Started By
re: .

Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:00 pm to
Posted by SundayFunday
Member since Sep 2011
9298 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:00 pm to
Then when would it end? Would the children born after the reparations be owed anything? How about their children?

No, this is a terrible idea that is not owed to anyone.
Posted by Volvagia
Fort Worth
Member since Mar 2006
51901 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:03 pm to
quote:

Nonrefundable tax credits are letting people who earn it keep their own money. Giving a tax credit to someone who does not pay taxes and allowing it to be transferable is in no way letting them keep their own money.

But they can pay someone get get those credits!

Hey, his title is true insofar that no one is FORCED to pay a dime.

So yes, he is.
This post was edited on 9/16/14 at 10:04 pm
Posted by LeonPhelps
Member since May 2008
8185 posts
quote:

No problem. You wouldn't owe anything and you wouldn't have to pay ANYTHING with my plan. That's the beauty of it. Paying is ENTIRELY voluntary.

You can give reparations to whomever you want now. It currently is voluntary. You are asking the government, which is funded by me and others, to give an asset, at no cost, to someone who did absolutely nothing to earn it. This is beyond egregious in principle to begin with. On principle alone it should not be done.

Then you claim it will reduce poverty? A one time transferable tax credit? Wow. It will reduce poverty about as much as that stimulus to everyone Bush issued in 2008 did, which is not at all. It also did absolutely nothing to stimulate the economy. A one time payment does nothing to reduce poverty. It will be spent, most likely on frivolous things, and they will be right back where they started.
Posted by Asgard Device
The Daedalus
Member since Apr 2011
11562 posts
quote:

No, this is a terrible idea that is not owed to anyone.

Then don't pay. Paying is voluntary. Problem solved.
Posted by Godfather1
What WAS St George, Louisiana
Member since Oct 2006
79643 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:12 pm to
0/10
Posted by ruzil
Baton Rouge
Member since Feb 2012
16895 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:13 pm to
quote:

I'm all for giving a one-time reparations package to any black person who wants them so long as they sign an agreement that for the rest of their lives and their kid's lives they will not receive a single penny's worth of welfare, unemployment, disability insurance, free lunch, housing assistance, affirmative action, disparate impact, et. al.

Wait, only blacks get these govt benefits? Wow, that sounds a bit racist to me.
Posted by deltaland
Member since Mar 2011
90560 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:52 pm to
The idea of reparations is fricking stupid. It hinges that slavery was the fault of all white people in this country and we should pay for it. The fact is, probably less than 5% of white people in this country are even directly related to slave owners considering the large plantation slave owners were a very small percentage of southerners.

Nobody alive today was alive then. No black person today has suffered because of slavery. It's a stupid concept.
Posted by LSURussian
Member since Feb 2005
126962 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:53 pm to
I'm in favor of reparations for every AA who can prove he was previously a slave.
Posted by DawgfaninCa
San Francisco, California
Member since Sep 2012
20092 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 10:55 pm to
quote:

Would you support it?

Hell no!!!

Blacks have been benefiting from Affirmative Action and diversity outreach programs for 50 years.

If they are still poor and ignorant after giving them all that then screw them.
Posted by SpidermanTUba
my house
Member since May 2004
36128 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:00 pm to
quote:

why do current african americans deserve a penny for something that happened 150 years ago?

What's the time limit on how long someone has to collect on money owed for forced slave labor? Just curious.

Should holocaust survivors and their heirs get paid for their forced labor - or is the time limit already passed for them?

This post was edited on 9/16/14 at 11:02 pm
Posted by jcole4lsu
The Kwisatz Haderach
Member since Nov 2007
30922 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:02 pm to
Well if they are dead how can they collect?
Posted by SpidermanTUba
my house
Member since May 2004
36128 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:02 pm to
quote:

I'm in favor of reparations for every AA who can prove he was previously a slave.

How come debts that I am owed pass down to my heirs - but debts that slaves are owed do not?

Posted by ZZTIGERS
Member since Dec 2007
17071 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:03 pm to
quote:

What's the time limit on how long someone has to collect on money owed for forced labor?

I think the claim ends when they(person who performed labor) become deceased.
Posted by SpidermanTUba
my house
Member since May 2004
36128 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:06 pm to
quote:

I think the claim ends when they(person who performed labor) become deceased.

Really? So if I die tomorrow, LSU doesn't have to pay my family my salary for a partial month worked? Who knew!

Posted by Carville
Sunshine, LA
Member since Jun 2014
5321 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:09 pm to
quote:

How come debts that I am owed pass down to my heirs - but debts that slaves are owed do not?
How many heirs do you have?
Posted by StrangeBrew
Salvation Army-Thanks Obama
Member since May 2009
18183 posts
quote:

Debts that you owe or debt that you are owed? Under the law of the time, the slave was not owed anything. So there is that!
Posted by soccerfüt
Member since May 2013
65617 posts
quote:

Wait, only blacks get these govt benefits? Wow, that sounds a bit racist to me.

This

And then the troubling issue of a Lenny Kravitz:

Does he get $15k as half-white or does he have to submit to a DNA test to determine how genuinely "African American" he is. And what about Obama's kids? They daddy* is first generation AA (barely) but Michelle's folks were here for the duration. Not every case is as clear cut, some would be difficult to determine when the ancestors arrived in the US, etc....

Summation of your scheme:
Play stupid games: win stupid prizes.

*POTUS Assclown
This post was edited on 9/16/14 at 11:12 pm
Posted by 2close2Gainesville
Huge
Member since Sep 2008
4795 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:12 pm to
quote:

stimulate the economy.

Would be opening rent-to-own rim and tire shop.
This post was edited on 9/16/14 at 11:19 pm
Posted by ZZTIGERS
Member since Dec 2007
17071 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:13 pm to
quote:

Really? So if I die tomorrow, LSU doesn't have to pay my family my salary for a partial month worked? Who knew!

Is there an agreement in place for that? Did you perform work for that partial month?

Regardless, what we're discussing isn't even in the realm of your example. You approve of paying people for work performed by others over 150 years ago?
Posted by 2close2Gainesville
Huge
Member since Sep 2008
4795 posts
Posted on 9/16/14 at 11:23 pm to
Ya he's a moron, and trolling you.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram