Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:07 pm to
Posted by CadesCove
Mounting the Woman
Member since Oct 2006
40828 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:07 pm to
quote:

I always feel so sorry for poor fredo.

I felt sorry for him when The Don got shot and they didn't even think enough of Fredo to shoot him too.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:12 pm to
Posted by Tigertown in ATL
Georgia foothills
Member since Sep 2009
29188 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:15 pm to
quote:

sam carried him

Sam should have pushed him off a cliff.
Posted by Udvarnoky
Member since May 2011
741 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:16 pm to
The ultimate knife-twist is that flashback scene at the end of Part II when it shows Fredo as the only one who shakes Michael's hand and supports his decision to join the army.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:27 pm to
dude, your posts about poor fredo have me tearing up...stahp it
Posted by Ace Midnight
Between sanity and madness
Member since Dec 2006
89504 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:30 pm to
quote:

I was always curious about whether Tom Hagen was privy to this scheme, and if so what his thoughts were. Considering he was even voting against killing Roth, I'd like to think he never would have signed off on whacking family.

He wasn't a wartime consigliere. They never thought he was a bad consigliere - Santino was a bad don. But, he's out.

(For good reasons.)
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89504 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:32 pm to
quote:

I felt sorry for him when The Don got shot and they didn't even think enough of Fredo to shoot him too.

And they thought so little of him, they would rather have had him driving the Don, instead of their own inside guy.

Poor Fredo.
Posted by DelU249
Austria
Member since Dec 2010
77625 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:39 pm to
well, to be fair to poor fredo, they couldn't have their inside guy shooting at them, and he didn't want to be there with the impression he served up the don.

but yeah, you're right it's kind of sad. all fredo wanted was attention and a little respect. sonny was tough, tom was smart, Michael was both...fredo was stupid and a cowardly. he wanted to be something he wasn't, and he could never get approval.

Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89504 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 12:50 pm to
quote:

they couldn't have their inside guy shooting at them, and he didn't want to be there with the impression he served up the don.

Yeah - he got it anyway, because of Corleone connections at the phone company.

True story - De Niro was supposed to be Paulie (after failing in his audition to play Sonny) but he was traded to another production for Pacino. This freed De Niro to play young Vito in II, thus earning him his first Academy Award. The more you know, right?
Posted by USMCTiger03
Member since Sep 2007
71176 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:16 pm to
Yes. Fredo wasn't just weak, he was very jealous and self-centered. It would have only been a matter of time before he betrayed Michael again and may have been successful and when you're the Don you can't afford to take those chances.
Posted by SoDakHawk
South Dakota
Member since Jun 2014
8563 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:25 pm to
I was always under the impression that Fredo wasn't in on the attempt on Michael. He was definitely in bed with the guys who did try to hit Michael but he was not aware they were going to try to kill him. Fredo just wanted his piece but was too stupid to realize the game he was playing.

If I was Michael I would have banished him to the Old Country to live out his days under guard in a villa. Basically, send him to a mafia prison.
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89504 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:33 pm to
quote:

If I was Michael I would have banished him to the Old Country to live out his days under guard in a villa. Basically, send him to a mafia prison.

You wouldn't have lasted as Don very long, then, baw. Imagine the signal that sent. Be loyal to Michael, and you'll be alright. Cross him? Even family isn't immune to getting whacked.

(And Fredo was probably too dumb to consider what he was involved in, but the Don cannot afford to take that chance.)
Posted by Bestbank Tiger
Premium Member
Member since Jan 2005
70999 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:40 pm to
quote:

I was always under the impression that Fredo wasn't in on the attempt on Michael. He was definitely in bed with the guys who did try to hit Michael but he was not aware they were going to try to kill him. Fredo just wanted his piece but was too stupid to realize the game he was playing.

He didn't know it was going to be a hit.

But that wasn't the only betrayal. He knew the lawyer for the Senate committee was working for Hyman Roth and he didn't tell Michael.

quote:

Fredo just wanted his piece

Michael always took care of him.
Posted by LeonPhelps
Member since May 2008
8185 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:51 pm to
quote:

yes. he was dead weight. sam carried him

Based on the aristocratic society Tolkien grew up and appreciated, especially the relationship between an officer (chosen from the nobility) and his bat man (chosen from the servant class), Tolkien did not believe Sam had the innate nobility necessary to carry the ring while resisting its influence. In the end, not even Frodo did, but he made it a lot farther than Sam ever would have.
Posted by pvilleguru
Member since Jun 2009
60453 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:52 pm to
I thought this thread was going to about Idiocracy.
Posted by Peazey
Metry
Member since Apr 2012
25418 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 1:59 pm to
Nah. The only leverage that Fredo had was that Michael trusted him. With that gone he was too weak to be a threat. Killing him was entirely vengeance.

It's sort of the theme of Michael's arc in the Godfather. Everything is supposed to be about family. But Michael gets so wrapped up that he ends up destroying the family that he was supposed to be protecting.
Posted by SoDakHawk
South Dakota
Member since Jun 2014
8563 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 2:01 pm to
quote:

You wouldn't have lasted as Don very long, then, baw. Imagine the signal that sent. Be loyal to Michael, and you'll be alright. Cross him? Even family isn't immune to getting whacked.

Signal sent to whom? By that time Michael had wiped out his enemies. Roth was dead and Michael had won. Michael didn't need to kill Fredo. Bansihment would have been just fine.

Killing Fredo didn't stop guys from still coming after him in Part 3. You would think that killing your own brother would come across as so stone cold that nobody would ever want to F with Michael again, but yet they did.
Posted by Peazey
Metry
Member since Apr 2012
25418 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 2:04 pm to
quote:

Michael always took care of him.

Taken care of him? He's his kid brother and he takes care of him? Did he ever think about that? Hah? Did he ever once think about that?
This post was edited on 10/9/15 at 2:05 pm
Posted by TXGunslinger10
Houston, TX
Member since Jun 2011
17995 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 2:04 pm to
In hindsight it's pretty clear that Michael had no way to predict the psychological harm he would do to himself by making that decision.

With Roth dying and Johnny Ola dead Fredo had no more involvement with a threat to Michael.

Forgive, make peace and and send him away.

The best scene from part III was the confession scene where Michael confesses to killing his brother.

If you were that Cardinal you'd have to be thinking to yourself, "holy FRICK"
Posted by Ace Midnight
Member since Dec 2006
89504 posts
Posted on 10/9/15 at 2:13 pm to
quote:

Killing Fredo didn't stop guys from still coming after him in Part 3.

Just pretend that one didn't happen.

Or it was some crazy dream of Michael's.
first pageprev pagePage 2 of 7Next pagelast page

logoFollow TigerDroppings for LSU Football News
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to get the latest updates on LSU Football and Recruiting.

FacebookTwitterInstagram