Started By
re: .

Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:14 pm to
Posted by kywildcatfanone
Wildcat Country!
Member since Oct 2012
119098 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:14 pm to
So, people doing missionary work are somehow being selfish?
Posted by Ed Osteen
Member since Oct 2007
57464 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:15 pm to
60 grand for a year of class then you get to move to a foreign poverty stricken area?

This post was edited on 12/17/14 at 3:18 pm
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422310 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:15 pm to
quote:

So, people doing missionary work are somehow being selfish?

depends on their motivation, but it can happen

i am not a fan of international mission trips. you can do a lot more, cheaper, and more sustainable here

charity can help the third world, but if often fricks up the third world and leads to a net negative
Posted by ColoradoAg03
Denver, CO
Member since Oct 2012
6149 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:16 pm to

3...IWHI
This post was edited on 12/17/14 at 3:17 pm
Posted by Pettifogger
Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
Member since Feb 2012
79169 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:17 pm to
quote:

i am not a fan of international mission trips. you can do a lot more, cheaper, and more sustainable here

Eh, maybe. A lot of unreceptive people in a 1st world country.

Also, Christianity probably doesn't care about nationalism, so "America first" may not apply. I too tend to favor relief efforts here, but a lot of these folks don't see it that way and I'm alright with it.
Posted by elpolloloco
Parts Unknown
Member since Oct 2011
265 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:18 pm to
I agree with you on short term mission work being a good option. My wife and I go on a short term trip each year with our Church (Baptist). However, our Church wants persons going on the trip that are active with a ministry within the Church here. If you aren't being faithful in serving locally, I don't see where you will be successful serving abroad. Just my $.02.
Posted by SlowFlowPro
Simple Solutions to Complex Probs
Member since Jan 2004
422310 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:20 pm to
i am not a big fan of direct charity here, either. building sustainable economic avenues is the only real way to help

unless you're building a sweat shop or some other industry requiring low-skilled labor, and you're willing to invest all that money and live out there in squalor, you're not going to help out that much long-term. hell, odds are in those countries the very issue that makes the people poor (oppressive states) will not allow you to do exactly what you need to do

you can do things here, though
Posted by CQQ
Member since Feb 2006
17048 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:22 pm to
That's another thing that gets me. They sold their house and moved in with my parents. My dad had surgery shortly after. Not once did my BIL offer to cut his yard. I had to do it. Now, I didn't mind but how can you say this is your calling when you dont lift a finger for your own family?
Posted by Pettifogger
Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone
Member since Feb 2012
79169 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:22 pm to
quote:

unless you're building a sweat shop or some other industry requiring low-skilled labor, and you're willing to invest all that money and live out there in squalor, you're not going to help out that much long-term. hell, odds are in those countries the very issue that makes the people poor (oppressive states) will not allow you to do exactly what you need to do

From a charitable perspective, yes. From a evangelism perspective, the ambitions are clearly different.
Posted by CidCock
Member since Sep 2007
Member since Feb 2011
8631 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:24 pm to
I have gone to Nicaragua for 1 week, it's great. I fund raise a little (people like to contribute), but it usually costs me around $1k. I do adopt a kid down there and its always good to see him.

My $25/month goes a lot farther down there than it would here...

but yeah, can't imagine leaving for an extended period of time
Posted by DingLeeBerry
Member since Oct 2014
10894 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:25 pm to
I am all for foreign mission work, but $30K to go to a training center in Tijuana sounds a little odd. You sure they are going to learn to be drug runners?
Posted by anc
Member since Nov 2012
18039 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:25 pm to
quote:

I agree with you on short term mission work being a good option. My wife and I go on a short term trip each year with our Church (Baptist). However, our Church wants persons going on the trip that are active with a ministry within the Church here. If you aren't being faithful in serving locally, I don't see where you will be successful serving abroad. Just my $.02.

And worth much more than $.02

I have a nephew who goes to a Christian school. They are planning to send 10th graders on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic. There is no way 10th graders are equipped to do mission work. I asked him over Thanksgiving what he looked forward to and it was the great beaches he's heard about.

Yes, my brother and sister-in-law paid $3k for this trip, as did about 25 other parents. That's ~$75,000 could have done a lot in their local area.
Posted by CQQ
Member since Feb 2006
17048 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:26 pm to
Look up Radius International, that's the program
Posted by I Love Bama
Alabama
Member since Nov 2007
37701 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:29 pm to
quote:

Help me understand international mission work

I agree with a lot about what you're saying. Although seeing some of the living conditions these people are in will completely change you as a person and shake your core values.

I know it did me and everyone I was with.
Posted by anc
Member since Nov 2012
18039 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:29 pm to
quote:

From a charitable perspective, yes. From a evangelism perspective, the ambitions are clearly different.

But here's the problem. It might be a stodgy way to look at things but its my opinion.

If you go to a impoverished area and give bible lessons or whatever before you give food and water, of course the people are going to "convert." They don't care about the bible lesson, they care about eating. That can be accomplished through simply giving the money.

Of course I am Calvinist, so I believe the Holy Spirit leads who he wants to follow Christ.
Posted by LSUZombie
A Cemetery Near You
Member since Apr 2008
28902 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:31 pm to
quote:

60 grand for a year of class then you get to move to a foreign poverty stricken area?

#whiteprivilege or #crimingwhilewhite?

Posted by anc
Member since Nov 2012
18039 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:32 pm to
quote:

Look up Radius International, that's the program

Radius is a fine program for this. The point is that your sister and her husband may not be receiving a true call for this type of work. The fact that you are questioning it may in fact be God's way of telling them that it isn't.

Bluntly:

They need to be sure this is what they are supposed to do, rather than something they are doing to fill the void of not being able to get pregnant.

Posted by CQQ
Member since Feb 2006
17048 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:36 pm to
What do you suggest? They seem pretty damn convinced. I'm not going to beg them to stay here and drive them away or make them not want to return.

This isn't just my sister, she has a husband so it's their business. I'm just struggling with it because I personally don't see the logic in selling everything, paying for this school, and going to these places. Not without some concrete data to say hey, give us this $, we'll teach you these things, send you to these places, and your success rate will be roughly xx %.

You ask them what they'll be doing and they say they don't know, that's why they're going to the school.
This post was edited on 12/17/14 at 3:37 pm
Posted by anc
Member since Nov 2012
18039 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:41 pm to
quote:

You ask them what they'll be doing and they say they don't know, that's why they're going to the school.

That's what stood out to me. Personally, I would speak to their home pastor to make sure their home church is validating the call. I have never known of a church to validate a call for someone that would answer "I don't know, that's why we are going to school," but nothing would surprise me anymore.

It shouldn't be about your desire for them to stay here. It should be about whether this is the right thing for them. Ask them what happens if in two years they aren't placed (Happens a lot). They are going to come back to nothing and have to start over.

One of the things they will do in school is learn fluency in a foreign language. Some people can't get it. What happens if they can't? They won't be placed. What happens if your sister gets it and your brother in law doesn't? They won't be placed.

What happens if your sister doesn't agree with the water in Tijiuana and stays sick 3 weeks a month? She can't attend classes. They won't be placed.

Have they been on a short term trip yet? Like a 2 week trip somewhere?
This post was edited on 12/17/14 at 3:45 pm
Posted by swampdawg
Baton Rouge, LA
Member since Nov 2007
5141 posts
Posted on 12/17/14 at 3:45 pm to
quote:

QQ

Have you asked them if they have considered the Peace Corps? If their goal is to do good in "unreached" places, this seems like a more reputable way to go. If they want to prosthelytize to these "unreached" then whatever.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram