Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:04 pm to
Posted by goatmilker
Castle Anthrax
Member since Feb 2009
64322 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:04 pm to
quote:

but left us unable to retain nicks

At the biggest contract ever for a guard? And you bitch about Brees contract. Holy sh!t.

quote:

Yeah, he didn't know manning was going to sign a monster deal, but it's his job to plan for shite like that

How the f@ck do you plan for that which you don't know is going to be paid by another team? Can't wait to hear this.

quote:

reason with him

To take less than the market says?
Please...when you know how to do this if your really a saints fan please go tell Loomis. Or any GM for that matter will pay you well to have that ability.

Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166246 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:06 pm to
quote:

so many ways loomis fricked this up

1. he waited...which not only upped the price but left us unable to retain nicks
2. he gave tons of shite contracts beforehand. Yeah, he didn't know manning was going to sign a monster deal, but it's his job to plan for shite like that
3. reason with him, pay him the same, but tell him you cannot go down for 20 in the first 2 seasons because I'm a retard with a history of giving mediocre to below average players monster deals

that's what it cost to keep him and yes you do it, but everything else was fricked. This is before we get to the part where I tell you only one qb gets that money because he will drag your team to 13 wins every year...and that qb isn't drew brees.

i want in on this.

Now.

What the frick are you saying?
Posted by goatmilker
Castle Anthrax
Member since Feb 2009
64322 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:12 pm to
What if your QB gets you 13 but loses 1st playoff?
What if your QB gets you 9 wins but loses Super Bowl?
What if your QB plays for peanuts wins you a Super Bowl gets market value then gets crapped on by fans?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:22 pm to
quote:

At the biggest contract ever for a guard? And you bitch about Brees contract. Holy sh!t.

franchise tag. I'm not bitching about drew. I'm bitching about loomis. Once you have drew on the books you have a year to get something done with nicks, and our run game went to shite the moment nicks left. why? he is the best guard in the NFL...too bad Tampa is nasty as shite

quote:

How the f@ck do you plan for that which you don't know is going to be paid by another team? Can't wait to hear this.

this goes under the heading of not waiting until the last fricking second. He knew the colts were about to make manning the highest paid player, and he fricking sat on it. Fine, want to wait it out...I'm sure drew did. great, but his shite contracts to players like smith, grant, harper over the years fricked us. and not getting it done soon enough really fricked us. If you're going to wait until the last possible second, at least have your shite in order.

quote:

To take less than the market says

I'm fine with paying drew...he is no manning, despite all of my wishes, but at least have your ducks in a row...loomis waited until the last possible second and still

Posted by goatmilker
Castle Anthrax
Member since Feb 2009
64322 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:27 pm to
If the agent don't want to sign Loomis can't force them to.
Period.
Its called leverage and the Brees camp HAD IT ALL.
They got the deal they wanted. Then signed.
Blame Loomis all you want. He's made plenty of blunders in the past but this was not one of them unless you suggest they should have let him walk.

Maybe your right.

quote:

I'm fine with paying drew

You said it was a bad deal that set this franchise back?

We should have it all. Millions and millions to spend. Any free agent we want. Draft picks out the arse. A future hall of fame QB who never has a bad game and plays for cheap. And a GM who never screws up. And if the fans want to settle for less then I quess we can't help them.

This post was edited on 1/13/14 at 3:33 pm
Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166246 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:29 pm to
Loomis got drew for the lowest amount possible. THere are probably many more organizations that would have paid a bit more to have avoided the pr drama that went on.
Posted by Geauxgurt
Member since Sep 2013
10456 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:31 pm to
quote:

so many ways loomis fricked this up

1. he waited...which not only upped the price but left us unable to retain nicks
2. he gave tons of shite contracts beforehand. Yeah, he didn't know manning was going to sign a monster deal, but it's his job to plan for shite like that
3. reason with him, pay him the same, but tell him you cannot go down for 20 in the first 2 seasons because I'm a retard with a history of giving mediocre to below average players monster deals

You realize that it was Brees that was refusing to sign an extension before that season, right? The Saints had been trying to extend him well before that. Brees and Brees alone cost the Saints Nicks.

Posted by 4thandinches
River Ridge
Member since Apr 2012
2395 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:33 pm to
quote:

for that money, a qb needs to carry the team...manning does it, brees doesn't. He's still great, just not worth that kind of annual dough in terms of performance.

So we let Brees walk? Then who plays? Ryan Griffin?
Posted by Geauxgurt
Member since Sep 2013
10456 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:34 pm to
quote:

What if your QB plays for peanuts wins you a Super Bowl gets market value then gets crapped on by fans?

Where are these peanuts that Brees got that people speak of all the time. Dude got $60 Million when no one knew if his shoulder would hold up.

He got a lot better than any other team was offering, especially considering he had only 2 suitors in 2006. Just because a couple of teams were stupid and offered awful QBs similar deals years later doesn't mean Drew got peanuts.

$60 million for a player coming off a major injury and only 2 good years is not peanuts.
Posted by goatmilker
Castle Anthrax
Member since Feb 2009
64322 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:37 pm to
It turned out to be peanuts. I can't help you either.
I stand by "peanuts" when comparing what he was getting paid compared to others. Just asked J Russell and that QB that can't get it done in detroit.

Peanuts.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 3:51 pm to
It does set the franchise back

It is a cap killer

However, it would be more manageable without all the other shite

I'm fine with paying him that because we suck balls and the fanbase would be devestated if he left, but let's stop pretending that contract isn't a detriment

He has 3-4 more years left in him and he isn't getting another monster deal from us. Time to start planning for the future

Drew is still great, but the saints are not winning another title with that contract on the books with the current cap. Good for drew, I'd have done the same. But it all falls on him,
He is the team, that's what he wanted. When the team fails it's drew's fault. Oh the defense, the line, the receivers...drew's fault. He wants another championship it has to be all him.

No more bullshite, working hard, etc. Everytime he takes a sack because we spend nothing at the tackle positions, it's on him.

We lost because drew didn't do enough. Given his cap figure, enough is nothing short of excellence.
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
110820 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 4:59 pm to
quote:

but let's stop pretending that contract isn't a detriment 

compared to what?
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 5:33 pm to
Saying "no"

frick, at least bluff

I know I know. The shel school of negotiation. Give them what they want because you've left every other option off the table

Personally, I'd say no, franchise him. Let him hold out, look like a jackass and hit his pristine image.

I love how saying "no" is never an option. We didn't do dick with him at that absurd number and we're about 3 years away from life after drew anyway.
Posted by Lovethutigahs
New Orleans, La
Member since Apr 2004
945 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 5:52 pm to
We have some really dumbass "fans", and I use fans loosely
Posted by St Augustine
The Pauper of the Surf
Member since Mar 2006
64184 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 5:53 pm to
Easy bro. Let's bring this back to a hypothetical Gordon far thread. I've been on the trade for Gordon train for awhile.

Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 5:58 pm to
I'm not a drew brees fan, I'm a saints fan. And we're not winning a Super Bowl unless brees restructures or retires

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact.

We have 3 more seasons with drew, and then it's over. 5 years of great QB play and no titles.

Posted by Lester Earl
Member since Nov 2003
278321 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 6:12 pm to
quote:

It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact.

since its you saying this, I like our chances. You're almost always wrong
Posted by Chad504boy
4 posts
Member since Feb 2005
166246 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 6:14 pm to
Fox's opinion is getting difficult to tolerate
Posted by shel311
McKinney, Texas
Member since Aug 2004
110820 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 6:24 pm to
quote:

I know I know. The shel school of negotiation. Give them what they want because you've left every other option off the table
What gives you that idea?

quote:

frick, at least bluff
You don't think we did?

quote:

Personally, I'd say no, franchise him. Let him hold out, look like a jackass and hit his pristine image.
And then 1 year later, we're in the same boat and signing him to the same exactly deal, but at a worst value because he's 1 year older?

quote:

I love how saying "no" is never an option
So, are you insinuating that at the time, not signing him to the current deal was a better option? That's what I'm reading, correct me if I'm wrong?

If his current deal is a "detriment", and you are saying we could have said "no", I take that to mean saying "no" would have been not as a big of a detriment.

So....
Posted by Lester Earl
Member since Nov 2003
278321 posts
Posted on 1/13/14 at 6:29 pm to
yea, he's a troll.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 3Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram