Posted on 9/9/14 at 7:41 am to
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 7:41 am to
they don't, and it doesn't matter

every single journalist was told by the NFL that they had reviewed the tape

Mortensen went as far as getting a detailed description and putting it to print. This cannot be undone...the NFL is lying. Worse, they willfully and knowingly engaged in a smear campaign against a victim of domestic violence. They interviewed her with Ray Rice present, which is highly inappropriate...I could go on all day.

we're really going to test the brand invincibility of the NFL here. Everyone knows what they did, regardless of whether they're willing to pretend it didn't happen. Question is, are we willing to pretend it didn't happen

will be interesting to see
Posted by thejudge
Westlake, LA
Member since Sep 2009
14061 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 7:50 am to
I found my old arse twitter account to tweet to mikeandmikes lame arse that is ray rice would have put a bounty on her he'd had a harsher initial penalty.

Mother frickers
Posted by goatmilker
Castle Anthrax
Member since Feb 2009
64347 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 8:23 am to
I believe Rodg knows where all the bones the owners have buried over the years are.

Most don't realize that RG in the last two years made 74 MILLION bucks.
74 million.

LINK
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 8:25 am to
I don't think there are any real bones, other than the ones he has buried

the league has zero integrity or credibility under goodell.

he's lying. He's been caught lying, and what does he do? doubles down on lying

he is a PR smear artist. It's the only thing he's done since he's been in the league

Posted by bountyhunter
North of Houston a bit
Member since Mar 2012
6334 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 8:52 am to
It's not Goodell's fault, his decision-making ability was impeded by the effects of the ice bucket challenge.
Posted by mark65mc
Baton Rouge
Member since Dec 2007
11281 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 9:03 am to
The only way for the owners and league to save credibility is to fire Goodell. The interim commissioner has to be Tagliabue. That move would bring credibility back to the NFL.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 9:06 am to
quote:

The only way for the owners and league to save credibility is to fire Goodell. The interim commissioner has to be Tagliabue. That move would bring credibility back to the NFL.

probably the only good move at this point, they'll survive this obviously without a nickel lost, but now the relationship between the fans is irreparable

the media might heel, but we all know what he did, and we'll never believe another word out of NYC...this resentment is the first step in declining interest and revenue...I'm telling you in 10 years, the NFL isn't going to be the juggernaut it is now, and it is shite like this that will be their undoing

I don't think the NFL is as strong as it was 8 years ago. the momentum from Tagliabue's work is still carrying the revenue up, but the interest is starting to decline.
Posted by rantfan
new iberia la
Member since Nov 2012
14110 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 9:14 am to
Goodell is the new teflon don . Nothing wil happen to him ...unfortunatly
Posted by Ldrake53
Member since Feb 2013
2171 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:08 am to
FM: do you think that Roger Goodell's obvious manipulation of the media and his heavy handed and orchestrated responses during Bountygate exposed his true self, making him vunerable to all the criticism he is receiving now? That he showed his hand so much and so often in his media campaign to demonize Payton and The Saints that everyone now knows how he operates?

This post was edited on 9/9/14 at 11:10 am
Posted by Godfather1
What WAS St George, Louisiana
Member since Oct 2006
79682 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:26 am to
quote:

every single journalist was told by the NFL that they had reviewed the tape

What trips me out is that they had to have known that Harvey Levin/TMZ was on this. There was no way this wasn't coming out.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:26 am to
absolutely, whether people realize it or not, they are interconnected

bountygate destroyed his credibility and had people questioning the motives, tactics and day to day dealings of the NFL

that's why no one believes him except his two biggest lackeys (peter king and florio)

that, and he's been caught red handed in a lie

you put it quite well, it's impossible to not look at this through the prism of bountygate
Posted by Ldrake53
Member since Feb 2013
2171 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:41 am to
There is no way Florio believes him; he is just choosing to ignore his self proclaimed bullshite meter for crass and mercenary reasons. King as well.

I know we shouldnt hold out much hope that the sports media will do the right thing, and report fairly on Goodells craven self interest over justice, but damn, don't these people have any self respect?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:49 am to
florio is so full of shite, he told me he took bountygate at first because he couldn't see a motive for the NFL to blow the whistle on themselves...really?

then here, he is just accepting what he's told despite not having ONE good journalistic reason to. He's close with peter king, a known league mouthpiece. If you're familiar with his work (been on PFT since 04) you know he's towing the line...no way given his history he believes what he has been writing...it's sad because PFT was hands down the best NFL site...the best.
quote:

know we shouldnt hold out much hope that the sports media will do the right thing

their choices are pretty terrible. Admit to faulty info and take it, lose credibility, or blast them. There's really no middle ground to take for them. Schefter is stepping up and I respect the hell out of him. I actually just gained a whole lot of lost respect for ESPN period. Mort is trying to wiggle out amicably, but he's in the worst position. Read his reports from last month...the league saw those tapes. Not one doubt in my mind, and they have 100% beyond a reasonable doubt lied. either they said they saw it and didn't (yet still worked the PR strings as if the video was gracious to RR) or they saw it and are now saying they did

you can't undo the print from last month. They all reported it (mort in exceptional detail)

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:51 am to
I would gain a whole lot of respect for a lot of people, if they'd refuse their orders this time around. Bountygate is one thing...this is a matter of moral fiber in addition to integrity/ethics...I'm considering being done with it all, if the media doesn't at least pursue this until the end.

I expect goodell to lie, he's the leach ruining something I care about. I want him gone. If everyone is willing to turn a 100% blind eye to it, I'm finished with every bit of it...fantasy football, sunday ticket, etc.
Posted by Ldrake53
Member since Feb 2013
2171 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 11:59 am to
The most cogent argument you make is that in reality the NFL hired a PR man, a spin doctor, to run a gazillion dollar business; Tags as an attorney was trained to look at issues from every angle. Goodell is blinded by both hubris and the lessons he learned in Marketing 101. The complexities of navigating such a business in today's environment are beyond him.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 12:04 pm to
I make a lot of cogent arguments, I've made that argument since spygate

he doesn't know shite about business, growing revenue, maximizing profits, business strategy shite...he only knows marketing

and it's so funny that he sucks so bad at it...there is almost no long term plan...he gets busted with a lie, make another one, paste some shite together

when I lie, I consider all of the rebuttals and contradictions...you know, because I know I'm lying and the only thing worse is being caught in a lie.

Posted by Ldrake53
Member since Feb 2013
2171 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 12:26 pm to
Goodell growing revenue = make Katy Perry pay for SB performance.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 12:37 pm to
yeah, that's a great instance of what I'm talking about

He's not looking at a shift to PPV broadcasts and selling the advertisements themselves (vertical integration), he doesn't know how to expand internationally without hosting games in London or trying to move a team overseas, he doesn't know shite...it's lets get a cut of their tour, let's put wi fi in the stadiums, and on and on, let's attract women by putting pink on the field (derp), and on and on with immaterial ways of growing. Let's change overtime, let's make XPs further out, let's have safety conscious rules. the one thing he shouldn't mess with is the product. Tags and the CC already did an adjustment in 04 that was big...minor changes, to one aspect. He's just trying to make a mark for the sake of it.

I'm not saying my ideas are good, but goodell has not contributed one iota to the popularity and growth of the league...he's hurt it, and it's a matter of time before the numbers show
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 12:45 pm to
as far as how much he's damaged the league

2006 - united way commercials
2014 - suspensions, bountygate, violence, drugs

he's been a disaster in his area of "expertise"
Posted by Fontainebleau Dr.
Mid-View New Orleans
Member since Dec 2012
2400 posts
Posted on 9/9/14 at 12:56 pm to
quote:

he doesn't know how to expand internationally without hosting games in London or trying to move a team overseas

Exactly. The easiest way to expand international interest in American Football would be to simplify the game. Yet all the league has done during the Goodell tenure is complicate the games (in-game rules-wise) to the point where it's nearly impossible to figure out what's going on in a game unless you're a dyed in the wool football fan. If i'm some random dude in Germany possibly interested in American Football, i'd watch one pre-season game and be like, "frick this shite."

I know i'm not the only one who got exasperated trying to explain the "new" overtime rules -- again -- to his wife this past Sunday, only to be greeted with blank stares.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram