re: .

Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:08 pm to
Posted by ChineseBandit58
Pearland, TX
Member since Aug 2005
42578 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:08 pm to
quote:

We can't win the war of ideas, so instead let's rig the system so we win anyway.

OH the irony.

un f'n believable you could type that.
Pearland, TX
Member since Aug 2005
42578 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:12 pm to
quote:

by that standard the actual process of going to vote is the biggest hurdle of all.

That's not hurdle - they get a free ride, a 40oz can of beer, maybe even some walking around money.

Holiday time!!!!
Posted by stat19
Member since Feb 2011
29350 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:13 pm to
quote:

$20 a day picking up cans...

Do the cans just magically turn into money? How far away is this wonderful can redemption center from his home?
Pearland, TX
Member since Aug 2005
42578 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:16 pm to
quote:

marginally attached voters on both side are less likely to go through hurdles.

Fantastic!!! - the way it should be.

We don't need ignorant lazy asses 'voting' in the first place.

Selecting the leadership of the country should not be the same as electing a homecoming maid.

I think there should be some sort of poll test - you got to know something about what you are about to vote on.

If you cannot name the 3 branches of govt you hve no business voting in the first place.
Posted by LordSaintly
Member since Dec 2005
38882 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:19 pm to
quote:

he makes $20 a day collecting cans

That is a shite load of cans.
Posted by kingbob
Sorrento, LA
Member since Nov 2010
67079 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:20 pm to
quote:

Let's assume for the sake of this question that I agree a photo ID requirement is justified. What, then, is the purpose of a separate voter registration system? Why not allow voting based on the ID alone like in ND? Or at the very least, couple the photo ID with provisions for same-day registration?

It is purely to protect party primaries. Make everything open primaries and voter registration with voter ID laws becomes completely unnecessary and redundant.
Posted by Purpleye
Westworld
Member since Nov 2010
1732 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:20 pm to
quote:

I think that anyone who does not believe in evolution is pretty far out of touch with reality, and can't make good decisions. Would it be fair for me to want to strike them from the voter rolls?

derp
Posted by member12
Bob's Country Bunker
Member since May 2008
32095 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:28 pm to
You need a register of voters legible for each district. That has to be maintained as it is at the local level. People who move away get purged and cannot return to vote, people who pass away can't use their Brother's ID and vote twice, etc.

Unless there is actually voter registration fraud going on (which I'm sure happens sometimes but is easier to identify), all a poll worker has to do is check the name on the ID to match the name on the voter roll, then check to see if the persons face matches the face in the photo ID. This already occurs in many states. Voter fraud can still occur if the poll worker does not perform their job, but such a measure would help validate that the person voting for Joe Bleaux is actually Joe Bleaux.

I don't see how obtaining a valid form of ID or actually registering to vote could in any way be interpreted honestly as a civil rights issue or a measure to disenfranchise anyone. The argument against basic voter ID laws are ludicrous and dishonest.

Democrats will support voter ID laws only when they figure out how to circumvent them to steal elections.
This post was edited on 10/29/14 at 3:35 pm
Posted by idlewatcher
County Jail
Member since Jan 2012
79069 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:48 pm to
quote:

I could build an application to check people into vote by scanning an ID, and making sure they don't double vote in less than 2 days. Its really simple thing to do.

Already used it yesterday - they scanned my license and it printed out a tab with all my info so I could sign the ledger.

They weren't a fan of my Obama Halloween costume however
Posted by Iosh
Bureau of Interstellar Immigration
Member since Dec 2012
18941 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 3:49 pm to
quote:

except it wouldn't be caught because of the manpower to go over all of that information to verify everyone only voted once
What do you mean "manpower?" It's a database. Finding duplicate values in a database is not difficult. It's not even something you need an application for. It's a built-in command (in SQL it'd be something like GROUP BY var HAVING COUNT (var) > 1).
Posted by 90proofprofessional
Member since Mar 2004
24445 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:03 pm to
quote:

Are the reasons behind it self-serving? Absolutely. Does it constitute dirty politics? Probably. None of that changes the fact that we are better off not hearing the voices of those who don't possess any form of ID, because that is indicative of traits that we should not be propagating in our society.

The remaining question then is exactly how much of a "push" to vote we as a society owe. That's what we are talking about here with all this complaining that we don't make it convenient enough for our laziest to participate.

I think allowing non-profits to exist that do all the registration work for them is more than enough. Sacrificing credible fraud protection is going too far. If the opportunity to cheat effectively is there, people will do it. Republicans too.

Question my motives all you like- if what we truly care about is disenfranchisement, then credibly catching and preventing fraud or inaccurate vote accounting is at least as important as any other priority.
Posted by Iosh
Bureau of Interstellar Immigration
Member since Dec 2012
18941 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:05 pm to
quote:

You need a register of voters legible for each district. That has to be maintained as it is at the local level. People who move away get purged and cannot return to vote, people who pass away can't use their Brother's ID and vote twice, etc.
But you register with... your driver's license number, which is what 98% of people will use as their photo ID. And if you don't have a driver's license number, then you use your social security number, which is in no way tied to your address. All you do on the registration form is provide an address and swear under penalty that it's true and correct (and presumably have to at least visit or be able to raid the mailbox to get the registration card). It's not like the registrar is running pre-verification checks on addresses or anything like that, it's just "don't fib or we'll getcha."

So what is the essential difference from just having people show up at the polling station, sign in with their ID, and swear they live in that precinct?
This post was edited on 10/29/14 at 4:07 pm
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:16 pm to
quote:

Question my motives all you like- if what we truly care about is disenfranchisement, then credibly catching and preventing fraud or inaccurate vote accounting is at least as important as any other priority.

I think there are much easier ways to catch fraud. For one, you could dye people's fingers like they do in other countries.

You could offer alternatives to ID, such as rattling off your home address. Or you DOB, two pieces of info the voter rolls have.

republicans dont care about voter fraud, they want to disenfranchise voters - its as simple as that.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:19 pm to
quote:

You could offer alternatives to ID, such as rattling off your home address. Or you DOB, two pieces of info the voter rolls have

oh no way to beat that huh? and again, I'm pretty sure eric in the OP is fricked as I'm pretty sure people who make $20 a day don't have an address...why would you disenfranchise homeless people.

simple procedure, yell out your address and they write it down on paper
Member since Mar 2004
24445 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:21 pm to
quote:

democrats dont care about voter fraud, BECAUSE they want to disenfranchise voters - its as simple as that.

as evidenced by their constant denial that it even exists, and consistently opposing methods to catch/prevent it until after being called on the potential for fraud being just another form of disenfranchisement (like you did, here)
This post was edited on 10/29/14 at 4:23 pm
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:23 pm to
quote:

oh no way to beat that huh?

its one of the ways TSA uses to screen for false ids at aiports.

if you are voting multiple times, remembering multiple addresses and DOBs would be a challenge.
quote:

I'm pretty sure eric in the OP is fricked as I'm pretty sure people who make $20 a day don't have an address.

you can use homeless shelters as an address.
Pearland, TX
Member since Aug 2005
42578 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:23 pm to
quote:

You could offer alternatives to ID, such as rattling off your home address. Or you DOB, two pieces of info the voter rolls have.

I agree with this - a legitimate voter should know how to spell his name, know his address, zip code etc.
quote:

republicans dont care about voter fraud, they want to disenfranchise voters - its as simple as that.

this is bullshitl
GOP does want to 'disenfranchise' ILLEGAL voters = and the fact that those illegal votes are overwhelmingly DEM is a symptom of the problem.

Now - if the illegals were overwhelmingly GOP, would the parties stances be reversed??

who knows - but I know my stance would be the same.
Posted by Hawkeye95
Member since Dec 2013
20293 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:24 pm to
quote:

Now - if the illegals were overwhelmingly GOP, would the parties stances be reversed??

Oh definitely.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:25 pm to
quote:

its one of the ways TSA uses to screen for false ids at aiports.
even you have to take a step back...seriously, the TSA. They're the poster child for incompetence
Member since Mar 2004
24445 posts
Posted on 10/29/14 at 4:25 pm to
quote:

who knows - but I know my stance would be the same.

right. my opinion stands despite the fact that I'm not convinced that either party is "stealing elections." I am convinced that both have no problem trying to, though
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram