Insurance covers theft.
This was UNBELIEVABLY STUPID. Certainly Darwin Award material.
1. The student pilot did not have a license
2. As a student pilot he was expressly forbidden to carry passengers (unless someone else was acting as pilot in command)
3. Didn't have a multiengine rating (probably had never flown anything other than a single before)
4. Had no IFR rating (he could only safely fly when he could see the horizon)
5. Took off AT NIGHT (which ratchets everything up a notch) with a low overcast ceiling.
It is absolutely no surprise whatsoever that he almost immediately lost control and crashed. Sad that he took two other teenagers with him.
Some kind of way, Bama's gonna claim a Title over this.
father is an Alabama state trooper and member of the Alabama National Guard who is currently serving in Afghanistan