Started By
re: .

Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:31 pm to
Posted by funnystuff
Member since Nov 2012
8328 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:31 pm to
This is way, way different. It's pretty awesome actually. Technology is bad arse
Posted by The Baker
This is fine.
Member since Dec 2011
16161 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:32 pm to
(no message)
This post was edited on 1/10/21 at 8:47 pm
Posted by Captain Rumbeard
Member since Jan 2014
4077 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:35 pm to
The real problem is that once we're to that point, it's too late. That answer will be handled for us by the AI. And that ain't necessarily going to be a good thing for the species.
Posted by DavidTheGnome
Monroe
Member since Apr 2015
29160 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:39 pm to
quote:

Did you watch the video?

I've seen it. Only difference between their self checkout and Amazons is that I have to scan my stuff. In neither case is a cashier present (there's the person that always fixes it though, which I'm sure amazon will have as well).
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:39 pm to
quote:

In a few decades most Americans may not have jobs.
This possibility--along with the problems with the bloated and complex entitlement structure--have created an interesting argument for a "Universal Basic Income."

I don't feel comfortable with it on principle, but there are some compelling arguments for it. Apparently a venture capitalist firm is creating a scientific study to research it. I'm looking forward to see what the benefits and costs are in reality.
Posted by The Baker
This is fine.
Member since Dec 2011
16161 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:49 pm to
(no message)
Member since Jan 2014
4077 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:50 pm to
It's not going to be a few decades. It's already happening. We've got maybe fifteen to twenty years at best.
Posted by The Baker
This is fine.
Member since Dec 2011
16161 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:51 pm to
(no message)
Posted by The Baker
This is fine.
Member since Dec 2011
16161 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:52 pm to
(no message)
Posted by buckeye_vol
Member since Jul 2014
35236 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 8:56 pm to
quote:

It's not going to be a few decades. It's already happening. We've got maybe fifteen to twenty years at best.
I don't think (who knows though) it will happen that fast for higher-skilled and more intellectually based jobs. Although admittedly I don't know how much of the market those represent.
Posted by More&Les
Member since Nov 2012
14684 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 9:26 pm to
Just a question, in the video nobody had more than one or two items, 90% of grocery store shoppers use a buggy and place lots of items that need to be bagged or am I just gonna roll it out and dump it in my trunk?

I build grocery stores for two of the most advanced grocers in the country and I promise you, they won't be phasing out humans any time soon...
Member since Jan 2014
4077 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 10:29 pm to
quote:

I'm hopeful that space exploration will assuage some of the issues. Once that becomes profitable we'll have more jobs than we'll know what to do with and on multiple planets.

You may be right. There may be other ways people are still valuable. You have to wonder about creativity becoming much more valuable in an information economy. Art could be the next MBA. MBA's are definitely screwed for the most part. Most management will be.

We are living in the beginning stages of this transformation. If we get off this planet, it may be to escape what we've created to make our lives better before it decides we're worthless.
Posted by Ag Zwin
Member since Mar 2016
19937 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 11:24 pm to
quote:

At some point, we are no longer necessary. So what do you do with all the people?

Posted by DavidTheGnome
Monroe
Member since Apr 2015
29160 posts
Posted on 12/7/16 at 11:46 pm to
quote:

I'm sorry you don't understand the difference.

I see the difference quite clearly and I do think it's neat, but your argument is that it's going to kill cashiers jobs. I don't get checked out by a cashier as it is. They've been being killed already for years.

I'm sorry you don't understand that.
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67070 posts
Posted on 12/8/16 at 12:21 am to
This is legitimately concerning to me. I know that this was the same concern raised when mechanized agriculture largely replaced hand-picking or when the sewing machine replaced the seamstress, but this coming wave of automation feels entirely different. In the past, technology rarely fully replaced the human, it just made humans more efficient (1 could do the work of 100). However, what happens when human imput is completely obsolete? Our entire society is based on a model that soon forseably appears to be at an end. In our society we go to school to educate ourselves to get jobs which in exchange for our labors pay us wages which we use to purchase the goods and services needed to support our selves and our families. However, what happens when there are no more "jobs"? What happens once human imput is completely obsolete? Robots are more flexible, they can be smaller and stronger, they don't need breaks, they don't need to be paid health benefits, ect. What will we do once robots replace construction workers, engineers, lawyers, firefighters, soldiers, police officers, waiters, cooks, cashiers, bartenders, teachers, baristas, programmers, ect? How will we afford goods and services without jobs? How can we "strive"? Will there still be economic mobility? How will it all work?
Posted by DavidTheGnome
Monroe
Member since Apr 2015
29160 posts
Posted on 12/8/16 at 12:27 am to
I've thought about this as well and have no answer. Some people tout the idea of everyone earning basic income, having a workless society that can pursue their own ideas and dreams etc. novel, but not realistic. I don't know the answer and their may not be one.
Posted by lynxcat
Member since Jan 2008
24139 posts
Posted on 12/8/16 at 12:30 am to
Society will have to stop measuring based on work. It could be a form of Utopia if we do create so much surplus.
Posted by King Teal
The Last Banana Republic
Member since Sep 2016
988 posts
Posted on 12/8/16 at 3:29 am to
This is inevitable, but like most things, the idiots protesting in the streets because they want $15/hr to drop fries are the minority.

The majority of those workers (unfortunately the less-vocal) understand those jobs are stepping stones and would not demand a raise if it meant losing their job altogether.

Also, what was the chant from the protesters in Detroit? "We fed up" or something Someone please link the video.
Posted by stelly1025
Lafayette
Member since May 2012
8509 posts
Posted on 12/8/16 at 3:33 am to
Concept seems cool ,but will they track everything you buy and who will have access to that information?
Posted by RobbBobb
Matt Flynn, BCS MVP
Member since Feb 2007
27898 posts
Posted on 12/8/16 at 4:00 am to
quote:

Between robotics and AI probably half the jobs in our economy are going to go the same way as the cashiers.

Wait? wut?

Those shelves just magically stocked themselves? Those deli items came from a Star Trek food generator? The light bulbs changed themselves? And that spotless environment never has to be cleaned? No security?

You may not see humans on the floor, but behind some wall of mirrors there are as many employees as there was before. Monitoring the technology.

I mean you might have absorbed 4 cashiers (because that's the most Ive ever seen at my WalMart). But produce, butchers, deli, stockers will always have to be on hand
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram