re: .

Posted on 4/16/15 at 10:35 am to
Posted by 504Voodoo
New Orleans
Member since Aug 2012
13531 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 10:35 am to
quote:

think defense is more of an issue than offense.

A team with defenders such as Cole, Holiday, Gordon, AD, QPon, and Asik should not struggle so much on D. I believe a training camp and more reps on the court should help with this. We haven't had this many capable defenders since CP3 era. Granted, this is assuming we keep Asik
Posted by chesty
Flap City C.C.
Member since Oct 2012
12731 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 11:46 am to
monty coached his dick off, him and dell really have done a good job at putting together a team with some pretty tough constraints.. Plus, with all the injuries and getting some effective Veteran's by getting rid of some trade bait IE Rivers, it's been great
Posted by corndeaux
Member since Sep 2009
9634 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 11:52 am to
Monty should be commended for getting into the playoffs. Win or go home game, they played very very well. The team seems to genuinely like him and that counts for something.

But I doubt he's the long term answer. Doesn't mean you can him right now. TBW or BSS asked if Monty was Randy Wittman or Kevin McHale. I still lean towards Wittman. I'd be leery of giving him a big extension.
Posted by Galactic Inquisitor
An Incredibly Distant Star
Member since Dec 2013
15169 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 11:56 am to
quote:

team with defenders such as Cole, Holiday, Gordon, AD, QPon, and Asik should not struggle so much on D

They haven't. The defensive struggles, for the most part, happened on a team without Cole, Holiday, or QPon.

As a counterpoint, how well do you expect a team with the following to defend:

Tyreke Evans
Austin Rivers
Luke Babbitt
Ryan Anderson
Alexis Aninca
Posted by CQQ
Member since Feb 2006
17048 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 12:41 pm to
You're right Corndeaux but depending on how this series and next season go, we may have him for a while. Tough to deny the love these players seem to have for him. His biggest fan is our superstar player.

I hope he doesn't make me regret this post by getting blown out in 4 straight but I'll remember last night for a long time. I was happy he was our coach.

He might not be great or even good to some but to finally see him kind of break out of his shell was great. I know I'm overanalyzing here but he looked as geared up and focused as our players last night.
Posted by whatiknowsofar
hm?
Member since Nov 2010
20943 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 12:54 pm to
I don't think you're over analyzing. Last night was the most cathartic thing that could happen to this entire team/fan base/ organization.

I'm riding with Monty. frick the haters.

If we can develop a winning mentality this year we can make real noise next year. Hell I'm still not totally convinced we'll lose to the Warriors.
Posted by KindaRaw
Member since Jun 2014
3963 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 12:58 pm to
100% agree with everything you said CQQ. I have been a huge critic of Monty for the wrong reasons. He has really done a fantastic job with what we have had to deal with in the form of our best players being injured. I'm actually really surprised how far we have come in the last 3 years. Every year we have been improving upon the last. It's all thanks to that CP3 trade really.
Posted by corndeaux
Member since Sep 2009
9634 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 3:56 pm to
Absolutely. Monty does seem to have much of the big picture things going for him. Some of the quotes in the Davis features were just great. And obviously the Anderson feature showed how good of a person he is.

I don't think he's going anywhere next year. I don't think they should move him unless they have a target they know they want. Like you say, Davis loves him. You don't rock the boat for no reason.

It will be interesting to see how he does v GSW. I'm very curious to see how the offense holds up under playoff scrutiny.
Posted by TigerinATL
Member since Feb 2005
61456 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 4:06 pm to
quote:

I'm very curious to see how the offense holds up under playoff scrutiny.

This is what I'm most anxious to see too. We have a lot of evidence of Monty being good at offense, the high offensive rating, guys like Zach Lowe always talking about the neat sets he has, and Monty leading the league in points out of timeouts. But this team seems to be so bad at dealing with pressure defense. Take away the easy stuff and they don't seem to know what to do.
This post was edited on 4/16/15 at 4:07 pm
Posted by LosLobos111
Austere
Member since Feb 2011
45385 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 4:09 pm to
Maybe jrue coming back will help
Posted by TigerinATL
Member since Feb 2005
61456 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 4:18 pm to
We've already seen that a little bit. Jrue's scoring very efficiently and 83% of his makes are unassisted. He can create his own shot, or rather it doesn't take much of a pick to get him open and shoot off the dribble which he's pretty good at.
Posted by S
RIP Wayde
Member since Jan 2007
155451 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 4:48 pm to
i think he's earned another year, for sure regardless of what happens, demps i would say for sure.

the fact he's lasted five years this day in age is kind of surprising. he hasn't had a sustained roster to work with since the cp3/west era came to an end after year 1 and with all the injuries the pelicans have dealt with i would say they deserve a lot of credit for getting over the line and into the playoffs.

i think as fans, we all have a pretty good grasp on monty. if the roster continues to evolve the right way and the days of james posey and selling draft picks are behind us and they continue to build off of the positive moves they've made i think he can have some sustained success. never been a huge monty fan but i kind of like him with this group.
Posted by corndeaux
Member since Sep 2009
9634 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 5:39 pm to
quote:

Take away the easy stuff and they don't seem to know what to do.

