because the HR computer will toss it in the trash because it's not a "business" degree. No, that English major cannot apply to be a project manager (whose job is to write reports), they need a "project management" degree.

This schism created two collegiate mindsets: the how to do verses the how to think. Unfortunately, at the same time, the how to think regiment was completely replaced by two generations of progressive partisans. Rather than teaching students how to think, they began teaching them how to think LIKE THEM! Any diversity of thought was weeded out through tenure, blacklisting, and ridicule. This lead to liberal arts majors largely becoming teaching not of how to think, but what to think.

So, in short, higher education has been completely broken and destroyed on both ends. The result of this is a generation of book smart people with zero critical thinking skills and no means of attaining the requisite 5 years experience to obtain employment which will enable them to earn a good living or blatantly communists who have no ability to handle differences of opinion because they were only taught to have and listen to one opinion, the progressive one.
This post was edited on 12/27/16 at 6:40 pm
Posted by AjaxFury
In & out of The Matrix
Member since Sep 2014
9928 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:35 pm to
quote:

Now you can always go to conservative schools like Bob Jones, Oral Roberts, Liberty, and BYU if you want a conservative education. So why don't you go ahead and do that instead of bitching.

Hey.
Guess what?

I don't blindly subscribe to either political party. Independents are the last checks & balances left in the voting populace that can swing the election one way or the other, & I take that responsibility seriously.

If any party gets off message & too full of themselves, they will get checked just like the R's in 2008 & the D's in 2016.

Keep making an arse of yourself by assuming things however.

Add: you miss the forest fir the trees as usual. I don't want a "liberal" or a "conservative" education. I want an unbiased education, partisan hack.
This post was edited on 12/27/16 at 6:39 pm
Posted by AjaxFury
In & out of The Matrix
Member since Sep 2014
9928 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 6:36 pm to
quote:

So, in short, higher education has been completely broken and destroyed on both ends

Great overall post, thanks for sharing !
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67089 posts
Posted on 12/27/16 at 10:40 pm to
I guess it was such a good post that it killed the thread!
Posted by ChineseBandit58
Pearland, TX
Member since Aug 2005
42596 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 3:53 am to
quote:

I guess it was such a good post that it killed the thread!

That may be true - I want to add my kudos to the praise of your post. I am impressed with the thought process demonstrated.

Well done.
Posted by cave canem
pullarius dominus
Member since Oct 2012
12186 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 5:06 am to
I have two children in college and I considered it my job to teach critical thinking skills to them at a very young age, also cause and effect and the results of poor choices were drilled in almost daily.

It is my job to do this, not some professor who they have never met with unknown values and intentions. I am very happy to say I feel I was successful, while certainly not mini-me's they share the values and thought process they learned at an early age and are well equipped to sort their own opinions on the world as it continues to unfold around them

If you pass the buck on educating/teaching your kids these skills don't whine when someone else takes advantage of it. Way to many people are letting educators stand in as surrogate parents.
Posted by cave canem
pullarius dominus
Member since Oct 2012
12186 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 5:06 am to
dbl post
This post was edited on 12/28/16 at 7:28 am
Posted by Knight of Old
New Hampshire
Member since Jul 2007
10977 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 6:35 am to
Nice summary, kingbob.
Posted by anc
Member since Nov 2012
18066 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 6:45 am to
Tennessee came up with the zee and zir pronouns.

Alabama had an idiot president that tried to attack conservatives and it cost her a job.

Ole miss just shut down a sanctuary campus resolution.

Even the conservative public colleges of the South have growing liberal pockets.

UNC and Georgia are gone. Florida is almost gone totally leftist.
Posted by IAmReality
Member since Oct 2012
12229 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 6:48 am to
State Legislatures are the only hope of fixing them.

Any school that blatant promotes a one sided political agenda should have it's funding slashed.

Left wing ideas being discussed on college campuses is perfectly fine, but all other viewpoints should be equally welcomed and that's where the problem comes in.
This post was edited on 12/28/16 at 6:49 am
Posted by Azazello
Member since Sep 2011
3182 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 7:22 am to
This is an awesome post. Gonna copy this and save it because I get asked all the time why our company cant find people with "3-5 year experience"

Posted by CrazyCow202
New Orleans
Member since Aug 2016
266 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 9:32 am to
I hate to break it you, but Oceanography isn't Liberal Arts...Pretty weak argument blaming your poor performance on the teacher's accent.
Posted by BestBanker
Member since Nov 2011
17477 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 9:36 am to
Educators have taken a position that they are important to societal development and we've allowed it to happen.

They are overpaid, overvalued babysitters.

Bring back relevant panty-raids. Problem solved.
Posted by Loserman
Member since Sep 2007
21888 posts
Posted on 12/28/16 at 9:39 am to
Do away with Tenure.

Dismantle The Department of Education.

Stop Federal funding and guaranteeing Student Loans.
This will prevent the subsidizing of worthless degrees that have zero chance of providing you with a job other than going back in to academia.

Problem solved.
This post was edited on 12/28/16 at 9:44 am
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram