He's bluffing. Then again, maybe Obama actually has enough 'revenge' in his heart to hurt the country if he can't hurt the rich.
No, Obama is not bluffing. Here is the scenario:
1. Obama wants to go over the cliff and blame it on Republicans.
2. The middle class starts seeing their smaller checks with more withholding.
3. New Congress is installed at same time in Jan.
4. Obama presents initiative to lower middle class tax rates to 'pre- fiscal cliff' levels.
Dares GOP House to block it.
5. GOP house goes wobbly. Doesn't want to be painted as having raised taxes. So, Obama gets what he initially proposed. Bush tax rates remain in play except for the rich.
There is no way around this for the Reps. They could amend the Obama initiative to include tax cuts for the rich as well, but he would only veto that.
And don't anybody talk about bills originating in the House. Obama don't give a shite about the constitution.