Yeah. This graph from Nylon Calculus is interesting and gets at that a bit, I think.

Not a lot of ball movement, not a lot of player movement. Can they bend good defenses enough? Simple Evans/Davis high PnR is good because of the talent running it, but is it good enough to work on a Warriors defense that switches everything with plus defenders in Green, Iguodala, and Thompson plus a DPOY candidate in Bogut backing them up?

quote:

jrue coming back will help

Definitely. He's not great, but he is light years better than having Cole run the point. Having a core guy to play with the 2 makes a world of difference. If he's out and we see no Gordon, Evans, or Davis with the 2s, Monty has some explaining to do.
Posted by TheJruth
New Orleans - Baton Rouge
Member since Jul 2014
323 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 6:03 pm to
I've always wondered how good Monty is at offense vs. how talented the players are. At the end of the day, that's the real question imo. Seems like to often our offense is predicated on just the brut force of talent of either AD or Evans. Other than that, I haven't been overly impressed with anything.

It's kind of like saying Houston's coach is a good offensive coach. It may be true but its impossible to really tell bc James Harden is so fricking good.
Posted by quail man
New York, NY
Member since May 2010
40925 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 6:07 pm to
quote:

If either of them gets fired after this year, the franchise will catch a large amount of warranted flack from the media.

spurs guys last night were really praising the job Monty has done. they aren't alone. lots of other commentators (i'm forced to watch opposing team streams a lot) say the same thing. monty has done a hell of a job with what's been thrown at him.
Posted by Galactic Inquisitor
An Incredibly Distant Star
Member since Dec 2013
15169 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 6:08 pm to
Our offense was solid with Greivis Vasquez and Aminu starting. The guy understands offense.
Posted by Sheep
Neither here nor there
Member since Jun 2007
19490 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 7:18 pm to
quote:

I'm riding with Monty. frick the haters.

During a 4th(?) quarter stoppage, they played a pre-recorded "Thanks for everything, New Orleans" type of message from Monty and the place went nuts. If Mike Krzyzewski and Jerry Colangelo think highly of Monty, that's good enough for me.

#MilesforMonty
#RideforMonty
#FlapCity
#PoundSign
Posted by TigerinATL
Member since Feb 2005
61456 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 8:28 pm to
I really hope he can get a handle on the strategy and rotations (or hire an assistant who can), because he certainly has some strengths.

quote:

Not long after New Orleans’ 108-103 win over San Antonio that extended the season Wednesday, fifth-year head coach Monty Williams divided his 14 players in the Pelicans’ locker room into two groups, based on whether they’d ever been to the NBA playoffs. The seven Pelicans without a postseason appearance were then told to meet their seven experienced teammates on the other side of the room, a symbolic gesture that ignited what was already a raucous celebration.

“He put all the guys who’ve been in the playoffs on one side, and the guys who haven’t on the other side, and then we welcomed them in,” explained guard Norris Cole, a two-time NBA champion with Miami. “We welcomed them to the playoffs. It was fun. It was a brotherhood moment that we had. It was special.”

“(Williams) said (to the first-timers), ‘Come on over,’ ” said guard Jrue Holiday, a playoff veteran with Philadelphia. “It’s definitely a team atmosphere. We all made it to the playoffs together.”

LINK
Posted by StrongSafety
Member since Sep 2004
17547 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 8:29 pm to
He's almost like a quasi-father like figure of a coach. Watching him dance like a dad last night was hilarious

His coaching style, and the connection with his players reminds me of John Thompson, Chuck Daly, and Larry Brown. guys love him like he was their father. It's rare at the NBA level and it is nice to see a guy that genuinely cares and loves each of his players.

I think about guys like Dante Cunningham, would almost had his career derailed and how Monty took a chance on him when no one else would. Or guys like Ryna Anderson, who he cried with him his girl commuted suicide. There's a real love there, and despite his ongoing development as a in game tactician, we are truly blessed to have one of the better people in basketball as our leader .

Honestly, he's the right type of guy to have around AD as he blossoms. Guys won't let him down
Posted by sma19
New Orleans
Member since Dec 2011
335 posts
Posted on 4/16/15 at 8:49 pm to
quote:

His coaching style, and the connection with his players reminds me of John Thompson, Chuck Daly, and Larry Brown. guys love him like he was their father. It's rare at the NBA level and it is nice to see a guy that genuinely cares and loves each of his players.

I think about guys like Dante Cunningham, would almost had his career derailed and how Monty took a chance on him when no one else would. Or guys like Ryna Anderson, who he cried with him his girl commuted suicide. There's a real love there, and despite his ongoing development as a in game tactician, we are truly blessed to have one of the better people in basketball as our leader .

Honestly, he's the right type of guy to have around AD as he blossoms. Guys won't let him down

This is the greatest argument I have heard for Monty Williams. I was on the fence with him and it honestly changed my mind. To think that we could have the culture of a College team with that level of brotherhood and that style of coach is incredible. The possibilities of that kind of bond with this kind of talent are endless.

This team is gonna be so fricking good. I hope that Monty continues to grow, because if he can maintain that level of game management that we saw against the Spurs. He could be Great.
first pageprev pagePage 3 of 4Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram